Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Tavares camp has been in daily discussions for two weeks? That's a lot of talk! Long, drawn out negotiations can break down. Lamoriello should have a blank check and clear mandate. What's the hold up?

Last edited:

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Since Linden and Benning have both said they do not anticipate pursuing any of the top tier free agents this summer, it brings up the topic of "weaponizing" cap space. I think the term is a bit over blown, but if there are teams that want to take a run at Tavares, Van Riemsdyk, Kovalchuk, etc in free agency there are a couple of deals that could work.

Dallas had a disappointing year in 2017-18, finishing out of the playoffs, 6th in the Central Division. They have a really solid defense (6th in goals against, 3rd in shots against/game) but their offense was anemic. The Star generating only 231 goals (18th overall) and 31 shots per game (20th) during the 2017-18 season.

There are reports that they are talking to Valeri Nichushkin - but he hasn't even been lighting the KHL on fire since he bolted. If John Tavares hits the UFA market the Stars will be very interested, and failing that they will almost certainly be talking to Ilya Kovalchuk. Other big names include James Van Riemsdy, Paul Stastny and James Neal. They also have Mattias Janmark and Antoine Roussel to resign as well as a backup goalie. Dallas is not totally pinched for cap space with the cap going up, but if they want to take a run at Tavares or Kovalchuk the cost will be very high.

The Canucks could take on Jason Spezza - who has a $7.5M cap hit for 2018-19 and pick up a draft pick in return. I don't know what the value of taking on that cap space is, perhaps a 2nd or maybe swapping our 3rd for their 2nd (plus their extra pick in the 4th round)?

For the Canucks, Spezza would provide depth at C and allow us to play Pettersson and/or Dahlen on the wing and develop Gaudette more slowly in Utica. Spezza would be an ideal veteran C for the Canucks.

Winnipeg is going to want another shot at the Conference Finals, but they are really tight to the cap and need to sign Paul Stastny, Jacob Trouba, Josh Morrissey and Connor Hellebuyck. Unfortunately, they already gave up their 1st round pick to acquire Stastny; will they give up another pick to re-sign him? But taking Steve Mason and his $4.1M cap hit off their hands would make it a lot easier.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Since Linden and Benning have both said they do not anticipate pursuing any of the top tier free agents this summer, it brings up the topic of "weaponizing" cap space. I think the term is a bit over blown, but if there are teams that want to take a run at Tavares, Van Riemsdyk, Kovalchuk, etc in free agency there are a couple of deals that could work.

Dallas had a disappointing year in 2017-18, finishing out of the playoffs, 6th in the Central Division. They have a really solid defense (6th in goals against, 3rd in shots against/game) but their offense was anemic. The Star generating only 231 goals (18th overall) and 31 shots per game (20th) during the 2017-18 season.

There are reports that they are talking to Valeri Nichushkin - but he hasn't even been lighting the KHL on fire since he bolted. If John Tavares hits the UFA market the Stars will be very interested, and failing that they will almost certainly be talking to Ilya Kovalchuk. Other big names include James Van Riemsdy, Paul Stastny and James Neal. They also have Mattias Janmark and Antoine Roussel to resign as well as a backup goalie. Dallas is not totally pinched for cap space with the cap going up, but if they want to take a run at Tavares or Kovalchuk the cost will be very high.

The Canucks could take on Jason Spezza - who has a $7.5M cap hit for 2018-19 and pick up a draft pick in return. I don't know what the value of taking on that cap space is, perhaps a 2nd or maybe swapping our 3rd for their 2nd (plus their extra pick in the 4th round)?

For the Canucks, Spezza would provide depth at C and allow us to play Pettersson and/or Dahlen on the wing and develop Gaudette more slowly in Utica. Spezza would be an ideal veteran C for the Canucks.

Winnipeg is going to want another shot at the Conference Finals, but they are really tight to the cap and need to sign Paul Stastny, Jacob Trouba, Josh Morrissey and Connor Hellebuyck. Unfortunately, they already gave up their 1st round pick to acquire Stastny; will they give up another pick to re-sign him? But taking Steve Mason and his $4.1M cap hit off their hands would make it a lot easier.

Dallas doesnt need cap space so they wont be paying anyone to take Spezza. He only has a year left and Dallas can keep the contract + go after a free agent... No need to pay anyone to take a contract that is done in the year they need extra cap

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Not sure where to put this question...this seemed like the best spot.

Who is going to be this year's Brock Boeser? By that I don't necessarily mean a rookie. I mean a player who significantly exceeds expectations. Every year there seems to be one or two. It was Hutton three years ago.

Lots of candidates this year:
Pettersson: I would say if he clearly shows he can be a top six forward as a 19 year old, that would exceed expectations.
Virtanen: >15 goals?
Juolevi: makes the team out of training camp and becomes a regular?
Gaudette: shows he's a solid middle six centre with offense?
Baertschi: becomes more than meh.
Hutton: comes to camp in the best shape of his life and Green gives him 18+ minutes a night?
Goldobin: solidifies a top 6 spot.
Dahlen: makes club out of training camp and earns his minutes at the NHL level.

others....

Now, let me be clear, I have no expectations that more than 1 or 2, if any, will meet these bars. It just seems that this year there are more candidates that could potentially have breakout years.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Who is going to be this year's Brock Boeser? By that I don't necessarily mean a rookie. I mean a player who significantly exceeds expectations. Every year there seems to be one or two. It was Hutton three years ago.

Pettersson: I would say if he clearly shows he can be a top six forward as a 19 year old, that would exceed expectations.
Hutton: comes to camp in the best shape of his life and Green gives him 18+ minutes a night?

others....

Now, let me be clear, I have no expectations that more than 1 or 2, if any, will meet these bars. It just seems that this year there are more candidates that could potentially have breakout years.

My money is on Virtanen. He passed the eye test last season from my perspective. I also wouldn’t be surprised if we see some major flashes of brilliance from Leipsic.

I think Gaudette will be more similar to Horvat than Boeser.

Reactions: MAGICMAN1963

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Dallas doesnt need cap space so they wont be paying anyone to take Spezza. He only has a year left and Dallas can keep the contract + go after a free agent... No need to pay anyone to take a contract that is done in the year they need extra cap

Dallas has about $17M in cap space, but this accounts for only 13 players. So even if they filled their 23 man roster with league minimum salaries it would eat up $6.5M of that. Obviously that's not going to happen. If you plug in the RFAs at other players expected to be on the roster:
  • Mattias Janmark - he signed a 1 year deal at $700K last summer after sitting out the previous season recovering from surgery to fix a degenerative knee condition. In his 2 NHL seasons he has put up 15 and 19 goals, so expect something in the $3M range.
  • Miro Heiskanen - $894K + ELC bonuses - likely around $2M or more.
  • Back up goalie - Probably in the $2.5M range.
  • Stephen Johns (RFA) - $840K qualifying offer.
  • Antoine Roussel or equivalent (UFA) - $1.5M - $2M
  • Gemel Smith (RFA) - $715K QO
  • Devin Shore (RFA) - $874K QO
So adding those up - that's $11.4M to $11.9M - and still only a roster of 20. If they want to add Nichushkin and Kovalchuk /Tavares/Van Rymsdyk it's not going to be enough.

So if Dallas wants to go status quo they probably don't need additional cap space. But if they want to make and go deep into the playoffs they need to score more then 231 goals. And if they struggle to score and miss the playoffs or get blown out in the first round, will they be able to even re-sign Tyler Seguin next summer?

Now Jim Nill is a smart guy and he's probably got a lot more plans and ideas than I do, but it's an option I would consider. They have already said they are not going to buyout Spezza - likely because it would spread the cap hit ($2.5M) into next season when they need to re-sign Seguin and Methot.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Depends what your expectations are for each player.
Exactly this. Which is why I listed some "exceeding expectations" parameters. If Liepsic has a breakout year to translate his offensive production in other leagues to the NHL, let's say scores 45+ points, that would be way above expectations. And a bigger win than if Virtanen scores 16 goals.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Tavares amp has been in daily discussions for two weeks?

Sure has.

It's the one that goes to 11.

upload_2018-6-16_14-6-35.png

Reactions: JuniorNelson

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Dallas has about $17M in cap space, but this accounts for only 13 players. So even if they filled their 23 man roster with league minimum salaries it would eat up $6.5M of that. Obviously that's not going to happen. If you plug in the RFAs at other players expected to be on the roster:
  • Mattias Janmark - he signed a 1 year deal at $700K last summer after sitting out the previous season recovering from surgery to fix a degenerative knee condition. In his 2 NHL seasons he has put up 15 and 19 goals, so expect something in the $3M range.
  • Miro Heiskanen - $894K + ELC bonuses - likely around $2M or more.
  • Back up goalie - Probably in the $2.5M range.
  • Stephen Johns (RFA) - $840K qualifying offer.
  • Antoine Roussel or equivalent (UFA) - $1.5M - $2M
  • Gemel Smith (RFA) - $715K QO
  • Devin Shore (RFA) - $874K QO
So adding those up - that's $11.4M to $11.9M - and still only a roster of 20. If they want to add Nichushkin and Kovalchuk /Tavares/Van Rymsdyk it's not going to be enough.

So if Dallas wants to go status quo they probably don't need additional cap space. But if they want to make and go deep into the playoffs they need to score more then 231 goals. And if they struggle to score and miss the playoffs or get blown out in the first round, will they be able to even re-sign Tyler Seguin next summer?

Now Jim Nill is a smart guy and he's probably got a lot more plans and ideas than I do, but it's an option I would consider. They have already said they are not going to buyout Spezza - likely because it would spread the cap hit ($2.5M) into next season when they need to re-sign Seguin and Methot.
Dallas isn't even a consideration for Tavares and likely doesn't go after a winger that will cost as much as JVR or Kovalchuck. I know people love to try and tell us how we need cap but we really don't... we are fine to keep spezza

member 290103

I have heard Benning on the radio several times talk about how they are not interested in taking on a bad contract. It's the same line of BS from him everytime...."we want to compete and make the playoffs." Not sure if that has changed this year, but I doubt it.

Reactions: MS

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

others....

Pettersson out of that by a longshot. Easily. The one true elite prospect we have. Shows every sign of future stardom. PLEASE stay healthy.
Dahlen's the wild card for me. I just hope his skating and conditioning are up to snuff,
Juolevi's coming off back surgery, but unless he's in a body cast he will be in the opening lineup. I doubt he's ready for prime time, but the team desperately needs him to be something anything and they need that right now.
Gaudette should continue developing but I doubt he makes a Boeser-like splash. I see many nights of being a scared, slight rookie ahead of him.
Virtanen I doubt improves much.
Baertschi has been exactly the same damn thing since he left Calgary. Give it up. He is who he is: a slight, soft, streaky scorer with good hands who can pot 40-45 points a season. And that's it.
Hutton is in Green's doghouse and I doubt he lasts longer than a couple of months. He'll be traded or lost on waivers.
I think last year would've been Goldobin's breakout year if he was going to have one.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
My money is on Virtanen. He passed the eye test last season from my perspective. I also wouldn’t be surprised if we see some major flashes of brilliance from Leipsic.

I think Gaudette will be more similar to Horvat than Boeser.

Duh.

How could I forget Pettersson? I don’t think Pettersson will be as impressive as Boeser was in his first year (EP will have the better career however), but he’ll still be pretty danged good.

My only hope is that the Canucks don’t force fudge EP into being a Center. Let him play the position where he is showing the most promise.

Look for Virtanen and Pettersson to be nice surprises this coming season, with Gaudette riding shotgun. Dahlen will be a wildcard.

Boeser will have a sophomore slump, while Horvat will show a marginal yet honest improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Pettersson out of that by a longshot. Easily. The one true elite prospect we have. Shows every sign of future stardom. PLEASE stay healthy.
Dahlen's the wild card for me. I just hope his skating and conditioning are up to snuff,
Juolevi's coming off back surgery, but unless he's in a body cast he will be in the opening lineup. I doubt he's ready for prime time, but the team desperately needs him to be something anything and they need that right now.
Gaudette should continue developing but I doubt he makes a Boeser-like splash. I see many nights of being a scared, slight rookie ahead of him.
Virtanen I doubt improves much.
Baertschi has been exactly the same damn thing since he left Calgary. Give it up. He is who he is: a slight, soft, streaky scorer with good hands who can pot 40-45 points a season. And that's it.
Hutton is in Green's doghouse and I doubt he lasts longer than a couple of months. He'll be traded or lost on waivers.
I think last year would've been Goldobin's breakout year if he was going to have one.
I thought the same thing until I heard Green's interview a couple of days ago. He expects Hutton to have a good year and the one most responsible for that, other than Hutton himself, is the guy who can give him ice time and favourable deployment opportunities. Of course, Green could just be building up the asset in expectation Hutton will be moved.
Anyway, as I said, if Hutton earns 18+ minutes a night, that would be a pleasant surprise and exceed expectations.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Frost or Sanheim + their 1st or f*** off. Don't know what Myers is up to lately but I recall hearing good things about him too.

Another team that could seriously use him (otherwise they'll probably remain average as f***) and it's a situation where we should have the leverage.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Cant see them giving up one of their firsts and Sanheim unless we also took Lehtera if they wanted to make a big UFA splash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad