Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXV: July 1st Is Coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
True. No idea what he plan is right now. If they sign Shattenkirk, I get it. If they just leave the cap space 'til the dog days of August, I'm gonna be confused.

Furthermore, if you have no intention of competing right now THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST ****ING KEEP GIRARDI?????

No, give me all the hope in the world first, let it ferment for a month, and then tell me we're rebuilding.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
You'd have to imagine if they are going to use the cap space to make a deal to absorb a bad contract it would be before July 1st so that the team freeing up cap space would be able to sign someone they want to in FA. Of course it could still happen in the wake of all of that, but it is probably less likely unless the team needs to the money for an RFA.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That's the big question. What are they trying to do? They want to get young when the majority of the team is between 23-28, but their best player is 35.

They might not want to sign Shattenkirk, just traded their best center, need 2 top-4 RD, and 2 center icemen. Plus their best Defenseman and Forward are 2 years from UFA. I

Everyone is already 25.

But everyone could be 22.

Stanley Cup here we come.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
You'd have to imagine if they are going to use the cap space to make a deal to absorb a bad contract it would be before July 1st so that the team freeing up cap space would be able to sign someone they want to in FA. Of course it could still happen in the wake of all of that, but it is probably less likely unless the team needs to the money for an RFA.

makes no sense for the team to take on a bad contract, let the kids play if they're gonna do something stupid.

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Gorden View Post
I don't think they cleared Stepan's cap space only to have it almost completely eaten up by an inferior player.

Exactly. If you're moving on from Stepan ... it better be for an upgrade. Anything less is moving backwards.

GG...how is giving 3.5-3.75 x 4 "almost completely eating up the cap space" we saved when we sent Stepan to 'Zona and saved 6.5?

My math says it would be about 1/2 the cap space still left in the coffers. Listen, we all know it's likely not going to happen that Bonino settles for less than 4.0 and more than likely 4.5 for 4. So we are all in agreement there. Let me repeat, we are in agreement. As much as I think an "inferior" Bonino would be our best fit to fill the Steps void, I'm not going over 3.5-3.75 for him.

GG, if by chance Bonino wanted to come here and would take 3.75 x 4 would you give it to him? 40-45 type center who can do the PP/PK and is a very good defensive player wouldn't be a nice addition to this team? And we'd still have saved 3 million from the Steps salary cap savings.

It's a no brainer for me if Bonino would sign for that but he won't. I just want to know if he did, you could see the value in that compared to the alternatives which frankly aint much other than Hanzel, Gagner or making JT a fulltime center.

It's not a savings of 6.5. You need to subtract DeAngelo's contract. Don't know what it is but the difference is what you are saving.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
That would be like the brassard/zib trade, sign me up.

Lundy...where have you been? I was thinking outside of the box as I was sick of the names we kept thowing out there. Right now Gally is in the doghouse in Montreal. We really should pounce while the pouncing is good

But yes Mika for Brassard and an exchange of picks was pretty much exactly what I was using as my guide to get Galy here and take care of the Stepan problem....:)

And the one name that kept coming up for me was Zucc as he'd be a guy Bergervin would have a hard time turning down. Habs would than be in the market for a center and maybe they would go out and pay what it took to get a Bonino or Hanzel with Gagne as another option. I know they are going thru alot of adgida deciding what to do with Radulov who is looking for crazy money.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Keep in mind, they could just be not qualifying them because of how much the QOs cost or if they're working on a long-term deal. Then again, the Avs could just be the Avs and not qualify Grigorenko for the hell of it.

Didn't jay from jersey mention his name too?

Edit: I wouldn't write him off just yet. He's 23 and has been stuck in two of the worst franchises these past 5 years. Poor kid went from the historically bad Sabres to the ****ing Avs.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC

Teams can go over the cap for the off-season, so it's conceivable that there's a big signing before the trade that gets you under the cap.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Burmistrov would be really intriguing. The guy is solid defensively. His offense just started to blossom after being picked up by Arizona. I think if he's given an ice role I think he could be a really nice pickup. I believe the Rangers liked him in his draft year

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Traded a 27 year old 60 point center
Dont want a 28 year old 50 point RHD

Rebuild is the only thing that makes sense.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Traded a 27 year old 60 point center
Dont want a 28 year old 50 point RHD

Rebuild is the only thing that makes sense.

But a 23 year old 60-70 point type center coming to NY in return for a 29 year old winger as popular and loved as he is, does make sense and it fits in the narrative of "retooling on the fly".

This makes alot more sense than giving up assets to get a Duchene and Mac. I hope JG is talking with Bergervin as we speak.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If we're rebuilding, why are Nash, Zucc, Grabner, Holden, Staal, and most importantly, Lundqvist, still on the roster?

Sure, the off-season is long, but a blow-up like that? That needs to have started moving.

This is no rebuild.

Maybe we underestimate just how bad the FO wanted Stepan gone?... which... well... yeah.

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
they have a guy who can run a pp already for alot less money

trust me, they have deangelo to do just that.

hes here for that reason more than any other.

This is why I see them passing on Shattenkirk. I see them signing Smith and then this will be their year of taking a step back for two steps forward. Move Miller to the center for this year and than go all in for Taveras next year.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Been trying to think of some other options that haven't been discussed all too much or at least not alot. What do you think of this option

What about the possibility of doing a deal for Galyunchuk with Montreal along the lines like we did with Ottawa when we dealt Brass and higher '18 pick for Mika and a 2nd round '18 pick.

Galyunchuk has a ton of talent and it seems as if his time in Montreal is not going well at all. The fanbase is already blaming him for last year's playoff defeat vs us. I do'nt know, maybe we can sniff around for him. I'd love to have a kid with his talent level playing the middle.

I'm trying to come up with a deal that would work for both teams. I don't want to deal Zucc but I'd not be surprised if Habs traded us Galy and a 2nd round '18 pick for Zucc and a 4th round '18 pick.

I'd be a bit gun shy about doing this cause Zucc is one of my favorite Rangers of the last 20 years and don't want to see him on another team but he was the first person I thought of that Habs might take from us in return for Galy that continues the "retool on the fly" and takes care of the center void with Steps gone. Zucc could be replaced a bit more easy. I don't know....what ya think fellas?

Am I as nuts as Greg S for his thinking Jumbo,Jagr and Nash would work as aline or just slightly less with my thoughts on the Galyunchuk possibility?....lol

I can totally get on board for a trade for Gally. I think Montreal doesn't know how to use him.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
If we're rebuilding, why are Nash, Zucc, Grabner, Holden, Staal, and most importantly, Lundqvist, still on the roster?

Sure, the off-season is long, but a blow-up like that? That needs to have started moving.

This is no rebuild.

Maybe we underestimate just how bad the FO wanted Stepan gone?... which... well... yeah.

It doesn't make sense. The two are incompatible. And the fact that it started with Stepan is insane.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It doesn't make sense. The two are incompatible. And the fact that it started with Stepan is insane.

Think they were just as afraid of his contract as some HF posters were.

Not like the Rangers FO has an amazing track record. Best move they ever made is one of the best goalies in the world falling to 205th. A lot of front-office staff and players have built their careers on Hank's back.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Montreal gets Zucc and a 2018 4th round pick?

We get Galyunchuk and a 2018 2nd round pick?

1. Do you do it first off? I would

2. Does Gorton think about doing it? I think he does

3. Do the Habs do it? I think they would seriously consider it

You guys have been clamoring for something outside the box that is realistic and possible. Well does this not fit the bill?

FYI: Habs Nation aint too happy with Galy. They think he's a loafer sort of in the Alex Kovalev way when he first started wth us back in '93-'94 and who drove Colin Campbell crazy. I'd take a chance on Galy and think he'd check alot of boxes and be a nice replacement for Steps. Still need another center like maybe a Hanzel to play the tough #1's but I think this would be a pretty good start.....

Thoughts?

I'd do it for Hayes or Miller but not Zucc. He drives this offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad