Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Benning trading a 1st for Lucic would have been a mistake in retrospect. Unfortunately when you move picks for players, there is a small but sizeable risk of having it blow up it in your face.

At the time however, the Canucks were a playoff team and had earned the right to push a little more for “the now.”

Being a hometown boy, the risk of Lucic coming here and then letting his friends/family down by darting for another team in the off-season would have been quite low. The Canucks also had more than enough cap space to re-sign Lucic (unlike LA).

Although Lucic had an off year in Boston, I don’t think anyone could have predicted that Lucic would fall that drastically in a few short years.

Furthermore - players selected 23rd overall, or in the bottom 3rd of the draft, typically don’t become superstars. The statistics are not in their favor.

So yes - in retrospect, the Boeser for Lucic deal would have been brutal, but from a statistics standpoint, and where the team was at the time, Benning made the right call.

Not a f***ing chance he made the right call if he had traded for Lucic. Everyone knew the 2014-15 Canucks weren't for real, and losing to Calgary and then Calgary getting destroyed by Anahiem proved that.

Any GM with half a brain would have noticed that their top 9 scorers were all over 26, 5 of their 6 top scorers were over 31, their top 3 scorers were 33 and outside of Horvat that had absolutely zero young guys ready to step up. A child could realize that isn't a team with any shot of being competitive over the next couple seasons.

Anyone that defends Benning potentially trading 23rd overall for 1 f***ing year of Milan Lucic obviously has no clue what the f*** they are talking about.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Is this seriously what we've come to?

Benning trying to trade his first for a rental of lucic is okay because we can't find posts on hfboards specifically saying that we shouldn't do it because we should select Boeser.

The new defense of any tactic is that none of the fans were prescient enough to completely nail the eventual outcome with absolute certainty.

Lord...
Not what I said at all. I said Nobody knew at the time of the draft Boeser had superstar potential. Or else he would have went top 5. I’m asking you for proof that Boeser would be this good because you said that there were people saying he would be. Prove it.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Not what I said at all. I said Nobody knew at the time of the draft Boeser had superstar potential. Or else he would have went top 5. I’m asking you for proof that Boeser would be this good because you said that there were people saying he would be. Prove it.

So you're saying what I said you said then.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
So you're saying what I said you said then.
Sure :laugh:

All I’m saying is at the time given our team state, it would have been a stupid move to trade a 1st for an aging forward: HOWEVER, I absolutely hate when people look at the trade in retrospect and make it a Boeser vs Lucic thing. We could have drafted a garbage player and people would be saying we should have traded it for Lucic and flipped him later on. I hate it.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Chiarelli said that he'd trade the 10th overall for a quality NHL D... apparently he's already talked to a few GMs. Wonder if Benning is one of them? If so, what do we add to Tanev to get #10 overall?

I'd do something along the lines of

Tanev, Sutter, Granlund

For 10th, cap dump?

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Chiarelli said that he'd trade the 10th overall for a quality NHL D... apparently he's already talked to a few GMs. Wonder if Benning is one of them? If so, what do we add to Tanev to get #10 overall?

Tanev, Sutter, Granlund

For 10th, cap dump?
Maybe Tanev and Baertschi- I'd be surprised if they have interest in Sutter at his cap hit.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Sure :laugh:

All I’m saying is at the time given our team state, it would have been a stupid move to trade a 1st for an aging forward: HOWEVER, I absolutely hate when people look at the trade in retrospect and make it a Boeser vs Lucic thing. We could have drafted a garbage player and people would be saying we should have traded it for Lucic and flipped him later on. I hate it.

No the outcome of the pick doesn't matter. It could have been Virtanen at the time and it still would have been a bad move. There is no good reason for us to be trading for assets like that. Not then, not now. That is the point. It would have been a devastating move for us.

Reactions: Pip

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Chicago has no 2nd rounder but two 1sts (CHI, NAS) and two 3rds (CHI, TOR). You get that $5.275M cap hit for 3 years, but it's not a lot of money out of the owners pocket as the salary is only $1M per.

This should be a shoe-in for the Canucks to grab the NAS 1st and CHI 3rd.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Seeing the words "shoe-in" and "no brainer" and then remembering our GM is Jim Benning.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

$4.5M in extra cap space for next season. Oh boy, there's going to be some impressive overpayments this summer.

Reactions: Red

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

$4.5M in extra cap space for next season. Oh boy, there's going to be some impressive overpayments this summer.

Yeah what's funny is that the cap going up only benefits you if you have good young players signed to long term contracts from a few years ago.

It doesn't necessarily mean you have enough room to go out and fit a player in or re-sign your RFA's, it just means the prices of players just inflated with an additional $140MM of money to spend across the league.

Mid tier UFA's, as in past years, are going to get some horrrrrendous contracts.

Reactions: Red

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
5 lowish end RFA contracts to hand out and 26 million in cap space. And that's still counting Dorsetts contract.

Bozak 5x7 million confirmed.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Hossa would be a home run. If he is legitimately unable to play then we're not spending cap space we don't have to. If he retires Chicago gets his with a recapture penalty, not us. If he can play, then what a veteran for some of our kids. Again, if he is injured but wants to have a role, that works too.

And if we get something out of it, super. A second? Our second and a cheap forward or D for their 1st?

member 290103

Benning is probably trying to hit a home run to sell tickets. I doubt he weaponizes cap space before exhausting big name opportunities.

What he does not realize though is that weaponizing cap space and acquiring draft picks and prospects is exactly what will reinvigorate this fan base.. Spending cap space on the Gagner's, the Del Zottos, the Sutters, has not helped sell tickets.

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011

Tanev, Sutter, Granlund

For 10th, cap dump?

They should try to trade Edler for the 10th. Time to start getting him used to being asked to waive his NTC.

Reactions: MAGICMAN1963

member 290103

They should try to trade Edler for the 10th. Time to start getting him used to being asked to waive his NTC.

Linden loves Edler. Edler will be a Canuck as long as he wants to be, so long as Dim and the Egomaniac run the show.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I honestly believe there are teams around the league that view Sutter as an asset. He's the most average third line center you can get and with the cap going up, maybe a team is okay with the contract. Not like it's too long either.

I really think we should move him on. Try our luck in free agency with a guy we can flip at the deadline.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
This is a no brainer and easily the best use of cap space for our club for the next few years.

It's honestly not a no brainer. Tying up your cap for three seasons to hopefully get a second round pick lacks adequate foresight. If it was one year that would be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad