Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXV: July 1st Is Coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Montreal gets Zucc and a 2018 4th round pick?

We get Galyunchuk and a 2018 2nd round pick?

1. Do you do it first off? I would

2. Does Gorton think about doing it? I think he does

3. Do the Habs do it? I think they would seriously consider it

You guys have been clamoring for something outside the box that is realistic and possible. Well does this not fit the bill?

FYI: Habs Nation aint too happy with Galy. They think he's a loafer sort of in the Alex Kovalev way when he first started wth us back in '93-'94 and who drove Colin Campbell crazy. I'd take a chance on Galy and think he'd check alot of boxes and be a nice replacement for Steps. Still need another center like maybe a Hanzel to play the tough #1's but I think this would be a pretty good start.....

Thoughts?

Zucc is worth Galchenyuk and a 1st.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Barkov, Trocheck, and Bjugstad is good Center Depth? Bjugstad sucks ass. Trade Barkov and it's horrendous

Better center depth than the Rangers.

Bjugstad moves up and gets a chance to justify that contract. Florida made a significant investment in him. McDonagh is also Bjugstad's best friend. They try to get him going. The most important player to that franchise is Ekblad and he took a major step back last year. There is no LHD depth coming to help.

I do feel Trocheck is a more realistic target though, but may as well shoot for the moon

Last edited:

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
That article didn't really scream out on Shattenkirk to me. Sounded more like "won't pay out the ass for Shattenkirk"

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Three potential cheap bottom six centers right there.

I liked Jooris in his limited time here.

Can Burmistrov still skate well? I remember him being a guy that could skate. He can also chip in on offense.

I didn't care for what I saw from Jooris and it didn't seem that the team did, either. Seems unlikely they'd bring him back right after trading him after just 12 games.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Carl Soderberg had a horrible season for Colorado. He is a much better buyout than Staal. Despite his no production for Colorado, I saw him a lot last season and he isn't worse now than he was for Boston. I've never been a fan but he is an OK player. Staal for Soderberg? Don't like it that much myself. Wouldn't be a horrible option though. Play Soderberg one year then buy him out, think it would be 1.2, 2, 1.5 and 1.5. You get rid of 4 years of Staal.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Can Burmistrov still skate well? I remember him being a guy that could skate. He can also chip in on offense.

I didn't care for what I saw from Jooris and it didn't seem that the team did, either. Seems unlikely they'd bring him back right after trading him after just 12 games.

I felt like he was the victim of some tough luck, and they then shipped him somewhere where he was more likely to play once it was clear he'd been passed on the depth chart. You do make a good point that it's unlikely he comes back to a team that traded him, however.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Carl Soderberg had a horrible season for Colorado. He is a much better buyout than Staal. Despite his no production for Colorado, I saw him a lot last season and he isn't worse now than he was for Boston. I've never been a fan but he is an OK player. Staal for Soderberg? Don't like it that much myself. Wouldn't be a horrible option though.

I actually like that trade but I don't think Staal waives for Colorado.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Brooks has good sources. Who floated the idea about a Stepan trade? Brooks, then Step was traded. NYR negotiate with Shatty through Brooks -- Brooks say he isn't coming here. Let's see if Brooks right again.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
McD-Shattenkirk
Skjei-DeAngelo
Staal-?

nope.

27/42
76/77
18/bear
kampfer

thats the way i see it

i prefer smith over shatty on the 1st pair and i prefer smith and deangelo over shatty and deangelo just for the way the defense looks.

i think we need to resign smith more than shatty at this point.

skjei seems to have more offensive upside than thought and deangelo certainly has skills there.

brendan smith brings to this defense a different look and can play big minutes with 27

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

“But they’ve also got to stay competitive, because it’s New York. You can’t just say, ‘Ah, we’re going to tear down, build it up, and if we’re really bad for five years the fans of New York will be really understanding about it. They’ll just hang in with us.’ Well, no. they probably won’t.

I really wish the media would stop speaking for Ranger fans. This myth that it's somehow our fault that the Rangers never rebuild needs to go away.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Late to the party:

Barkov is a complete stud and would require buch going with significant adds. If you're going to look to Florida to trade a d man than the guy would be bjugstad. If staal would waive than the staal bjugstad idea would possibly make sense, but I doubt he waives.

Are there any reports linking nyr to RNH or is this speculation? I wouldn't hate it if they retained salary on his contract, otherwise at 6mil you pass.

I don't want Andersson playing here this year. I want him to stay where he is and develop his O game more. No need for another Elias Lindholm situation...

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
nope.

27/42
76/77
18/bear
kampfer

thats the way i see it

i prefer smith over shatty on the 1st pair and i prefer smith and deangelo over shatty and deangelo just for the way the defense looks.

i think we need to resign smith more than shatty at this point.

skjei seems to have more offensive upside than thought and deangelo certainly has skills there.

brendan smith brings to this defense a different look and can play big minutes with 27

Shattenkirk is a much better player than Smith, it's not particularly close. PLus LHD-RHD is much better than LHD-LHD.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If Arizona didn't even qualify them, why consider them?

Burmistrov had an AAV of over $1.5 and AZ probably didn't feel he was worth the QO. That's not uncommon. Doesn't mean he's not a capable player.

As for the other two, Arizona now has Stepan followed by Domi, Strome, Dvorak and Keller as young guys who can push for time at center this year. Add in that they have Dave Bolland and his NTC and there's not a lot of room for Burmistrov, Jooris and Holland to play, particularly on a team like Arizona that is committed to youth. Doesn't mean they're bad players.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I was on the Thornton wagon when I thought as an over 35 player he would get that 1 year deals are obvious. But it seems like he is set on a multi year contract and if he accepts a 1 year deal, SJ is there with open arms. I have moved on from this idea.

I keep reading about how Vegas had a ton of leverage before the draft and now it is flipped. Teams are low balling now that vegas has too many players. It also seems like they have a bunch of left d and only a few right d, maybe someone can break it down better than I can. But if Vegas settled for a 5th rounder on Schlemko, would they be open to Holden and a late pick for Lindberg? Holden can play the right and got 34 points last season, he has positive value. I hope we explore it.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Fans here are really overrating Smith.. He was good sure, but how much of that was because outside of Mcdonagh and Skjei everyone else was deplorable?...

I'm tired of the Rangers paying for "good players" go get a difference making defenseman.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Shattenkirk is a much better player than Smith, it's not particularly close. PLus LHD-RHD is much better than LHD-LHD.

well not sure about that

shattenkirk is a very good player but smith is as well.

for the money, it evens out a little more. smith can play the right side and did for us. he kills penalties. he adds some snarl and physicallity and he can log big minutes. he offers more ability to play 1st pair than does kevin shattenkirk.

what shatty does well, deangelo can do for much less.

not sure i chase shatty too hard. in fact, deangelo gives us some leverage in that negotiation.

i would love them both but can we afford that ? i prefer that $$ go to more of a need than a want.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I'm not as sold on Smith being as good as people think on here.. He was pretty bad for a while in Detroit, he was good for us, no dobut, but are we overrating him because we had Holden, Staal, Girardi and god knows what else?

I mean a lot of people thought Clendening was serviceable (myself included), but maybe he was just the best of an awful group

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I really wish the media would stop speaking for Ranger fans. This myth that it's somehow our fault that the Rangers never rebuild needs to go away.

Well, I wouldn't be okay with being really bad for five years. If we were already really bad I could maybe see a true rebuild feature five years of bad teams, but we have far too much talent on the roster right now to need five years for a true rebuild.

If we went from what we are now to five consecutive years of being terrible, that would **** me off and I would not be okay with that. In general I'm okay with retooling for a season or two, but there's no need to completely tear down a very competitive squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad