Speculation: Roster Building Thread 2019-20: Part XXIX

If the lowest Kreider will accept is 7x7 (likely with some sort of NMC), do you...

• Trade him

• Sign him

• Rent him for the playoffs and let him walk as a UFA

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Could the Canes take him for Mrazek then rangers flip him to say MN or SJ for a mid round pick ?
I want no part of taking a goalie back simply because the Rangers will have even less leverage to move that one imo. Yea sure a team like the two you mentioned may be interested but I dont think it would be a bidding war and you probably end up with a 4th or 5th round pick IF you can move him for that. Just not worth the hassle. Gorton/JD have other fish to fry

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
We all should celebrate Hank regardless

In a perfect world we could see 1 last game but the way it’s going who knows .... give it a week

if they get a great deal for Georgiev then Hank stays for next season

Part of the issue is that the Garden is still hoping for playoffs so they groan when Hank gets the start. If all three goalies are still on the roster after the trading deadline and the Rangers are mathematically eliminated, I can see Hank getting a majority of the home starts and the vibe being different.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Meh - the truth is that the team has played a whole lot better defensively over last 20ish games and any of these goalies would be looking good stat wise. Georgiev had to make a few good saves the last two games but the volume of shots certainly wasn't indicative of shot quality.

I don't think there's much of a market for Georgiev and for the teams out there that have made inquiries seems to have left Gorton & Co. underwhelmed. We might be looking at this weird situation until the summer.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I feel like option 3 is kind of like the Rangers trading down in the draft.

Theoretically it’s an option, but looking at who is in charge of the team, in a way it kind of isn’t.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I just think Henrik has more in the tank. And if I think that, I’d assume he does too. And I’d hope the Rangers do too.
He’s in a different boat from Staal for example. I think the Rangers don’t really gain anything from keeping Staal around. But a hall of fame goalie who can still get it done with proper rest... that’s a perfect backup and mentor to Igor.
I think it makes more sense to move Georgiev while he has value and keep Henrik for next year, at least. Huska or Wall should be able to backup after that. If Georgiev really is that good he’ll probably be unhappy as backup anyhow. Let him go be a starter with SJ or elsewhere.
You may be totally right and I might be way off base in my assessment. But at this point I don’t see Henrik as a problem *in an of himself*. it’s more the situation that’s the problem.

I think in a world where the Rangers didn’t have both Shesterkin and Georgiev, it’s much less of an option. But for how this team is built right now, I think we have to accept it as a distinct possibility.

You’re right, Lundqvist can still play - and that’s what makes the situation even more unfortunate in many ways. But, strictly from a business perspective, if Lundqvist were to walk away, the savings on his salary would reverberate throughout the entire organization.

Let’s say he actually did retire - $8.5 million allows the Rangers to resign Kreider, extend ADA, and possibly also extend Fast. And they’d do all of this while essentially maintaining the cap space they have this season to improve other areas. Then, on top of that, you have additional money coming off the books in 2021.

Now you have a situation where if/when you move guys like Buch, Strome, a package of prospects, you don’t have to obsess over taking back multiple salaries or a larger individual salary.

It’s controversial, and it’s not a happy ending per se. But if we’re looking at the hard truth of a best path forward that maximizes assets, reduces some risk, and provides flexibility, the sad truth is that not having Hank around, and getting back as much of his salary as possible, is one of the more cunning options out there.

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
I might be off here, but I dont think retaining Georgiev if Lundqvist leaves goes hand in hand with one another.

Guess it depends on what the contract talks with Georgiev are looking like. If Shesh has truly won the starting role, do the Rangers want to invest potential $3MM in their backup position? Or do they view that as an investment incase Shesh is a flash in the pan (not saying he is, would be as an insurance policy).

They could easily sign a vet backup for sub $2MM while Huska and Wall develop in the AHL for another season. I would assume a lot depends on the return for Georgiev as well, but I could see a scenario where both Lundqvist and Georgiev are gone before the start of next season.

After following the Leafs saga of finding a replacement for Hutchison and settling for Campbell, I'm not sure there are many quality point producing backups that would be available.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If nothing else Lundqvist should stay just so he can save the team from themselves

I’d much rather have his salary come off the books in two years and potentially use it then

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
After following the Leafs saga of finding a replacement for Hutchison and settling for Campbell, I'm not sure there are many quality point producing backups that would be available.

This would be an off season thing, signing a backup. I dont see Georgiev being moved before the deadline. I see him being moved at the draft. The decision on the path forward for Lundqvist should be done by the deadline (either what they are before the deadline or after the season).

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I think in a world where the Rangers didn’t have both Shesterkin and Georgiev, it’s much less of an option. But for how this team is built right now, I think we have to accept it as a distinct possibility.

You’re right, Lundqvist can still play - and that’s what makes the situation even more unfortunate in many ways. But, strictly from a business perspective, if Lundqvist were to walk away, the savings on his salary would reverberate throughout the entire organization.

Let’s say he actually did retire - $8.5 million allows the Rangers to resign Kreider, extend ADA, and possibly also extend Fast. And they’d do all of this while essentially maintaining the cap space they have this season to improve other areas. Then, on top of that, you have additional money coming off the books in 2021.

Now you have a situation where if/when you move guys like Buch, Strome, a package of prospects, you don’t have to obsess over taking back multiple salaries or a larger individual salary.

It’s controversial, and it’s not a happy ending per se. But if we’re looking at the hard truth of a best path forward that maximizes assets, reduces some risk, and provides flexibility, the sad truth is that not having Hank around, and getting back as much of his salary as possible, is one of the more cunning options out there.

Reactions: White Death 24

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Maybe on Hank's next home start the Garden crowd can start and carry it through the whole game....Farewell to The King !!!! He might get the hint LOL... Or have the whole crowd show up with signs that read , Thanks for the Memories Hank !!!! As it is now...the only way he leaves is with a BO on his current deal....still all about the money with Hank .

Edit...hate to be hateful but truthfully I'm looking forward to the next 10 years and not looking at the last 10 .

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
No one should feel bad for Lundqvist. It's a performance based business in a cap world. Giacomin played two more years after being waived. He was celebrated. Richter didn't go out on his own terms. He was celebrated. Even Beezer (to a lesser extent) was moved and has an entire second and third act in his career. He's celebrated to a much lesser extent.

Reactions: Kovalev27

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
People calling the Rangers/Lundqvist situation a “soap opera” and a “NY Drama” need to step away from the hockey blogs for a little while. Seems to me this situation has been handled quite admirably by both sides. What real evidence has there been that the team and their future HOF goaltender may be on the outs besides a rather innocuous comment from Quinn about Shesterkin?

Rumor and innuendo has a way of taking on a life of its own. It’s fed by opinions about how Lundqvist “looks miserable.”

yeah, ya know what. He probably is. But he and the team have handled this prickly situation with nothing but professionalism To this point. Drama my ass.

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
I really dont think SJ is married to either Jones or Dell. They could definitely use an upgrade there moving forward. They really should transition to a rebuild. It comes down to rebuild or retool. If they rebuild they should be interested in Georgiev, could be their goalie for the next 7-10 years. Retool, then Hank and they have Dell as the backup. Buyout or move Jones

Get the same feeling with Minnesota. Rangers have multiple pieces that Minnesota would like--Skjei/ Strome/ Georgiev.

Minnesota has some young players aka Greenway/ the Russian kid but he like their savor--I like Fiala possible Brodin.

Best case Hank retires--We clear major cap space. He ride off into the sunsets of NY and Sweden like the shining star.
Next best ( Not happening ) someone trades for him with his cap hit.
Next up someone trades for him at half retained--Colorado ( Maybe )--Carolina ( Maybe ).
Next he stays we deal Georgiev for a haul ( Thought this a few weeks ago now not so much ). Hank backs up Shesterkin next year.
Last we buy him out--there will be hard feelings ( Head says yes--Heart says no ) but business wise most likely the correct move to move forward.

In the end we watched a bunch of players for years Cally/ G/Graves/Mess/ coming soon Staal and Hank warriors whom played with heart gave their souls blood sweat tears for our team but no one can stop farther time and we must be move on. Hank can most likely play another a few seasons and he may want to chase the cup but he's already lost his starting spot to Shesterkin--lost most of his back up time to Georgiev--doesn't seem happy sitting on the bench in his baseball cap which is the way it will most likely will be next year if he stays.

Kids have arrived now Hank should move aside for the good of the team the team that will retire his number--he will be a Ranger Hall of Famer and wiil always have the love of every Ranger fan that grew up watching him play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad