Salary Cap: Roster Building | Contract Charts 1st Post | See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
No way Detroit would let Athanasiou get a way.

They would probably offer us Sheahan for cheap before that.

66th post

Last edited:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
How would you guys feel about the Penguins kicking the tires on Mike Ribeiro?

He's been decent defensively in the past, not incredible, but serviceable, and he's a hell of a playmaker. He's had over 50 assists a few times earlier in his career, and has 0.53 Assists per game in his last 3 seasons.

I know his drinking has been a bit of an issue, even causing him to be waived last year... But maybe a coaching core of Sullivan, Recchi, and Gonchar, as well as the other leadership from Pens players they may be able to get a handle on the situation. (I realize this is being hopeful, as it's not easy to teach a 37 year old dog new tricks.)

I think with our fast skilled wingers that Ribeiro would be able to rack up a lot of assists playing with guys like Sheary, Rust, Hagelin, Kessel, etc. The biggest problem I see is his attitude and drinking issue, but even signing him to a PTO at the very least could be alright, I think.

For Salary Cap considerations : His most recent contract was a 2-year contract for $3.5 Million a year, which he played out in the AHL, as no one signed him through waivers. I think given his recent issues I think that a 2Million dollar contract would be a reasonable offer to him.

Its my own personal take, but I prefer when the team I cheer for not sign people who are obvious **** heads. This is a dude who not only has a drinking problem but has been involved with some sexual assault accusations.

I'd rather lose with Carter Rowney than win with a piece of scum like Riberio

Last edited by a moderator:

Jenkins

Aug 2, 2017
British Columbia
I'm just curious, what are your expectations for Maatta going into this season? Are you expecting him to continue what he did in the playoffs and put up ~25 points while playing 21:00 a night? I feel like this season could be big for him, you'll see him bounce back to closer to where he was at the start of 2014-2015.

I expect his defensive play to be just as good. You could see in the couple of weeks before he got injured last season he was more engaged and confident in the O zone. With a good pre season and an injury free season I think we see him put up a career year points wise.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think he will be paired with either Letang or most likely Hunwick honestly.

I could see him and Hunwick either being Daley Pt 2.0 or Hunwick allowing Maatta to play a more offensive game which I don't think Schultz or Letang permits.

Honestly, no way does he score like last year.

That could be. There are plenty of options and Cole-Schultz has been a good pair. I guess it just depends if Sully wants a true top 4 and a bottom pair or 1 top pair and 2 "even" pairs.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The thing is that Detroit is in a **** situation to match a fairly low offer sheet. It's in the article but their cap situation is godawful and they have a lot of brutal contracts.

While true, that's a lot of ill-will to put between JR and Holland.

It's a gentlemen's club...and there's only 31 members. It's a small, small world. May not mean much to us, but to them, it's everything. Managing your rosters requires a level of relationship building that is lost on us.

We have a lot of young guys coming up too.

With that, a deal around Sheahan and AA would be awesome. :)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd like to see Maatta not skate like a broken down tractor. Points are nice but not necessary to justify his contract if he's regularly shutting players down.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Right but the fnyou think the red wings dont move someone and resign AA if the deal is under 2 million thats kind of unbelievable... over 3 and who they would have to move would be painful to fill out the roster

Over 1.1m and they can't fill out their roster without moving a body. If they move Sheahan and do not take any salary back and have a cheap fill in for him (say 700k), that still only gives them 2.4m for AA.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm just curious, what are your expectations for Maatta going into this season? Are you expecting him to continue what he did in the playoffs and put up ~25 points while playing 21:00 a night? I feel like this season could be big for him, you'll see him bounce back to closer to where he was at the start of 2014-2015.

Offense bounces back from whatever last season was to start and overall improvement as the season goes on.

While true, that's a lot of ill-will to put between JR and Holland.

It's a gentlemen's club...and there's only 31 members. It's a small, small world. May not mean much to us, but to them, it's everything. Managing your rosters requires a level of relationship building that is lost on us.

We have a lot of young guys coming up too.

With that, a deal around Sheahan and AA would be awesome. :)

Well, yeah, I'd be shocked if it actually happened because the NHL is so boring. :laugh:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
RE: Ribeiro

The drug addict lifestyle hasn't really caused any problems for Keith Richards in his old age, but it doesn't really work that way in pro athletics. If you were a junkie between 18 and 33, you've got too many miles on you to help a team when you're 38 (or w/e Ribs is now).

On top of that, even at his best, Ribeiro was still trash on faceoffs and allegic to defense, which are the two things we probably would be keying on for a 3 C.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
First Desharnais, now Farnham. The Rangers are just owning Rutherford this summer.

Desharnais at a million is still a better move than what we have done so far to fill our 3C and 4C holes.

I still don't get why signing a player for a million that could potential at least cover Cullen's point totals and has had some success at faceoffs is met with such vitriol. With what Cullen signed for we could've signed them both like I was saying all offseason.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Desharnais at a million is still a better move than what we have done so far to fill our 3C and 4C holes.

I still don't get why signing a player for a million that could potential at least cover Cullen's point totals and has had some success at faceoffs is met with such vitriol. With what Cullen signed for we could've signed them both like I was saying all offseason.

Because then you have one million less when the real solution is available... patience... they obviously have a plan

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
RE: Ribeiro

The drug addict lifestyle hasn't really caused any problems for Keith Richards in his old age, but it doesn't really work that way in pro athletics. If you were a junkie between 18 and 33, you've got too many miles on you to help a team when you're 38 (or w/e Ribs is now).

On top of that, even at his best, Ribeiro was still trash on faceoffs and allegic to defense, which are the two things we probably would be keying on for a 3 C.

Agreed on Ribeiro. But JR's has stated a few times our 3C doesn't need to be great defensively or have PK experience. IMO, he correctly believes you can teach those things and the priority should be running as many scoring lines as possible.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It's not like his skating needing improvement isn't obvious to him and the org. Thinking his off season hasn't touched on that at all is asinine.

Has he never been injured or had cancer for any pre season?

The last offseason he was healthy as far as I can recall but it had the stupid World Cup in a shortened offseason. Idk what that did to anyone's offseason plans.

2014: shoulder
2015: shoulder
2016: healthy, WCoH
2017: healthy

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's not like his skating needing improvement isn't obvious to him and the org. Thinking his off season hasn't touched on that at all is asinine.

The last offseason he was healthy as far as I can recall but it had the stupid World Cup in a shortened offseason. Idk what that did to anyone's offseason plans.

2014: shoulder
2015: shoulder
2016: healthy, WCoH
2017: healthy

Honestly, if Maatta gets points next year do we really care about his skating. I can suffer him getting walked occasionally if he returns to a 30 point d-man.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Their plan is to go into the season with two rookies basically.

And bank cap space to hold out for better than guys like DD. 3 mil in space now becomes get whomever we want as the season goes on.

Do you really think it'll be that difficult to trade for a decent 3C if injuries require a move at some point?

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Not sure if this got mentioned, but Guentzel led his summer league in scoring. The league also had Okposo, Parise, JvR, Anders Lee, Brock Nelson, Byfuglien and Boeser:

http://www.dabeautyleague.com/stats...eason=409315&tab=league_instance_player_stats

It's pretty clear most of those guys weren't even trying, especially on defense. Guentzel had a 42.3% shooting percentage and over 3 points/game.

Parise, on the other hand, "only" scored on 15.6% of his shots.

I suspect Guentzel got some ribbing for trying too hard by the vets there :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

First, it was mainly tongue-in-cheek.

Second, it's not vitriol. It's the fact Desharnais doesn't solve the issues we face currently with regards to the 3C spot. More than actual offense (though that helps), the Pens need guys who can play well defensively and do a lot of the heavy lifting on the PK. Desharnais doesn't solve that.

Third, Desharnais would be taking up cap space that could be used by JR to find someone who can actually fill all the needs of the 3C.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Honestly, if Maatta gets points next year do we really care about his skating. I can suffer him getting walked occasionally if he returns to a 30 point d-man.

God's ain truth, but I think stronger skating would play a big part in giving Maatta a bigger offensive output. I think it made him more reluctant to pinch for a lot of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad