Speculation: Roster Building Thread 2019-20: Part XXIX

If the lowest Kreider will accept is 7x7 (likely with some sort of NMC), do you...

• Trade him

• Sign him

• Rent him for the playoffs and let him walk as a UFA

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
4 games to the trade deadline.

1 game the day after the deadline (Isles)

Almost a certainty there will be a new roster player that day. Who will it be.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Maybe on Hank's next home start the Garden crowd can start and carry it through the whole game....Farewell to The King !!!! He might get the hint LOL... Or have the whole crowd show up with signs that read , Thanks for the Memories Hank !!!! As it is now...the only way he leaves is with a BO on his current deal....still all about the money with Hank .

Edit...hate to be hateful but truthfully I'm looking forward to the next 10 years and not looking at the last 10 .

basically did this to messier seeemed to work lol

Reactions: leetch99

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
That has become my mantra here - and in general. Forcing things, trying to manufacture an outcome, just doesn’t work. Let the chips fall where they may. C’est la vie is a terrific saying. Do the right thing, adjust, be constructive, and things tend to fall into place. When one door closes, another one opens.
Sorry to be so trite but I think it’s great advice from an old head.
Gotta make a distinction between « forcing things » and someone having fun projecting deadline and line ups. Unsolicited advice is a tricky thing to master, good luck with it

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I hope we judge Kreider as the 50 point player he actually is, and not the P/GP player he seemed to be the last few weeks.

Sell high
he's been playing at a near p/pg pace for a few months, not a few weeks.

last 29 games - 17 goals 12 assists

Last edited:

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
I think in a world where the Rangers didn’t have both Shesterkin and Georgiev, it’s much less of an option. But for how this team is built right now, I think we have to accept it as a distinct possibility.

You’re right, Lundqvist can still play - and that’s what makes the situation even more unfortunate in many ways. But, strictly from a business perspective, if Lundqvist were to walk away, the savings on his salary would reverberate throughout the entire organization.

Let’s say he actually did retire - $8.5 million allows the Rangers to resign Kreider, extend ADA, and possibly also extend Fast. And they’d do all of this while essentially maintaining the cap space they have this season to improve other areas. Then, on top of that, you have additional money coming off the books in 2021.

Now you have a situation where if/when you move guys like Buch, Strome, a package of prospects, you don’t have to obsess over taking back multiple salaries or a larger individual salary.

It’s controversial, and it’s not a happy ending per se. But if we’re looking at the hard truth of a best path forward that maximizes assets, reduces some risk, and provides flexibility, the sad truth is that not having Hank around, and getting back as much of his salary as possible, is one of the more cunning options out there.

Now this should be an article in the Atlantic

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Maybe on Hank's next home start the Garden crowd can start and carry it through the whole game....Farewell to The King !!!! He might get the hint LOL... Or have the whole crowd show up with signs that read , Thanks for the Memories Hank !!!! As it is now...the only way he leaves is with a BO on his current deal....still all about the money with Hank .

Edit...hate to be hateful but truthfully I'm looking forward to the next 10 years and not looking at the last 10 .
Well the first half of your post is absolutely not happening. The sarcastic, distasteful, disrespectful, and ungrateful sentiment of the select few on this board does not represent the fan base. And while we all recognize this is a unique and difficult situation to navigate, we are not going to be so disingenuous as to show up with signs hoping to push an icon out the door on his ass, one who has had a HOF career and whom this franchise has everything to be thankful for because if he did not exist, they would have not had the success they did from 2007-2015. They still would have been in the depths of hell even with Jagr going bananas post lockout with the new rules and freedoms granted to the offensively gifted. So quickly do some of you all forget.

The one quip about it being all about the money with Hank...what are you implying? That Hank should be unlike every other professional and walk away from the money? Or that he is greedy because he has made “enough” money, in the eyes of a fan albeit, and he can survive without the extra millions. Its just not how it works. He earned his contract. He deserves his money and there should be no further jabs at him with regard to it.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
People calling the Rangers/Lundqvist situation a “soap opera” and a “NY Drama” need to step away from the hockey blogs for a little while. Seems to me this situation has been handled quite admirably by both sides.

IMO, the situation has been quiet b/c the media doesn’t cover hockey the way it does baseball or football. Hank would be getting the Eli treatment otherwise. The drama would be much higher if this wasn’t hockey. No question the ridicule would be through the roof.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
If nothing else Lundqvist should stay just so he can save the team from themselves

I’d much rather have his salary come off the books in two years and potentially use it then

it’s the roster spot which is the problem. Agree about the money. The Rangers don’t necessarily need it and without access to it they can’t spend it. Yet, this extra roster spot is a problem and if this long shot team makes the playoffs it will be a disaster. IMO, then you may see the local media start hammering away and rightfully so.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
he's been playing at a near p/pg pace for a few months, not a few weeks.

last 29 games - 17 goals 12 assists

I was a Kreider critic. But my eye test is showing me an improved player whose skills are improving. Unless my eyes need a checkup...I sign him

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I hope we judge Kreider as the 50 point player he actually is, and not the P/GP player he seemed to be the last few weeks.

Sell high

I think the surrounding cast makes Kreider more productive yet he’s the same player. He was in shooting position for that game winner last night yet it was the dish from Panarin to Fox, who made a great backhanded pass to Zibby who hit Kreider. Yes, he buried the shot yet our previous cast of players don’t get him the puck.

Gordon has find (or the kid is developing) the next player to bury that puck IMO.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
The rebuild has various components .....saying goodbye to Mac,Stephan etc was the start and the toughest is next....... Hank....which doesn't bring us an asset in return but allows us to manage our current assets better.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Had a chance to connect with a bunch of guys in my network recent;y. Not Ranger related, but summary notes below:

• Travis Hamonic will more than likely end up on the Jets, as a UFA.
  • Jets feel that adding Hamonic, and signing Samberg will help form a top 4 unit next year. One of the reasons they wanted Pionk was because of Neal's relationship with Samberg. They are from the same hometown in Minnesota.
  • The Capitals are set to make a couple of more runs. Due to the way they managed the cap, they end up needing depth pieces at the deadline. Those guys cost 2nd-4th rounders. It's a really good way of team-building.
  • As shared with some previously, Vegas needs defensemen that can skate. They are vulnerable off the rush, and their counter-attack from the backend doesn't exist without Theodore or Schmidt. They won't be winning this way.
  • If you are going to make a trade with Tampa- ask for Mathieu Joseph. The Lightning have found roles for themselves up-front and he's the odd-man out. Tampa also has 3-4 forwards in the AHL that can step in. TB needs cost controlled defensemen. They are not worried about the cap, they have to pay Cirelli, Cernak, and Segachev. Expect those guys to get 3 year bridge deals.
  • The Foote brothers in Tampa will both make a push next year. Nolan is healthy, and was treated for an injury that he played through all of last year. It caused him to slip in the draft, but it's good to see the kid rehab accordingly. Fits the size, speed, skill quotient that you want to see.
  • Cal needs to fill the Jan Ruuta role. Be a good PKer, and take away half the ice. He's close to the show.
  • There are a number of teams with underperforming cores in the league today. The question for those teams becomes whether or not that they can with their mix.
  • Nashville changed their philosophy to sign long term deals after the Suter-Weber debacle of 2012. It's why you see all of their guys get 6-8 year contracts. The problem with that is that they are now locked in with the same set of guys. Would not be surprised if they move out a name player or two this summer.
  • No body wants Kyle Turris.
  • One of the trends you'll see teams using, is to shift older top 6 centers onto wings. League is faster than ever, and it helps keep the older legs fresh. Think Claude Giroux, and Steven Stamkos.
  • The Ducks are going to go on a full teardown. That is not a market that can be profitable with a losing team. Their farm was an interesting one. They had a lot of players who were very very good in college or junior, but look to be very underwhelming at the NHL level. One of my guys argues against the draft philosophy that lead to what the Ducks are experiencing. "Your draft for roles now, when you get past pick 20, you pick guys that can play roles, unless to get a home run hit due to some other issue." Topic was around Kaliev and Lundestrom. The latter is going to be a good bottom 6 forward. The former could be a top 6 guy.
  • Another contact agreed, he's been on the hunt for pro player that can skate well and kill penalties. Doesn't care how old they are, or where they come from, as long as they can play today. A good find is Nygard in EDM. Carl Hagelin-Lite.
  • Expect to see the premium on defensemen go up in the next two to three years. The 14 draft was weak when it came to defensemen. Only 5 top 4 defensemen were taken that year. 2015 is a little better, and 2016 is much better. However, most contending cores have their top 4 d-men in their 24-29 age brackets. Lots of minutes to eat, while being at their peak skating prime. When you have a number of weak draft classes it dilutes the talent in those brackets.
  • One of my contacts' teams has three NHL defensemen that are 23 or younger, with a veteran core. The changing of the guards is coming up for them with 2 of the younger players getting top 4 minutes now. It's their forward core that's been a big letdown. At some point, they will have to ask themselves, can we win with these guys?
  • Why is the metro so strong and the west so weak this year? The west has a lot of younger teams- but with lesser practice time. The metro has kept their cores intact for a few years in a row. They know what to do, and have enough practice time to reinforce their concepts. It's new to a lot of teams in the west due to coaching changes, younger rosters, and roster turnover.
  • Lots of coaches got fired this season, for a variety of reasons. But I think you are also seeing another generational shift. Much like how the guys in the 2001-2006 draft classes wouldn't respond to a Mike Keenan, the 2013-Now crop won't respond to the Babcock's of the world. Hockey is experiencing cancel culture due to the social media platforms. These were things you wouldn't even hear about 5 years ago.
  • Regardless of how you feel about, hockey media is experiencing a changing of the guards. You will see that shift continue as fan bases sub-segment themselves into their preferred coverage channels.
  • IMO it's good for the game of hockey. You are no longer one size fits all. What do I mean by that? The mainstream will still come down to the games, ultimately people don't care about the talent during game coverage. You are however seeing a spike in engagement across other mediums. Blogs, podcasts, etc.
  • Some teams are much better than others at this.... and that fan engagement has a high correlation score against ticket sale & price performance above or below prior periods, respective to each market.
  • Some teams have gotten "better" while others have gotten "smarter". With the exception of one organization that is really experiencing a backlash from eng(r)aged fans.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I really dont think SJ is married to either Jones or Dell. They could definitely use an upgrade there moving forward. They really should transition to a rebuild. It comes down to rebuild or retool. If they rebuild they should be interested in Georgiev, could be their goalie for the next 7-10 years. Retool, then Hank and they have Dell as the backup. Buyout or move Jones

They can't move Jones. Buyout is only an option if Wilson is still in the position to do it. I'm not so sure that that's the case. Plattner is a patient man but Wilson probably can't afford to test his luck for much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad