Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXV: July 1st Is Coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Stepan was traded for a 21y/o Shattenkirk that is on an ELC....

I think there will be an off the radar trade for a C from a team that wants to free up some cap space. Don't know who or what, but cap space will become a valuable commodity after free agency opens up.

Shattenkirk is the 2nd best defenseman in hockey on the power play over the last 4 years, behind only EK...

Rangers would be doing FLIPS if Deangelo comes ANYWHERE near close to that

glees68

Penn State
Dec 20, 2008
Pittsburgh
I saw that as McKenzie saying the Rangers won't overpay, and that it will be up to Shattenkirk to decide if he'll take less to play for NYR. Which makes sense to me :dunno:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Unless the plan is to run Smith or DeAngelo with Mac on the top pairing, I don't see the plan here

We're in a holding pattern at the moment waiting for free agency to start, so we can get an idea of direction of the team

Procrastinator

Aug 7, 2005
Jumbo shrimp?

Isn't Marleau an ufa?

Much rather sign him to a 2 year deal then jumbo choke.

Guy still has wheels and fits AV's system much better.

Or am I wrong?

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
"because Henrik is here"

same reason the Yankees refused to do it until Jeter and Rivera were gone.

I don't think its quite the same. Besides, the Yankees still have to get rid of a few contracts. Namely, Ellsbury and Hedley.
As for Henrik, I have to believe that Gorton knows what he has in Shestyorkin and is planning around that transition. Being contenders and starting then inevitably becoming the back up.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I saw that as McKenzie saying the Rangers won't overpay, and that it will be up to Shattenkirk to decide if he'll take less to play for NYR. Which makes sense to me :dunno:

Whats overpaying? Like would he take 6M per year for the Ranger instead of 7 from someone else?..

I mean if that's what they mean fine..

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Been trying to think of some other options that haven't been discussed all too much or at least not alot. What do you think of this option

What about the possibility of doing a deal for Galyunchuk with Montreal along the lines like we did with Ottawa when we dealt Brass and higher '18 pick for Mika and a 2nd round '18 pick.

Galyunchuk has a ton of talent and it seems as if his time in Montreal is not going well at all. The fanbase is already blaming him for last year's playoff defeat vs us. I do'nt know, maybe we can sniff around for him. I'd love to have a kid with his talent level playing the middle.

I'm trying to come up with a deal that would work for both teams. I don't want to deal Zucc but I'd not be surprised if Habs traded us Galy and a 2nd round '18 pick for Zucc and a 4th round '18 pick.

I'd be a bit gun shy about doing this cause Zucc is one of my favorite Rangers of the last 20 years and don't want to see him on another team but he was the first person I thought of that Habs might take from us in return for Galy that continues the "retool on the fly" and takes care of the center void with Steps gone. Zucc could be replaced a bit more easy. I don't know....what ya think fellas?

Am I as nuts as Greg S for his thinking Jumbo,Jagr and Nash would work as aline or just slightly less with my thoughts on the Galyunchuk possibility?....lol

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
"because Henrik is here"

same reason the Yankees refused to do it until Jeter and Rivera were gone.

I think the reason is the same for both teams...

$$$$$$$$

But the Rangers aren't filled with grounded down veterans like the Yankees were last year. If they can embrace the suck for a year, 2 tops, they can get things turned around pretty quickly.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
bobby mac knows his stuff. thats a telling article.

what he's saying has been said here alot and its accurate. everything he said is accurate. why we made the deal, what we thought of stepan, what we can do now, and what kind of player we got back in deangelo and especially the lias andersson pick.

andersson may well break camp with the team. thats the plan i tell ya and why he was taken over other higher touted but less ready prospects. this kid can step in and play and when you are the nyr and you need cap to compete, you must have elc guys and young guys on value deals PLAY MINUTES and contribute you cannot have a team full of nash, stepan, staal and girardis.

that article is spot on. thats the plan. create cap room, get younger and more skilled, improve the defense and rely on those forwards especially that are ready for prime time.

its their time now. mika, kevin hayes, jt miler, buchnevich, vesey, brady and now tony d. time to shine.

Last edited:

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

“Listen – Derek Stepan is a good NHL center. He’s money in the bank for 50 points. But he’s got a contract that kicks in with a full no-trade on July 1. He’s got four years left at $6.5 million. The Rangers are looking at what he did for them for $6.5 million. They’re looking at his age. They’re looking at their team. They’re looking at the need to get younger and to transition.

Bob is right ... and if this is the strategy, Nash, Mac, and Zucc should all be moved (maybe not right this min, but when the iron is hot)

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I had to think about this for a while and in all honesty it the pros out weigh the cons.
What could happen? Rangers land their #1C for the next decade or Edmonton matches and the Rangers walk away with a bunch of draft picks while forcing Edmonton to deal with paying the rest of their team. Stones... that the question.

I hear ya and your idea isn't out of wack.

Unfortunately in the NHL there is the old boy network and in this network there is an "unwritten rule" that you don't go poaching other teams restricted FA's. It's simply not a strategy that is done. As much as it would sweet to sign a Draisitle to a contract that we would hope Oilers couldn't match, we'd be black balled by the NHL community for the next decade and good luck to Gorton and the Rangers pulling off any trades going forward. It would be back to the "dark ages"....lol

It's just not a move NHL teams do despite how tempting it is as the ramifications are so severe

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Unfortunately in the NHL there is the old boy network and in this network there is an "unwritten rule" that you don't go poaching other teams restricted FA's. It's simply not a strategy that is done. As much as it would sweet to sign a Draisitle to a contract that we would hope Oilers couldn't match, we'd be black balled by the NHL community for the next decade and good luck to Gorton and the Rangers pulling off any trades going forward. It would be back to the "dark ages"....lol

It's just not a move NHL teams do despite how tempting it is as the ramifications are so severe

Off topic, but they need to come up with some sort of system so that there's more of a "law" that you can actually go after other teams RFA's.. THe offer sheet has so much stigma around it its practically useless

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I love how much offda's perception of Shattenkirk has changed because we got Deangelo :laugh:

It's silly to think his 40 game sample size shows us that he can replicate what Shattenkirk does. Same with how people think Skjei can step in for McDonagh.

Also, please stop bringing up RNH. People complained about Stepan's $6M cap hit, and then they bring up RNH who's worse. Aim younger. Go for a Sam Bennet or Henrik Borgstrom.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Rangers wouldn't get any draft picks.. only Edmonton would if they didn't match.

Exactly correct Lundy. And why would we want to give up our future again that we are trying to get back after years of giving up all these #1's.

More importantly tho as I just eluded too in my previous post, the ramifications and "unofficial blackballing" of our organization as I said would be so severe, the Rangers would wish they were playing in the KHL for the next decade.

It's great to fantasize about but it's just something I know I just move on from and don't even consider.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY

Really trying to think outside the box. That kid would solve a lot of our problems. Also trying to think what the strategy is going forward.
If they're looking to retool and not rebuild then players like Zucc and McD have to be thought of as being on the table. Can't see Nash or Staal being moved this season.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Really trying to think outside the box. That kid would solve a lot of our problems. Also trying to think what the strategy is going forward.
If they're looking to retool and not rebuild then players like Zucc and McD have to be thought of as being on the table. Can't see Nash or Staal being moved this season.

If they're rebuilding EVERY veteran over 26 should be on the table, every single one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino