Salary Cap: Roster Building | Contract Charts 1st Post | See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Penguins' started by ColePens, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. ColePens

ColePens RIP parabola & Fugu

All figures are cap numbers, not salaries.

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

WILKES-BARRE/SCRANTON PENGUINS

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

SIGNED PROSPECTS

UNSIGNED PROSPECTS

Last edited by moderator DegenX: Aug 21, 2017
  2. Shaffer

Shaffer GuentzGoal

3. orby

orby Registered User

Teacher
    Home Page:
    Thought dea was gonna go elsewhere. Cool

4. Shady Machine

Shady Machine Registered User

I guess the question is why would a new regime in Buffalo under Botts trade away a young guy with potential before they see what he has under a new coach?

5. Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771 It's Sprong's Fault

He may not want to, but getting a guy he knows in Wilson or a guy who fills an organization need in Pouliot may be attractive to him.

6. Shady Machine

Shady Machine Registered User

Yeah that's reasonable. Just knowing how valuable centers are, particularly those that can play wing and had produced 30 points as a teenager, I wouldn't be trading Girgensons for Wilson or Pouliot if I were Botts. I would wait to see what I had in my young guys before I made any material changes with them.

On the Pens side, Girgensons is an attractive buy low option, although his faceoff % blows (44.8% career).

7. Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla Nerf Herder

Letang has never been better than he was in 2016. Had he played the whole season under Sully, I think he'd have won or at least been nominated for the Norris. And I would have had no problem giving him the Conn Smythe. So I have to ask what you're basing this on? The half season where he only put up 34 points in 41 games? Which is 4th for pts/game for d-men on the season.

8. Empoleon8771

That's fair to say. I could see Botterill thinking highly of Wilson though, since he was involved with him a lot with WBS and saw what he did as a rookie last year. Since Girgensons is currently slotted in at LW for the Sabres (Eichel, ROR and Larsson are their top-9 centers), I could see Botterill thinking Wilson has the upside to justify moving Girgensons for him. Buffalo is pretty thin at LW after Kane and Kane probably won't be around for that much longer.

9. The Old Master

The Old Master Registered User

girgs works for me. :)

10. vabm8

vabm8 #GoConcussionLawsuitGo

And that's with a nagging injury for part of his games played iirc. It's not about the calibre of player he is because he is that elite #1, it's about how fragile he is and that you'd expect the injuries to take a toll eventually.

11. PensandCaps

PensandCaps Berrick Drassard.

Dea has a bit of skill and actually plays centre unlike Simon and probably the most NHL ready between he and Blugers. Glad we kept him, he's put up decent Stats down in the A. Probably a better option than McKegg.

12. mpp9

mpp9 Registered User

ZG has one season with double digit goals. Looks like more of a 4C to me. So that'd make our center depth 1A/1B/4A/4B.

Na. Not interested.

13. PensandCaps

ZG before Bylsma was a good top 9 player. He is someone I'd want here because of our coach knows how to get the best out of players. ZG was ruined by Bylsma, wouldn't shock me at all if he puts up 30 points in Buffalo as a #3C who moves up and down the lineup, now that Bylsma is gone

14. Empoleon8771

Girgensons in his sophomore year was on pace for 20 goals and 40 points. I'm not totally sold on him as the 3C option, but he has certainly played at that level in the past. I don't put much stock into what he did under Bylsma, I think Penguins fans should understand that more than anyone else.

15. PensandCaps

WBS is stacked. Now that Dea has signed, thats another solid AHLer. Too bad we rip away all their good players come playoffs lol.

16. mpp9

mpp9 Registered User

I don't think we should be using assets to acquire a guy who might be able to play 3C on a good team, let alone one that's trying to win three Cups in a row.

Much rather pick up one of Vegas' spare centers. And that's like plan D for me.

17. EdwardBlake

EdwardBlake This is all a joke.

This is who I wish JR would target for a trade. I feel at worst... At absolute worst we get a player that would out perform Rowney in the 4C role. Ideally he clicks in his game with our system and becomes a solid 3C. Also I can not imagine he would cost a whole heck of a lot. A 2nd rounder? 3rd + Decent Prospect? I imagine that would be his absolute ceiling of value currently. Would be a solid low risk high reward type of trade.

18. Empoleon8771

I think Wilson for Girgensons is by far the most realistic deal if we're talking about Girgensons.

I honestly don't consider trading for Girgensons to be that much different than trading for Karlsson, who I've been adamant about being fine with as the 3C.

19. EdwardBlake

I agree with that value, I was just trying to emphasize that he would not be a costly pick up by trying to ponder on what his "all in" value would be maxed out currently. But Wilson for Girgenson I would do in a heartbeat.

20. PensandCaps

I'd do Wilson and a Pick for Girgs. I bet JB likes Wilson because of his ties to the pens. And would probably make that deal.

21. Empoleon8771

Yeah I agree with that. It makes a ton of sense for that deal to go down, with Botterill's ties to the WBS crew, Buffalo being weak on LW and deep at center and Pittsburgh being deep at LW but weak at center. Wilson would either be the 2nd or 3rd line LW for Buffalo, while Girgensons would be the 3C for the Penguins. On their current teams, they're either playing in a role below their talent level or playing in a position that isn't their natural position.

22. Andy99

Andy99 Registered User

My question on him is his foot speed and hockey IQ. Face offs can be worked on to some extent. I don't think he's a great fit here but neither was Bonino

23. TheMalkinEra

TheMalkinEra Registered User

Aaron Rodgers had one word for all Penguins fan worrying about 3rd line center.....RELAX

For love of the god people were coming off back to back champships, yet so many here want to trade half the roster for some overrated jabroni named like Matt Duchesne, who many here think of second coming of Ron Francis the way people here talk about him.

And thought of Kessel, Guentzel, Rust or Wilson playing Center and people act like the Pens will miss the playoffs and win 20 games. I really hope Sprong lights it up in training camp and our top 9 has 7 wingers and 2 centers and our top 9 is something like this.

Sheary-Crosby-Sprong
    Rust-Malkin-Kessel
    Hagelin-Guentzel-Hornqvist

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
    Hagelin-Malkin-Sprong
    Rust-Kessel-Hornqvist

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
    Sheary-Malkin-Kessel
    Hagelin-Rust-Sprong

Then right before the trading deadline the Pens can get some 3rd line center who does the who the whole " corsi, intangibles, 200 foot game, defensive zone faceoffs, and the other nerd stuff" that you hockey hipsters get a little too excited about.

24. Empoleon8771

Since when do Kessel and Rust play center? I don't even think they played center in college.

25. EdwardBlake

Ive heard it said that Rust has played center in the past, but Kessel I have absolutely no idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.