Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Karlsson may be on the move this week, what would you guys offer?

My proposal:
2017 1st round
2018 1st round
Bo Horvat
Olli Juolevi

I know this is a lot, but this is what will take to get a franchise, generational defenceman. We don't have any assets to do a 1:1 like Weber for Subban.

You would trade Pettersson, the 7th overall pick this year, Horvat and Juolevi for Karlsson who only has 1 year left on his contract? :laugh:

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

My proposal:
2017 1st round
2018 1st round
Bo Horvat
Olli Juolevi

I know this is a lot, but this is what will take to get a franchise, generational defenceman. We don't have any assets to do a 1:1 like Weber for Subban.

got my years wrong, I meant 2018,2019.

On the offchance that this was a serious proposal:

If the Canucks' were one defenceman away from being a Stanley Cup favourite some would like that proposal, though I wouldn't be among them.

Obviously it would be unthinkable unless they had Karlsson's agreement on an extension. Giving away their future for one year of Karlsson when all he'd do is bring them up to mediocrity would be hilariously bad.

Even with an extension agreed to, with the Canucks being a poor team that is unlikely to compete for some time, acquring a franchise defenceman in exchange for their future is completely backwards.

Further, what kind of extension do you think Karlsson's going to get? I'd be very surprised if he gets less than seven years or less than $7.5 million per (and expect it to be higher than that) and the seven years would take him through his age 35 season. While he may be really effective that whole time, it is more common for players to experience at least some age related decline as they enter their 30's and certainly before they hit their mid-30's. The expecation when you sign a long term deal with a player of that age is that you're getting most of the benefit in the early years of the contract and hoping the last years aren't too bad.

So not only would the proposal trading futures for Karlsson be inconsistent with their present situation, but the contract extension for Karlsson would work in favour of the present as well, while hoping that he'd remain good enough through to age 35 that the future would be ok.

Last edited:

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016

My proposal:
2017 1st round
2018 1st round
Bo Horvat
Olli Juolevi

Perfect. Rebuild complete.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

I can't help but feel like they're going to rush a Tanev trade this weekend in an attempt to get another 1st round pick.

Also this

"rebuilding" team btw

I can definitely see them trading the 7th for someone like Hanifin and then trading Tanev for a late 1st and a mediocre prospect.

Reactions: timw33

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
Jimbo will settle for Connor Brown as the center piece and say “nobody is trading draft picks.”

Brown checks all the boxes for Jim’s tweener forward love.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

I can't help but feel like they're going to rush a Tanev trade this weekend in an attempt to get another 1st round pick.

Also this

"rebuilding" team btw

I can definitely see them trading the 7th for someone like Hanifin and then trading Tanev for a late 1st and a mediocre prospect.

That would be so disheartening to witness. Get screwed on both deals. Now is not the time to trade Tanev, and Hanafin is not nearly good enough to justify trading 7th overall.

Tense time to be a Canucks fan.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I’m deciding in my mind as to whether I’d like this kind of roster:

-something involving Tanev and Liljegren
-7thOA for Hanifin if Dobson and Bouchard are taken and one of Zadina, Tkachuk, or Wahlstrom is available at #7 which gets Carolina excited.

Leipsic-Horvat-Boeser
Goldobin-Gagner-Virtanen
Dahlen-Gaudette-Pettersson
Baertschi-Sutter-Eriksson

Edler-Gudbranson
Hanifin-Liljegren
Hutton-Biega

Markstrom
Demko

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I see the bar is being set high for Tanev so there will be fuel for a trash JB narrative...

He could be a valuable addition for a contender but the market for Tanev will be narrow. Expectations should be a 2nd + a B-prospect or a low 1st if multiple teams get involved. The Canucks will have to decide if he's worth more as a mentor to the likes of Juolevi, Pouliot, Stecher.

I maintain that they would get more at the trade deadline for Tanev.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He won't be traded, looks like Canucks won't let him go unless the offer is very good.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I see the bar is being set high for Tanev so there will be fuel for a trash JB narrative...

He could be a valuable addition for a contender but the market for Tanev will be narrow. Expectations should be a 2nd + a B-prospect or a low 1st if multiple teams get involved. The Canucks will have to decide if he's worth more as a mentor to the likes of Juolevi, Pouliot, Stecher.

I maintain that they would get more at the trade deadline for Tanev.

Not the right time to trade him. It doesn't have anything to do with a "trash JB narrative". Tanev is coming off a bad season filled with injury. They can't expect a lot with that having just occurred. Let him play and prove his health, then move him.

Reactions: travis scott

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016

He could be a valuable addition for a contender but the market for Tanev will be narrow. Expectations should be a 2nd + a B-prospect or a low 1st if multiple teams get involved.

We paid more than your suggested return for gudbranson ..

A 2nd and a B prospect for a top 30 dman in the league on a good contract is an absolute garbage return.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
JB is trash though. That's not a narrative, I thought it was, like, objective.

If we trade a useful Tanev for less then we surrendered for Gudbranson, who he also resigned after a pair of terrible years to a comparable cap hit, there shouldn't be a place for him in this organization.

He is either a puppet for ownership, if it is indeed meddling as some narratives (conspiracy theories?) say, which is trash for us as fans of this team, or he is a remarkably poor judge of talent, which is trash for us as fans of this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad