Player Discussion: Ross Colton

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Coop on what he's learned about Colton:
"Probably his compete, his grittiness. I've liked that about him. He's greasy and in a good way. He's always getting a piece of an opponent, he's always kinda getting in their way. And then the other part is probably, he's got a better knack around the net than I probably gave him credit for. To be able to do it in the minors is one thing, but to do it up here in the NHL is another. It's a tiny sample size but he's proving he can score here."

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Watch cooper bench this kid in the playoffs and say he isn’t ready to play both ends of the rink man I hope not he is good

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Watch cooper bench this kid in the playoffs and say he isn’t ready to play both ends of the rink man I hope not he is good
k0jPoN6.gif

That said, Coop has this guy playing in the top 6. He's produced on the 4th line, Coop is giving him more trust and more minutes and knows he's got the hustle. He'll be in the lineup for playoffs, no doubt.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
k0jPoN6.gif

That said, Coop has this guy playing in the top 6. He's produced on the 4th line, Coop is giving him more trust and more minutes and knows he's got the hustle. He'll be in the lineup for playoffs, no doubt.
Yeah - Coop at times is slow to trust kids, but when they knock the door down he tends to listen eventually.

Reactions: DaBolts

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Yeah - Coop at times is slow to trust kids, but when they knock the door down he tends to listen eventually.
People complain about guys like Marsh. Verhaege, Volkov. But on the other side there's Kuch. Gourde. Point. Cirelli. Serg. Ross.

They earn the minutes, start in lesser roles and then take their spots.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Did anybody see this coming? Is he especially suited for the NHL or is this gonna be the hottest streak of his career?

He's six goals away from his career high in the A.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Did anybody see this coming? Is he especially suited for the NHL or is this gonna be the hottest streak of his career?

I mentioned in the prospect thread in September I thought Colton was a potential under the radar prospect who could challenge for a 4th line spot if we moved Paquette. I didn't think he would produce like this but I like how his game translated. I wasn't a fan after his first year in Syracuse. Coming from the NCAA and being 22 I thought he would perform better but we had a strong team so was stuck in the bottom 6 and didn't impress. The start of last season was a but of the same with a deep C core but after some roster moves found his way into the top 6 and was maybe the best Crunch player prior to shutdown. I liked his game but didn't expect this, with his age not sure what his ceiling could be but his floor is high so should be able to stick in the league awhile.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Honest question @HoseEmDown - just how much hockey do you watch, and where do you find the time for it? I'm often impressed that you know the individual games of so many players across the college/AHL/junior spectrum.

Not as much as I used to for sure since I've had kids and got rid of cable over a year ago. I do shift work so most weeks I work just 3 nights so I have a few days to catch a game if I can find a stream and my job had Fox sports so I would watch while working if I could. I had AHL TV in the past but didn't renew this year cause the price wasn't great for the amount of games they're playing. With the internet these days you can find game recaps, player highlights and such to try to keep up. But with all that said I don't think I really watch that much anymore especially not like I used to when I first joined. I think what may make me stand out is that we've lost a lot poster's in recent years that kept up with prospects, or at least paid some attention, so there aren't as many perspectives going around. I don't have 35 years of high level experience like some people and my scouting skills aren't the best, Lee, Lindback and Sustr will attest to that, but I love hockey and love the lightning so I do what I can to keep as informed as I can, watch as much as I can and interact with fellow fans as much as I can.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Not as much as I used to for sure since I've had kids and got rid of cable over a year ago. I do shift work so most weeks I work just 3 nights so I have a few days to catch a game if I can find a stream and my job had Fox sports so I would watch while working if I could. I had AHL TV in the past but didn't renew this year cause the price wasn't great for the amount of games they're playing. With the internet these days you can find game recaps, player highlights and such to try to keep up. But with all that said I don't think I really watch that much anymore especially not like I used to when I first joined. I think what may make me stand out is that we've lost a lot poster's in recent years that kept up with prospects, or at least paid some attention, so there aren't as many perspectives going around. I don't have 35 years of high level experience like some people and my scouting skills aren't the best, Lee, Lindback and Sustr will attest to that, but I love hockey and love the lightning so I do what I can to keep as informed as I can, watch as much as I can and interact with fellow fans as much as I can.
Who left that contributed? Are there other sites to check out?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Cirelli was the Colton before Colton, and he's doing alright minutes wise...
Killer agrees
No matter where the Lightning put him or how they utilize him, Colton makes an impact in the outcome.

"I think those are what you look for, those intangibles," Killorn said. "It's kind of similar to when (Anthony) Cirelli came up scoring big goals. I think Ross, to do it at the NHL level in a lot of these situations where it seems like he's the guy that's getting us back into these games, for a guy that young to be doing that, and he continues to do it, it's not like a one-off thing, it's really impressive. If you continue to do that, you'll play in this League a long time."

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I mean Colton is like the prototype of a coach's favorite player. I can't see Cooper misusing him.

Lol for whatever reason that is funny as hell to me because those guys always end up being the likes of Craig Adams, Tanner Glass and the corpse of Nate Thompson and Colton isn't like 30 years old and slow

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

I never understood your love for Brian Lee

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL

Either way he is earning his paycheck. Lets hope he keeps it up. We need him bad right now.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Who left that contributed? Are there other sites to check out?

It's hard to keep track because people have changed their usernames so not sure who's who all the time. I know Robert had health problems so stopped posting awhile ago, Dom went to college or the Leafs board full time and there were others like Matt92 I believe that I haven't seen posting here much. We've added some posters for the ones we've lost but we really haven't added any ones who focus on prospects. Felonious is more a Solar Bears fan then a prospect watcher. Maybe I'm wrong and it just seems like we have less because there hasn't been any CHL for so long.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I never understood your love for Brian Lee

I think it's more this organizations need for a legit top 4 RD we haven't had since Boyle and Kubina. So any RD that even looks semi decent I feel can finally be that piece we've been missing. Lee was 6'3 210 and a good skater, he had some of the main ingredients we were looking for, unfortunately his IQ and skills didn't match. We got lucky LA decided to trade us Cernak and the jury is still out on Foote.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
We all just got hosed with Wholesome HoseEmDown

Reactions: Hoek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad