Player Discussion: Ross Colton

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
I can already see Ross flourishing in Colorado (assuming he gets in the top 6, their fans thinks he starts at 3C) while we really struggle with secondary scoring and wondering why we let Ross go.

I'm wrong a lot, so hope that's the case here.

Reactions: ultra63

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I can already see Ross flourishing in Colorado (assuming he gets in the top 6, their fans thinks he starts at 3C) while we really struggle with secondary scoring and wondering why we let Ross go.

I'm wrong a lot, so hope that's the case here.
Yeah, if he gets a top 6 role and time on PP1, it wouldn't shock me at all if he's at least a 50 point guy for them. 40something probably if he remains on the 3rd line and PP2.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Yeah, if he gets a top 6 role and time on PP1, it wouldn't shock me at all if he's at least a 50 point guy for them. 40something probably if he remains on the 3rd line and PP2.
Would you say he's better than Compher? I don't think so, but its a matter of opinion at the end of the day.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Would you say he's better than Compher? I don't think so, but its a matter of opinion at the end of the day.
I think he is better personally, and felt the loss of Killorn was justified because Colton was ready to move into his top 6 role. I do not think Jeannot is as good of a player, nor do I see a viable top 6 replacement for Killorn currently on the roster. If Tampa can utilize the extra space to get someone like Niederreiter or Tatar, that opinion would change, but overpaying Jeannot by ~500k has made it much more difficult to sign one(Tatar for example) and still roll with 22.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
4M is an excellent deal for Colton, you guys are out to lunch thinking that's an overpayment but then again I remember people thinking Killorn was "overpaid" too.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
4M is an excellent deal for Colton, you guys are out to lunch thinking that's an overpayment but then again I remember people thinking Killorn was "overpaid" too.
4 to 5 is pretty common for depth players that put up 40 to 50 points these days. Problems teams run into is paying their stars 8 to 10 mil and each of those contracts eliminates that 4 to 5 mil guy turns that position into a 2.5 or less. It leaves holes in the roster typically in the top 6 or top 4 on the D side. We all know this to be true yet there is no consensus of who needs to be moved to balance the team. This team is going to miss Killorn in every aspect he was the reliable player 5x5 pp or pk. I like Shery’s game though would like to see more scoring from him. Currently according to cap friendly the team is over th he cap with 23 players so I expect they’re going to be running 22. I do not see any other moves at this point. I could see a waiver addition if there is a player that makes sense but they will be young kids. There will be some surprising players waived IMO from teams across the league there will be a number of teams trying the Johnson waiver option.

Reactions: Renopucker

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
It would've been 500k overpaid, and for 4 years, for a guy averaging 36 points and 19 goals a year. Not like overpaying guys by at least 500k is some big deal lately for JBB. Tampa wouldn't have had any space left, but a 4×4 deal for Colton was easily done by just sending Myers down, and they'd still have a 22 player roster, just no Jeannot. It is what it is, but JBB valuing Jeannot more cost the team Colton.
We should trade Myers to Arizona to replace the arrested guy.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
We should trade Myers to Arizona to replace the arrested guy.
Getting rid of Myers's full cap hit, while saving the team only 250k, could still make a difference in signing one last player. Moving him and sending down one additional player(either Fleury or the current 13th F) would give Tampa approximately 1.9 million to sign one additional F and still have a 22 player roster. If they are willing to roll with 21(doubtful), then they could stretch the available space for a 12th F acquisition to around 2.6 million. Maybe the difference between 1.65 and 1.9 or 2.35 and 2.6 won't matter, but every extra amount helps. If JBB isn't going to trade Seabrook, might as well use the space now, unless they already have some targets in mind for the deadline and want to wait.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad