Player Discussion: Ross Colton

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
What’s your thoughts on Ross? Would love to see him back. Does JBB have a verbal agreement in place? Is he looking to trade Colton or another piece to make room for him?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
What’s your thoughts on Ross? Would love to see him back. Does JBB have a verbal agreement in place? Is he looking to trade Colton or another piece to make room for him?

It's been a really hot minute since we've had a rookie forward come up from Syracuse and not only contribute, but look pretty good most of the time doing it. Really who was the last one? Cirelli like 4 years ago? Colton ain't going anywhere.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
It's been a really hot minute since we've had a rookie forward come up from Syracuse and not only contribute, but look pretty good most of the time doing it. Really who was the last one? Cirelli like 4 years ago? Colton ain't going anywhere.

This.

And he'll be the next one set up to be paid big in 3 years.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Colton has until 5 EST to file for arbitration today. Hope it doesn’t come to that. Looks like the Lightning have 1.1 million or so to give him.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Maybe Ross is still hungover from partying with Kuch and the cup? Hasn't had an opportunity yet to sign his new contract with us :sarcasm:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Wow when is the last time we had a player file for arbitration? Feels like it’s been a few years

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Wow when is the last time we had a player file for arbitration? Feels like it’s been a few years
Drej and TJ may have been the last to file.

Arbitration normally goes for one-year deals. It could be a way to force JBB into it. He's been signing all the other young guys to 3-years.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Hope the can figure it out and still carry a 22 man roster. I think it’s important next season to have both a F and D for the rotation.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Is there really a comparable to get paid more than $1.2 million for just 12 points?
Ross Colton's agent is experienced. What I would figure the play would be is that Colton wants to bet on himself.

Either he takes a 3-year deal starting at like 775-800k, and that runs for 3-years, maybe with some modest scheduled raises along the way (flat cap), or he ends up with an arbitration award, probably for something similar, but only for one-year. JBB has to take it, or let him walk.

If he busts, then he's not really lost much. If he succeeds, he's looking at a bigger payday in 2022.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Ross Colton's agent is experienced. What I would figure the play would be is that Colton wants to bet on himself.

Either he takes a 3-year deal starting at like 775-800k, and that runs for 3-years, maybe with some modest scheduled raises along the way (flat cap), or he ends up with an arbitration award, probably for something similar, but only for one-year. JBB has to take it, or let him walk.

If he busts, then he's not really lost much. If he succeeds, he's looking at a bigger payday in 2022.

Yeah that makes sense.

I was thinking this too, Colton may be gone
Um the conclusion to draw from that post is someone else may be gone to make room for what Colton is going to get. We could've just moved him before this if we were thinking we could do without.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Unless they are moving Rutta, i dont really see another move, an that only saves them like 500k

Unless they are gonna start the year with a 21man roster, which i guess is possible, but not preferable

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yeah that makes sense.

Um the conclusion to draw from that post is someone else may be gone to make room for what Colton is going to get. We could've just moved him before this if we were thinking we could do without.

That could work too but I don’t see another obvious trade we could make to free up the space. Who were you thinking would go?

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Could understand why he would want to bet on himself a little more. Got a good shot and has already kind of proved that he knows it works at this level. With some more opportunities he will get more of them! Looking forward to seeing him with that bigger opportunity this year.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Could understand why he would want to bet on himself a little more. Got a good shot and has already kind of proved that he knows it works at this level. With some more opportunities he will get more of them! Looking forward to seeing him with that bigger opportunity this year.

With him going into arbitration, I hope we can find an agreement.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I don't like it. I don't feel he has done enough to go this route. I always wonder what players think of their teammates, as they're only human and obviously have opinions they'd never share with the public. To me this is an unnecessary step to take and has the possibility of creating a perception of a young guy only in it for the money.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I don't like it. I don't feel he has done enough to go this route. I always wonder what players think of their teammates, as they're only human and obviously have opinions they'd never share with the public. To me this is an unnecessary step to take and has the possibility of creating a perception of a young guy only in it for the money.

He only filed for arbitration, still plenty of time before it goes to a hearing, we really have no idea what the contract talks look like. It can be something as simple as him wanting a one way contract instead of a two way contract, which seems fair, so I don't think we should jump to conclusions. Having said that, if it's AAV that is the issue a trade suddenly becomes more realistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->