Speculation: Roster Building Thread 2019-20: Part XXIX

If the lowest Kreider will accept is 7x7 (likely with some sort of NMC), do you...

• Trade him

• Sign him

• Rent him for the playoffs and let him walk as a UFA

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think it’s seen as very unlikely to be a market for him at this point. He isn’t a rental. 8.5m per year in AAV. He is certainly on the decline. Who could even be sure that he would be a starter for them? Even if it’s at 50% all of a sudden you traded for a 4.25m back-up.

Shatty @50% had negative value. If there was a market for Hank it would just be very surprising.

I think there’s a slightly better market in the offseason but there’s definitely could be a market at TDL too.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It never has and never will be about what Kreider is today. It's about whether or not he fits our timeline. And if he was as good as people think he is, it would be more likely he'd still be a top-6 contributor in 3-5 years.

I've been waiting 8 years for Kreider to turn into that consistent player people see in him. It still hasn't happened. Oh, and we probably shouldn't ask players what to do. I am 99% sure Mats Zuccarello would have advocated in favor of keeping Brassard in 2016 instead of trading him for Zibanejad and a 2nd round pick

Yes to everything. If Kreider was even only 2 years younger I’d give his 7*7 and take the risk in later years. At 29 the contract absolutely doesn’t match the Rangers contention window.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The thing with Henrik is he can still play. The other thing is he's not elite anymore---he's just good or put another way above average and IMO both Shesterkin and Georgiev have passed him by and if all three of them are at training camp next year--yeah Henrik still gets paid but he doesn't play very much at least unless the Rangers move Georgiev and even then he's the backup. Henrik's kind of between a rock and a hard place and it's maybe not just money he has on the line here but professional pride as well and if the Rangers don't move on from Alex at the deadline there's a graceful way for Henrik to exit....and that's to get out of the way. Hanging on for another year puts an extra $8.5 mil in his bank account but it will be a long and probably not very happy year for him as far hockey goes anyway. That's up to him to balance and make a decision on but walking away from that one year of $8.5 would not necessarily be a ludicrous decision on his part to make. I'm sure it would be a hard decision for him though.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I feel like option 3 is kind of like the Rangers trading down in the draft.

Theoretically it’s an option, but looking at who is in charge of the team, in a way it kind of isn’t.

trading down in the draft would return additional picks. this would be moving down in the draft and getting nothing for it.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
The thing with Henrik is he can still play. The other thing is he's not elite anymore---he's just good or put another way above average and IMO both Shesterkin and Georgiev have passed him by and if all three of them are at training camp next year--yeah Henrik still gets paid but he doesn't play very much at least unless the Rangers move Georgiev and even then he's the backup. Henrik's kind of between a rock and a hard place and it's maybe not just money he has on the line here but professional pride as well and if the Rangers don't move on from Alex at the deadline there's a graceful way for Henrik to exit....and that's to get out of the way. Hanging on for another year puts an extra $8.5 mil in his bank account but it will be a long and probably not very happy year for him as far hockey goes anyway. That's up to him to balance and make a decision on but walking away from that one year of $8.5 would not necessarily be a ludicrous decision on his part to make. I'm sure it would be a hard decision for him though.

Splitting hairs as it's still a ton of money, hes owed $5.5MM in actual compensation next season ($1MM bonus on July 1st and $4.5MM base salary).

Reactions: eco's bones

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Just about every guy speculated that teams are giving us is small or if bigger not a top 6 upside let alone first liner .

If you’re thinking a team is supposed to get a return of the same upside as the upcoming UFA being moved - this is not how it works. Also to address your concerns the Rangers already have blue chip prospects with good size within the organization with very good chances to soon take over LW behind Panarin on the other top line.

Tossed Medal

Jan 23, 2020
Yes to everything. If Kreider was even only 2 years younger I’d give his 7*7 and take the risk in later years. At 29 the contract absolutely doesn’t match the Rangers contention window.
Who’s replacing him then ? Not a draft pick in the next 3-5 years . 6’3 first line physical specimens that drive play don’t grow on trees . This team needs to get more physical and better around the net not worse . NHL ready draft picks are few and far between and I’m not seeing us getting a roster player that can play 1lw and drive play for a rental . You think Chicago and LA Would give up their cups for cap relief . You need veterans to win the SCPO tournament. The NYR need to do whatever they have to keep Kreider .

Tossed Medal

Jan 23, 2020
If you’re thinking a team is supposed to get a return of the same upside as the upcoming UFA being moved - this is not how it works. Also to address your concerns the Rangers already have blue chip prospects with good size within the organization with very good chances to soon take over LW behind Panarin on the other top line.
No I don’t and that puts the rebuild in further back and that’s why you figure out a way to pay the veteran with whom your top center plays to a PAG alongside and not try and replace him with thr magic beans in the mystery box behind door 3 .

Tossed Medal

Jan 23, 2020
What wing in our system is scoring 25+ playing 1pp unit net front and can drive play ? Kravtsov ? Ha that’s rich .

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
No I don’t and that puts the rebuild in further back and that’s why you figure out a way to pay the veteran with whom your top center plays to a PAG alongside and not try and replace him with thr magic beans in the mystery box behind door 3 .

Keep adding “right now” to your arguments.

Reactions: Kupo

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Who are you referring to as the PAG player here? I mean it doesnt matter because neither are but certainly Kreider is not and this coming from someone who wants him to stay. At least be factual

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
The thing that annoys me most about this situation is the whole “Hank is miserable” angle. I get that athletes aren’t on the business side and that they have to have supreme confidence to reach the heights they do, but come on: what did he think would happen? He saw the letter. They called him to ask if he would be open to a trade at least one, if not both, of the last two deadlines. He’s seen Georgie, has heard about Shesterkin, and he can read a calendar. Did he think the org would sit them both until they were 26/27 so that the goalie of the previous generation would get the opportunity to win the cup with all the other kids coming out of the rebuild? Did he think two other fellow athletes would sit back and let their careers both stagnate, sacrificing 2-3 prime years on the altar of his pride?

Irritating. Either take the trade when it’s presented to you or sit back and be a good soldier as the guard changes. I love the dude, but the world doesn’t revolve around him.
I really don't know what fans expect from a competitive athlete in the top league playing the most cerebral position? Be competitive until it's convenient for me when you should go out to pasture. He isn't complaining or moaning, but you are irritated because the most anti-henrik poster feels he is miserable?

These guys are ultra competitive for 32 years, but they should about face and be thrilled to play once a month. Its a ven diagram that has zero overlap.

Lundqvist is no victim. It's the nature of the beast. He asked for the 8 years and clauses. The rangers gave it. They made their bed. But he is no villain either. Just let it play out without pointing fingers.

Reactions: bleedblue94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad