Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXV: July 1st Is Coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
4 or 5 / Y?

That is insanity. His max should be 2M/Y.

Dude...he's making 1.9 now. He's not signing anywhere for that again especially considering his contributions to two Cup winners. Dude you are the one who is insane if you think he's only worth 2 mill per year. Have you even seen him play? He's definitely gotten better as a player and yes it's a nice gig playing behind 2 HOF players. But still,he'd be a nice get for us and pretty good replacement for Step.

So seeing that he will easily be able to command close to 4/4.5 per year, yeah I'd think we are likely out of the running for him.

But it's not insanity for us to pay him 3.5 for 4 if he would come to us for that. He deserves a raise. He's a good player and checks alot of boxes. No he's not elite but he deserves to get paid. I don't go to 4.0 but I'm willing to compromise and double his 1.9 and go to 3.75..3.8 x 4 and frankly, I think that would be pretty good deal for us and for him.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Sorry but if we are trading for RNH, we were better off keeping Stepan at his cap hit.

That depends... it would not be if the cost to acquire Nugent Hopkins is a throwaway prospect and a 3rd rounder in 2018

You would go from:

a 26 year old player
who is slowing down
with a 4 year $6.5M/per contract
a NMC for the first 2
a M-NTC for the last 2
+
An Above Average Backup Goalie
2018 3rd Round Pick
Ryan Gropp (for trade purposes to Edmonton)

To:
a 19 year old nearly NHL ready prospect (Andersson)
a 21 year old ooze-full-of-talent offensive defenseman (DeAngelo)
a 24 year old with 4 years remaining on their contract at $6M/year and NO clauses
a backup goalie for under $1M

Arguably, no, Rangers still got quite the haul for Stepan, and if RNH is cheap, it's worth it to try and get him

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
Regarding all the losing our #1C Talk...

Thing is, I don't think the Rangers were ever a big 1st - 4th line team. They were more of a top 3, then 4th line where the top 3 lines had pretty even skill distribution. We saw moments where Hayes' line checked the other top line. Other times, it was definitely Step. I've also seen Zibby with the assignments.

I'm on board with the committee approach, only if the talent distributed over those 3 lines are all decent and interchangeable.

Other systems that I felt deployed a similar forward set:

- Bruins (especially the cup winning team that was partially constructed by Gorton)
- Nashville (a team with some good skill, also littered with role players throughout the lineup)
- Kings (helped that they hit on Kopitar, but came in waves with lines that were difficult to match)

We might need to have some open minds about what our first line or #1 Center is, since from the moves so far, we're moving to a 3 2nd line type of team.

Judging by the players we have on board, we can still ice a solid set of forwards (especially if we spend on a couple of mid tier forwards). Vigneault's system is good for a forward reclamation project (see Grabner, Pouliot).

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
rnh does nothing for us.

you dont move step then use that cap to replace him with rnh.

were trying to get better younger cheaper and more talented.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
In the previous thread, someone mentioned Kruger. What would the asset be to have us take on his contract? What would fans want to be our "TT"?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Gorden View Post
I don't think they cleared Stepan's cap space only to have it almost completely eaten up by an inferior player.

Exactly. If you're moving on from Stepan ... it better be for an upgrade. Anything less is moving backwards.

GG...how is giving 3.5-3.75 x 4 "almost completely eating up the cap space" we saved when we sent Stepan to 'Zona and saved 6.5?

My math says it would be about 1/2 the cap space still left in the coffers. Listen, we all know it's likely not going to happen that Bonino settles for less than 4.0 and more than likely 4.5 for 4. So we are all in agreement there. Let me repeat, we are in agreement. As much as I think an "inferior" Bonino would be our best fit to fill the Steps void, I'm not going over 3.5-3.75 for him.

GG, if by chance Bonino wanted to come here and would take 3.75 x 4 would you give it to him? 40-45 type center who can do the PP/PK and is a very good defensive player wouldn't be a nice addition to this team? And we'd still have saved 3 million from the Steps salary cap savings.

It's a no brainer for me if Bonino would sign for that but he won't. I just want to know if he did, you could see the value in that compared to the alternatives which frankly aint much other than Hanzel, Gagner or making JT a fulltime center.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Gorden View Post
I don't think they cleared Stepan's cap space only to have it almost completely eaten up by an inferior player.

Exactly. If you're moving on from Stepan ... it better be for an upgrade. Anything less is moving backwards.

GG...how is giving 3.5-3.75 x 4 "almost completely eating up the cap space" we saved when we sent Stepan to 'Zona and saved 6.5?

My math says it would be about 1/2 the cap space still left in the coffers. Listen, we all know it's likely not going to happen that Bonino settles for less than 4.0 and more than likely 4.5 for 4. So we are all in agreement there. Let me repeat, we are in agreement. As much as I think an "inferior" Bonino would be our best fit to fill the Steps void, I'm not going over 3.5-3.75 for him.

GG, if by chance Bonino wanted to come here and would take 3.75 x 4 would you give it to him? 40-45 type center who can do the PP/PK and is a very good defensive player wouldn't be a nice addition to this team? And we'd still have saved 3 million from the Steps salary cap savings.

It's a no brainer for me if Bonino would sign for that but he won't. I just want to know if he did, you could see the value in that compared to the alternatives which frankly aint much other than Hanzel, Gagner or making JT a fulltime center.

I was responding to those who wanted RNH, not Bonino. RNH carries a 6m cap hit. When you factor in DeAngelo's ELC, we'd actually be adding cap.

FTR, I don't want Bonino either. He would have been an excellent fit for this team in 2015, not so much anymore.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I'm pretty sure they'll get one of the vet FA centers to mix around with Zib and Hayes in the top three lines. It would be very un-Rangerslike to pencil them in at 1 and 2 with no competition when they're not really there yet.

I think we've done well with player development because we've been careful about avoiding that kind of stuff.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I was responding to those who wanted RNH, not Bonino. RNH carries a 6m cap hit. When you factor in DeAngelo's ELC, we'd actually be adding cap.

FTR, I don't want Bonino either. He would have been an excellent fit for this team in 2015, not so much anymore.

Ahhh...thought you were commenting upon Bonino. I think you are wrong but we'll agree to disagree. Bonino could help us this year for sure but at a reasonable price and I think you guys are going to end up being right and he's going to want alot more than the 3.75 I'd be willing to pay him...sigh.

RNH you couldn't pay me to want him. Never have liked his play...too soft and way overrated.

Much rather have Bonino or Hanzel especially at the price he'll likley command which will be in the 3.5 for 3 range.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Unless Rangers are getting a CLEAR uprade to Hayes as the 2C (he put up 50 points as a 3C last year, so who knows?)... I'd much rather just see what happens with Zibanejad and Hayes and see if they can continue to develop their games and improve.

Trading for RNH does nothing for me. Kevin hayes has actually been better than him the last 2 years and he costs us nothing to get.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Sign Jumbo and Jagr.

Nash - Jumbo - Jagr

Would be one of the best #fancystat lines in the league.

If they score 25 goals between the three of them it would be good.
We can call it the molasses line. Nash will look like pavel bure in his prime on that line.
Oh and bring on the aleve and ice after every game.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Hanzal is going to get paid, but he's interesting as far as a big defensive center, anyone care to tell me who's playing against the tougher forwards in the last minutes of games?.... Stepan gone, Lindberg gone... Zibanejad and Hayes are mostly offense...

So he kinda fits, but he will be overpaid, so pass.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Hate to say it but Jumbo Joe will get a lot of interest. No way i give him more than a year or two with that kind of knee injury at 38

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Hanzal is going to get paid, but he's interesting as far as a big defensive center, anyone care to tell me who's playing against the tougher forwards in the last minutes of games?.... Stepan gone, Lindberg gone... Zibanejad and Hayes are mostly offense...

Clearly the Rangers will be dressing 8 defensemen and will be rolling in 2 lines of 3D and 2 wingers. They will concede on faceoffs.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I keep seeing Thornton's name and people bringing up the fact that he had 82 points just a season ago. Then in my head I just keep reliving "fitness fanatic" and "won the Art Ross a year ago" and "look at those thighs".

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

If he'd be willing to come here as I said for 3.5 x 3, I don't necessarily think that's over paid...do you?

Now if he wants 4.0 or more...well yeah that's over payment. But he's making 3.1 right now, you have to think even tho his year was spotty at best with the market for centers being pretty feeble, he'll likley ask for minimum of 3.75 to 4.0 and he'd likely settle at 3.5.

If he did that, as you said as I agree with you 100%, Hanzel would be the guy to take on the Steps roll as playing against opposing #1 guy and he has skills. My only real issue with Hanzel is he's not exactly the most durable guy in the world and that was one thing with Steps we never really had an issue with. But yeah Hanzel will be a guy I bet JG will speak with and see if he'd come here for reasonable dollars and for reasonable term as well.

3.5 x 3 seems reasonable for Hanzel and I likely pull the trigger...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->