Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXVIII: Preparing for a huge letdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Can noon tomorrow get here quick enough?

Something really nuts just came up with me and I know this may sound blasphemous to some including myself and it would be opposite anything I and most of us here want to have occur, but does anyone think it's remotely possible JG doesn't do anything really significant tomorrow at all other than maybe get a back up goalie like a Pavelec and maybe a #4 type center of the ilk of a Brian Boyle type and he calls it a day?

I know believe me, it would be pretty disappointing if this were to occur but this epiphany just occurred to me that maybe just maybe JG likes what he's done so far, wants to keep alot of this salary cap space for future moves down the road and thinks we can be competitive as is as the UFA market this year, if we all want to get honest with ourselves, really isn't all that compelling other than Shattenkirk.

It sounds crazy I know but I think maybe JG might be crazy like a fox by not doing all that much and so I think we should keep this in the back of our minds that a scenario like this where JG doesn't' do squatole for the most part, might be part JG's master plan after all....just sayin!...:popcorn:

Tomorrow is going to be amazing. I truly can't wait and can't get to sleep despite my wife asking me WTF is delaying me from coming to bed....hmmmm.....lol.
This isn't nuts and I'd be fine with it. Be conservative and wait for things to shake out. The contracts situation nowadays is a crapshoot. Lots of good players will be left on the outside looking in. There's no one out there to really chase hard. Wait and see. No need to push it. Be zen. Let it come to you, Jeff.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Considering when I'm getting home from work, I should be able to just get out of bed, pour some cereal, sit down, and then free agency begins.

I like this timeline.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
See being on the west coast is great because I will literally roll out of bed at 9am PST and everything will be going down

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Shattenkirk who fits ten needs is a gamble, but we can throw money at Marleau who is a surplus in every sense of the word. :facepalm:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Shattenkirk who fits ten needs is a gamble, but we can throw money at Marleau who is a surplus in every sense of the word. :facepalm:

I think that's a made-up rumor. I don't see the Rangers going in that direction at all. More and more I'm feeling they stay the course and just add a couple complementary parts. They won't, i hope, back-up the Brinks truck for Shattenkirk. Smith and DeAngelo are moves in the right direction. If Shattenkirk wants to come on a sweetheart deal, great. But if not, I hope JG is strong enough to resist the temptation.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think that's a made-up rumor. I don't see the Rangers going in that direction at all. More and more I'm feeling they stay the course and just add a couple complementary parts. They won't, i hope, back-up the Brinks truck for Shattenkirk. Smith and DeAngelo are moves in the right direction. If Shattenkirk wants to come on a sweetheart deal, great. But if not, I hope JG is strong enough to resist the temptation.

We desperately need a center though. Complimentary isn't getting it done with Zibanejad and Hayes down the middle.

Bringing in Thornton for two years until Andersson is ready isn't the end of the world.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
DeAngelo is a step in the right direction but AV still exists.

Hopefully Smith gets put with McDonagh, but other than that, Staal-Klein/Holden is likely to be our 2nd pair getting huge minutes, while Skjei-Kampfer rot on the third pair, and DeAngelo rots in Cledo City.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The Rangers, to me, are a solid team that, like many, lack a superstar. Superstars are hard to acquire. They will probably have to get lucky with a draft pick or a talented player who wears out his welcome somewhere and comes cheap. Something like that. There's no-one in free agency who's making them a lock for the finals. Best to just stay the course and fine tune with free agency.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Assuming we don't get Shattenkirk in 11 hours, my guess at the D is below. I honestly don't think AV will put AdA with Skjei and would rather put defensive guys with each...

27-42
76-Bereglazov
18-77

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
We desperately need a center though. Complimentary isn't getting it done with Zibanejad and Hayes down the middle.

Bringing in Thornton for two years until Andersson is ready isn't the end of the world.

For sure. I just worry about the cost. It's such a big deal, these days. Like it or not, it's a salary-capped world. As you say, a two year deal is fine. Just hope they avoid doing something rash.
I'm sending JG calming vibes. 'Feel no pressure. Let it come to you...'

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Wonder what this team would look like if we legit did NOTHING?

Absolutely nothing?

Kreider-Zibanejad-Zuccarello
Nash-Hayes-Vesey
Grabner-Miller-Fast
Puempel-Nieves-Buchnevich

McDonagh-Smith
Staal-Holden
Skjei-Kampfer

These are AV's lines of course.

Ugly, ugly, ugly.

And this is with some ~18 million in cap space. Doing nothing tomorrow would be inexcusable.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
This isn't nuts and I'd be fine with it. Be conservative and wait for things to shake out. The contracts situation nowadays is a crapshoot. Lots of good players will be left on the outside looking in. There's no one out there to really chase hard. Wait and see. No need to push it. Be zen. Let it come to you, Jeff.

I know it's not totally crazy if Ranger don't do much tomorrow but as we all know, it's for most part not the "Ranger way" to simply sit back and be conservative on FA day.

But more that I think about it, unless Shattenkirk comes to us at JG's price which likely will be less than $7.0 x 6 and more likely 6.5-6.75 x 6 at best, I really think it shouldn't be a shock if we aren't as involved in the festivities tomorrow as I originally anticipated.

There are simply not as many solid UFA additions that will be worth their inflated prices and so the prudent approach just might be to lay low and see how our existing club does from within.

And from looks of it, even if hypothetically we didn't get Shatty, our backend with the additions from the get go of Smitty,Bearclaws,DeAngelo minus Girardi, already is ALOT better than last year.

As far as fwds, Stepan needs to be replaced and so if JG either got a Sam Gagner or if not Gagner and instead got a Boyle, he rolled with a Mika,Hayes,Boyles, Boo, that could be something we can live with and see how it goe till Xmas time where some possible adjustments would need to be made as maybe we'd bring up and Andersson or something like that.

In goal, we are more than fine with Hank and let's say a Pavelec as our backup.

Obviously none of us know exactly how this is going to play out but us not doing any thing all to signifcant should be something us Ranger goombas should keep in the back of our minds despite our wish for us to make a big splash and get a Shatty. I know I for one want Shatty and think he'd be fantastic for us but, and maybe this is the alcohol speaking, I'm thinking JG might just do nothing as bizarre as that might sound...hah

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
How would we have coverage to the TSN feed for tomorrow? I know NHL network shows the sportsnet which isn't all that great.

That's all we got my friend. NHL Network begins coverage I believe at 1:00 and we'll likely get the SportsNet feed from Canada. If it's TSN, that would be even better but I think Rogers SportsNet rules the roost up in the Great White North.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL

This. If we sign Shatty our defense looks pretty good, but without other big moves we're just treading water for this season really. Next season might look better but it's a gamble.

We need much more than Shattenkirk to be competitive in our division/conference. And as far as rumors are going it doesn't seem like we're close to anything. Obviously that can all change pretty quick but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad