Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXVIII: Preparing for a huge letdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Weird beard should stay on the West Coast. His old bones can heal better if he doesn't get smacked with a NY winter.

Marleau has been linked now 2x to NYR. Guess there is interest there. Not sure why. He too is old as dirt. Both Marleau and JT I'm sure will be looking for 3 year deals. Gorton can't be that dumb, can he?

I'm not a huge advocate for adding Shattenkirk for the cost of it and long term cap implications. But if they are filling holes via FA, I'm in the camp that thinks that the better play over weird beard, and or Marleau.

TheKing30

Nov 20, 2011
NJ
Obviously, Im not going to bash anything until a move is made but the interest in Marleau and Thornton is pretty mind boggling when Shattenkirk could be had for probably 6x6.5. The only way Marleau and or Thornton makes sense is if Gorton feels like he can acquire a top young Dman. It's pretty questionable that we are in on these guys but lets see how it plays out.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'd hate Pavelex.

Awful goalie.

Benny has his magic, but take a guy like Nilsson if He's willing to sign over Pavs.

He's faced a lot of the PPs against in WPG, but even with that consideration, its awful to have a sub .900 svg.

Nilsson can go to Van and have a chance to be #1. He won't get that here.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Obviously, Im not going to bash anything until a move is made but the interest in Marleau and Thornton is pretty mind boggling when Shattenkirk could be had for probably 6x6.5. The only way Marleau and or Thornton makes sense is if Gorton feels like he can acquire a top young Dman. It's pretty questionable that we are in on these guys but lets see how it plays out.

It makes sense to me. Gorton has a multi-year plan, but wants to also compete in the short term. He's willing to sign Shattenkirk for 4 years, and Marleau/Thornton for 1/2 years, but any more than that would upset the long term plan.

Thornton makes sense short term since we traded Stepan. If we are moving Nash, Marleau makes sense short term. We could really use a RHD, but Gorton doesn't want to pay Shattenkirk big money into his mid 30s.

This is rebuilding on the fly. Get young players to build long term. Get older players on shorter term deals to compete now.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Datsyuk is finally a UFA... lol...

WIWD (What I Would Do):

Burmistrov - invite to camp, see what he's got
Sign Brian Boyle
Sign Brian Elliot
Sign Desharnais if you can't sign Boyle
Sign Shattenkirk only if it's 5 x 6.5M or in that ballpark

And not much else

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I've been hearing a lot that LA is pretty desperate for Thornton. Is it realistic that the Rangers sign him and then Trade him to Kings for Kempe or another youth?

I don't think there's any chance that happens.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Datsyuk is finally a UFA... lol...

WIWD (What I Would Do):

Burmistrov - invite to camp, see what he's got
Sign Brian Boyle
Sign Brian Elliot
Sign Desharnais if you can't sign Boyle
Sign Shattenkirk only if it's 5 x 6.5M or in that ballpark

And not much else

No chance we sign Elliot.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Sounds like Nilsson is going to Vancouver to compete for a starting job after Miller signs with a Cali team today. That's not something that the Rangers could offer.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Not worried about backup goalie. Allaire will get who he wants. Anyone not being offered way more money or a starting position would be stupid to turn us down. If you want the chance to improve your game and find a starting job in a year or two, there's no better team to sign for.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
would be very disappointed in this organization if they signed Marleau. two steps forward, one step back. unnecessary signing.

you need to look at the options...sure if we sign him for 3 years thats moronic. but if your options are marleau for 1 year and buying yourself time to find a better option or let a kid become ready. vs overpaying for bonino for 5 years than marleau isn't the worse option of the 2.

it would be more like two steps forward, pause for a minute, then hopefully start moving forward again.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
you need to look at the options...sure if we sign him for 3 years thats moronic. but if your options are marleau for 1 year and buying yourself time to find a better option or let a kid become ready. vs overpaying for bonino for 5 years than marleau isn't the worse option of the 2.

it would be more like two steps forward, pause for a minute, then hopefully start moving forward again.

Agreed. In this vein I can see why we pass on Shattenkirk. The team is regrouping, so now isn't the time to get a 1st pair rhd or get a long term center. Save your assets, save your space and wait for the right deal that fits the plan.

It's funny how a few days after losing to Ottawa everyone wanted to trade everyone. Blow it up. Tanking sounded divine. Now the addicts are back for their fix. Get everyone. Use that space. Sign Hartnell?! I like the dude but how does that fit?

Thornton and Marleau will be a package and on multi year deals. Shattenkirk will cash in. We need to sit back and be the last option available for Colorado or Winnipeg. Send Nash during the season to a contender and snag that guy ready to break out. Nash won't waive anything if Thornton is here.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Agreed. In this vein I can see why we pass on Shattenkirk. The team is regrouping, so now isn't the time to get a 1st pair rhd or get a long term center. Save your assets, save your space and wait for the right deal that fits the plan.

It's funny how a few days after losing to Ottawa everyone wanted to trade everyone. Blow it up. Tanking sounded divine. Now the addicts are back for their fix. Get everyone. Use that space. Sign Hartnell?! I like the dude but how does that fit?

Thornton and Marleau will be a package and on multi year deals. Shattenkirk will cash in. We need to sit back and be the last option available for Colorado or Winnipeg. Send Nash during the season to a contender and snag that guy ready to break out. Nash won't waive anything if Thornton is here.

If they didn't do too well this year there is some serious talent at the top of the draft. Too bad Dahlin is a lefty.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Well now tsn is reporting that pavalec to NYR is all but done, will become formal at noon

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Nilsson can go to Van and have a chance to be #1. He won't get that here.

Horrible career decision by him. If he signed here he would have been a starter in somewhere in 1.5 years and we would have received a 2nd plus or even a 1st, nothing will go right for him in Vancouver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad