Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXVIII: Preparing for a huge letdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kampfer should not see the ice for anything more than one game or two where they can't get a guy up from the minors on time. Any significant absence for a defensemen should have one of the younger defensemen coming up, and getting some games.

McD, Skjei, Smith, Staal, Holden, Bereglazov, DeAngelo, Graves and Pionk should all get minutes before Kampfer. If we have like 4 or 5 defensemen injured, then maybe he's next, but even then, you maybe consider where Zborovskiy and Day are at in their development before giving Kampfer significant time.

He should only be on the team to sit in the press box, so a younger player doesn't have to, and if they don't get rid of Holden, he probably is the starting 7D with Kampfer as his back up.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fill out the two Q's and thats my team for next season. Trade Holden, obviously try to trade Staal, but otherwise, thats the team. If you can trade Holden, Kampfer takes 7D. If you can trade Staal, Graves takes his spot, and you shuffle the pairs. If Andersson makes the team, Grabner down to 4th line, Jensen to 13F. If Nieves makes team, take away the 4C ?.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Nash-Miller-Zuccarello
Vesey-Hayes-Grabner
Jensen-?-Fast
?

McD-Skjei
Smith-Bereglazov
Staal-DeAngelo
Holden

Hank
Pavelec

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Fill out the two Q's and thats my team for next season. Trade Holden, obviously try to trade Staal, but otherwise, thats the team. If you can trade Holden, Kampfer takes 7D. If you can trade Staal, Graves takes his spot, and you shuffle the pairs. If Andersson makes the team, Grabner down to 4th line, Jensen to 13F. If Nieves makes team, take away the 4C ?.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Nash-Miller-Zuccarello
Vesey-Hayes-Grabner
Jensen-?-Fast
?

McD-Skjei
Smith-Bereglazov
Staal-DeAngelo
Holden

Hank
Pavelec

Unless they get someone or a couple players on sweetheart deals, this is fine by me as well (fwiw). Stay the course.
That said, there will be a couple nice parts available cheap I bet. A decent young defensive center maybe. Maybe a Boyle.
But this is a good group.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I would much rather do NOTHING tomorrow than set this franchise back further

The more and more i think about it I agree with you. Shattenkirk is not putting us over the top. I look at the other free agents and I'm like blah. I don't want a 38 year old with slow shot knees for more than one year. I dont want a bonino or gagner that will cost 3.5-4.5 million per for 3-5 years. Same with Marleau.

I am mentally ready for an upcoming season without the playoffs. So by some miracle getting a top 5 pick would do this franchise some real good. Maybe if we are not close to a playoff spot come trade deadline we get something decent for grabs, nash and someone like a holden.

but with That being said because Hank has about 2-3 years left the Rangers probably won't sit back and accept being a non-playoff team. Is that the right thinking? probably not but thats the way it is.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The more and more i think about it I agree with you. Shattenkirk is not putting us over the top. I look at the other free agents and I'm like blah. I don't want a 38 year old with slow shot knees for more than one year. I dont want a bonino or gagner that will cost 3.5-4.5 million per for 3-5 years. Same with Marleau.

I am mentally ready for an upcoming season without the playoffs. So by some miracle getting a top 5 pick would do this franchise some real good. Maybe if we are not close to a playoff spot come trade deadline we get something decent for grabs, nash and someone like a holden.

but with That being said because Hank has about 2-3 years left the Rangers probably won't sit back and accept being a non-playoff team. Is that the right thinking? probably not but thats the way it is.

This team should not let a goalie coming off a non NHL-starter caliber season dictate their thinking.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
This team should not let a goalie coming off a non NHL-starter caliber season dictate their thinking.

Definitely should not but if i had to guess I think he still does.
Maybe to lesser extent with Gorton than Sather but still.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Even if they do nothing else this offseason, I'm confident the Rangers make the playoffs.

If i had to put money on it i would say they sneak in somehow but its close. That might be the worst thing possible tho because we would be buyers at the trade deadline instead of sellers.
It can still be an exciting season watching guys like skjei, vesey and buch get better. Guys like Deangelo and Bereglazov bring a new element to the defense. Maybe even a guy like Pionk.
The only real anchor left on the team is Staal (considering both salary and ability).
Nash will be gone with his huge salary.
Hank will be here to the end so not really counting him. Hoping his great work ethic and pride allows him to play 3-4 years of solid hockey.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
I can understand if the gap between what we're willing to offer and what Shattenkirk will take is too big. But not even going for him, especially if they're trying to sign Thornton/Marleau, is ridiculous....

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Not saying that he is a piece that fits our puzzle, but I definitely thrink Desharnais can be a good 4th line C that also is capable for shorter stretches to fill in as an injury replacement higher up the lineup.

DD is actually a pretty similar to Dom Moore. He wasn't a top 6 center and hence failed since people -- and himself too probably -- thought so. But they had a lot of abilities that made sense on a 4th line. DD is good taking the puck up ice making his wingers better.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Not saying that he is a piece that fits our puzzle, but I definitely thrink Desharnais can be a good 4th line C that also is capable for shorter stretches to fill in as an injury replacement higher up the lineup.

DD is actually a pretty similar to Dom Moore. He wasn't a top 6 center and hence failed since people -- and himself too probably -- thought so. But they had a lot of abilities that made sense on a 4th line. DD is good taking the puck up ice making his wingers better.
I'm not cool with how his last name is spelled. Minimally, the H can go.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I can understand if the gap between what we're willing to offer and what Shattenkirk will take is too big. But not even going for him, especially if they're trying to sign Thornton/Marleau, is ridiculous....

I think many are misunderstanding what Gorton is trying to do. He don't care one bit about getting younger in terms of some kind of avg age of the roster POV. He wants to win a Cup, and don't think we can do it this year but that we can give it a better go in 2-3 years -- if -- we can add a few pieces.

To understand the implications of this -- think of how much Staal and Girardis contracts hurt us last season. If we instead of signing Girardi would have signed Sergei Gonchar to a 1 year deal and instead of signing Staal would have signed Ed Jovanovski to a 1 year deal -- we would have signed two older players, but it still would have benefitted us a ton later on, ie last season, because we wouldn't be tied up in bad commitments by then. Signing Joe T and Marleau to a 1 year deal would not hurt us one bit in 13 months if you get what I mean.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think this team is making the playoffs next season. Please don't sign any big names in free agency to big contracts. We already signed Smith to a bad contract, no more bad contracts. This team needs to understand that its window is over.

I don't think we are any better than fourth best in the Metro, which might not even be good enough to make the playoffs. And even if it is, there is no guarantee we are better than the Islanders and Flyers.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Surprising amount of solid old guys out there. Like, tons of them.
Jagr, I'd welcome back on this team any day, be it this year or in five. Obviously lots of players who you'd consider "better Rangers" cause of how long they were with the team, but the guy does hold pretty much every single season record for the team.
Hartnell is one of my favorite players in the league, but also one of the guys (and there's very few) I couldn't imagine as a Ranger. Would love him, but feel weird.
If Thornton can get Nash to grow out his beard, he'd pretty much be our best signing ever. Or at least teach Kevin Hayes how to play hockey.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Surprising amount of solid old guys out there. Like, tons of them.
Jagr, I'd welcome back on this team any day, be it this year or in five. Obviously lots of players who you'd consider "better Rangers" cause of how long they were with the team, but the guy does hold pretty much every single season record for the team.
Hartnell is one of my favorite players in the league, but also one of the guys (and there's very few) I couldn't imagine as a Ranger. Would love him, but feel weird.
If Thornton can get Nash to grow out his beard, he'd pretty much be our best signing ever. Or at least teach Kevin Hayes how to play hockey.

Everything said here is correct. Cheers.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
As much as people are critisizing the rumors I cannot blame Gorty for having potential interest in Thornton. The Rangers window is closing and we don't have many options for adding that level of talent for nothing but cap space. And don't let that scraggly grey beard fool you, he looks like he's 40+ but he's actually 37. Yeah, still old, but that beard doesn't do him any favors lol.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'd hate Pavelex.

Awful goalie.

Benny has his magic, but take a guy like Nilsson if He's willing to sign over Pavs.

He's faced a lot of the PPs against in WPG, but even with that consideration, its awful to have a sub .900 svg.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think people fail to realize the positive effect having a player like Thornton will have on the young centers. That said I wouldn't want him on a multi-year deal.

STHLM

Jun 30, 2017
Stockholm
I've been hearing a lot that LA is pretty desperate for Thornton. Is it realistic that the Rangers sign him and then Trade him to Kings for Kempe or another youth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad