Player Discussion: Ross Colton

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Coop post game:
"He's kind of pulled that line together a little bit. He's responsible in his own end, he competes hard, he's got a good stick, and he's won some draws for us. He hasn't had a ton of time with us and he gets in sporadically in games but he keeps improving and he's a pretty gutty kid. I'll be honest, when you saw that shootout goal, he's got some confidence to himself as well."

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Maroon:
"Honestly I think Ross compliments me pretty well. He gets in on the forecheck, he uses the backs of the nets a lot, and we feed off each other and Jo's been outstanding staying high, recovering pucks, and being responsible and getting pucks back down low."
"I'm really happy for Colton. He's done everything the team has asked him. He's come in and worked hard. He's put his head down and done the little things to make him earn a spot in the lineup. Very happy for him. He deserves it. He's going to keep getting rewarded by the work ethic he's been putting in. You can see it on the ice. He's adapting pretty well . He's winning faceoffs, he's doing the little things that make him successful and it's good to see."
Hedman:
"Cal Foote was next to me and he told me exactly what he was going to do (in the shootout). So I already knew before Coltsy came in on the shootout. He called it and then I called Pointers so we had it down. I thought he's been tremendous. The games he's played, he brings a lot of energy to that line and they scored a big goal for us there in the 2nd period. But yeah, absolutely no nerves whatsoever. Beautiful shootout move. Big reason why we won today."

Reactions: The Macho King

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah, said it last night, him and Maroon play off eachother well. He's similar to Paquette in how they use the boards. You see Maroons play elevate when you have guys like Colton and Smith with him.

Reactions: Hoek and NatoGhost

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah, said it last night, him and Maroon play off eachother well. He's similar to Paquette in how they use the boards. You see Maroons play elevate when you have guys like Colton and Smith with him.
I’d take both Smith and Colton as a regular on our 4th line over Volkov 11/10 times rn. They match so much better with the Big Rig.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I’d take both Smith and Colton as a regular on our 4th line over Volkov 11/10 times rn. They match so much better with the Big Rig.
Not only that - I just haven't really seen... it? from Volkov. Most of the guys who we ultimately moved on from but were solid NHL players (I'm thinking Connolly, Panik, Verhaege, and March) had those moments that really teased out what could be. I'm just not seeing that from Volkov. If I notice him at all it's normally for a bad reason. He's soft on the puck, he's not particularly fast, and he never really seems to be in the right place.

ABB, Smith, and Colton have all shown *something* in their time up here. Volkov is getting passed on the depth chart pretty quickly.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Not only that - I just haven't really seen... it? from Volkov. Most of the guys who we ultimately moved on from but were solid NHL players (I'm thinking Connolly, Panik, Verhaege, and March) had those moments that really teased out what could be. I'm just not seeing that from Volkov. If I notice him at all it's normally for a bad reason. He's soft on the puck, he's not particularly fast, and he never really seems to be in the right place.

ABB, Smith, and Colton have all shown *something* in their time up here. Volkov is getting passed on the depth chart pretty quickly.

Agreed. Still hopeful it somehow comes together for Volkov but so far Colton is a better 4th line option and ABB a better 1/2 line PP option.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

I looked up his shootout stats and he's 0 for 2 in his 2 seasons in the AHL. He had 1 attempt in 18-19 and 1 attempt in 19-20. But good on Colton to seize the opportunity and then make something of it.

Here's that same move at a prospect tournament in 2018

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
I'll just echo some of the good things said about Colton. I like his style of play and confidence. It feels good to have such a talented core group AND some young guys showing something at the NHL level.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Hopefully he continues to develop and get minutes with this 4th line. Hopefully Killorn and Johnson are finally shipped out so we can give guys like Ross, ABB, Volkov full time spots in this lineup.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Hopefully he continues to develop and get minutes with this 4th line. Hopefully Killorn and Johnson are finally shipped out so we can give guys like Ross, ABB, Volkov full time spots in this lineup.

*Friends theme plays*

That's Ross Colton's music! What is he here for? What does he want?

*chairshot to Alexander Volkov's career*

Bah Gawd!

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Loving the effort and how he plays. So far, I'd play him over Volkov who's way too inconsistent still.

Good prospects are lining up at the door to have a spot on the main roster, can't wait for TyJo and Killer to be shipped out honestly

OdinsFury

Oct 2, 2020
Colton is the perfect example of how prospects between the ages of 18 and 23 are not finished products. We as fans get hooked on notion that you have to be dominating juniors by the age of 17 to become a very good NHL player. That is just not so! Many times kids mature physically, mentally and emotionally at vastly different rates. And then you combine that with kids that continue to work hard (ala Brayden Point) and their games just take a bit longer to develop than say a Crosby or McDavid! Not saying that Colton will become a Point but guys like Marty, Gourde and countless others were no where near at age 20 or 21 what they became by age 25!

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
While I thought his line was fantastic in the offensive zone last night, I was really impressed with *his* defense (and Joseph's too, honestly).

They obviously didn't get tough minutes, but he was in the right spot, used his stick to break up passes, used his body to break up the cycle, and played a real good, 200 foot game.

If that's the type of energy we get out of our fourth line on a nightly basis, forget about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad