Player Discussion: Ross Colton

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
It's too hard to project anything really but it's worth noting Colton was a great save away from his 3rd goal and having 5 points in 7 games. At this point, all you can do is just keep playing him until the high of his debut wears off

Yep, he just has to show consistency over a longer stretch for me to start considering him part of the future plans.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I don't know the ins and outs of it at all. Am reading the threads and trying to learn more, it seems very complicated.

Is it at all possible to buy out Johnson's contract at that the trade deadline or right before the playoffs begin?

Buyout? No.

We can trade him, up to the trade deadline.

Cap does not apply in the playoffs, so I don't think there's any value in a move just before the playoffs start.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoltsFanSinceDay1

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
There's enough cap to resign Goodrow. They're fine next year by just moving Johnson and Killorn.

"Fine" is a little optimistic.

If we only move Killorn and Johnson, then we'll only be able to field a 21-man roster all next season (unless we get Foote to take a pay cut or find a cheaper backup than McElhinney).

Running a short roster made sense this year, since the taxi squad gives you free guys who are basically up with the big club and since there were only 56 games. Trying to squeak by with just 21 guys when there's no taxi squad for a full 82 games would be a lot harder.

Additionally, Goodrow is gonna need a raise. Even if we do decide to run 21, there's only about $600k to go around for raises to Goodrow, Foote and (new?) McBackup. That could be enough to get it done, but might not be.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yep, he just has to show consistency over a longer stretch for me to start considering him part of the future plans.

Well here's the thing. I have been so praising of Colton and harsh on a guy like Volkov because I have a very strict standard I abide by: fundamentals. After 3 to 5 games to get the yips out of his system, a guy should be fundamentally ready. Let all that "don't judge them right away" stuff be saved for them figuring out how to score at the NHL level. If a 4th liner can break in and be even a net neutral I'm happy.

But if you're a Lightning call up there's like a 95% chance you've paid your dues in Syracuse and have 50-150 games of professional experience and you're like +3 to +5 on your draft year. "muh 200 foot game" "muh pucks in deep" and all that boring fundamental nonsense fans are sick of hearing about in interviews of has been drilled into them for YEARS. That's why Cirelli, Gourde, Johnson, Killorn, Palat etc etc have all come into the NHL and gone "boom."

Their success is attributed to that they were fundamentally ready. They just had to figure out how to score. Lightning players who have had 100+ games in Syracuse have no excuse to not be prepared to execute fundamental hockey

Colton is fluid in transition. He is strong on the puck. He is consistently in a position to receive a pass and doesn't really force anything offensively. He could have 0 points and he'd still get an A+ from me because he is a fundamentally sound player who is prepared to meet the demands of our structure and how we score.

Volkov? That's for a different thread

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Well here's the thing. I have been so praising of Colton and harsh on a guy like Volkov because I have a very strict standard I abide by: fundamentals. After 3 to 5 games to get the yips out of his system, a guy should be fundamentally ready. Let all that "don't judge them right away" stuff be saved for them figuring out how to score at the NHL level. If a 4th liner can break in and be even a net neutral I'm happy.

But if you're a Lightning call up there's like a 95% chance you've paid your dues in Syracuse and have 50-150 games of professional experience and you're like +3 to +5 on your draft year. "muh 200 foot game" "muh pucks in deep" and all that boring fundamental nonsense fans are sick of hearing about in interviews of has been drilled into them for YEARS. That's why Cirelli, Gourde, Johnson, Killorn, Palat etc etc have all come into the NHL and gone "boom."

Their success is attributed to that they were fundamentally ready. They just had to figure out how to score. Lightning players who have had 100+ games in Syracuse have no excuse to not be prepared to execute fundamental hockey

Colton is fluid in transition. He is strong on the puck. He is consistently in a position to receive a pass and doesn't really force anything offensively. He could have 0 points and he'd still get an A+ from me because he is a fundamentally sound player who is prepared to meet the demands of our structure and how we score.

Him being scratched yesterday says everything, just because he has been playing A+ caliber hockey over a hand full of games doesn't mean that he is part of future plans. We've seen it time and time again, he had no business being scratched yesterday based on recent performance but there he was, serving popcorn instead of Volkov. It'll take some more time before the coaching staff gives him the Cernak treatment and not the Koekkoek treatment.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Him being scratched yesterday says everything, just because he has been playing A+ caliber hockey over a hand full of games doesn't mean that he is part of future plans. We've seen it time and time again, he had no business being scratched yesterday based on recent performance but there he was, serving popcorn instead of Volkov. It'll take some more time before the coaching staff gives him the Cernak treatment and not the Koekkoek treatment.
Oh my god how many times does this have to be explained.

He was the only forward who was waived eligible when we had to call up Borgman. Volkov would need waivers and we would lose him for nothing.

Reactions: NatoGhost

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

He was scratched due to cap issues.... Not to get Volkov in...

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto

A gust of wind doesn't knock him on his ass like Volkov. Big plus in my book :thumbu:

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Someone compared Colton to Point earlier in the conversation. From the eye test I can see this as well. Also considering he is playing the 4th his production thru 10 games has been a added bonus. Almost a 50 point pace on the 4th thats pretty much unheard of. If he continues at the very least he moves up to 3rd line. Its really really early but right now it looks like he can finish as well as any player on this team not named Kuch, Stammer, Point. The question is where will he fit in in two years? I fully expect Coop to try him at wing in the top 6 soon. I do like him at center but the C situation is clogged up at this point. In two years either Colton or Cirelli is going to have to be on the wing or on another team IMO. If Colton continues to follow Points path it is hard to imagine he will not be centering that 2nd line. But again its really early. But he will be cost controlled for 4 or 5 years which is something the team really needs right now.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I see him as a long-term Gourde replacement. Happy to have both at the same time though!

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Ya'll can't be serious right now with comparisons to Point and Gourde. Can't you just be happy for him and hope he can continue to prove himself? smh

Lol, why can't I do both? He's far exceeded expectations already, nobody is ever going to hold it against him if he doesn't become the next Point/Gourde. Projecting ahead is part of the fun of following a team long term.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Maroon-Colton-Joseph have the best goals per 60 minutes on the team at 4.55. the next highest is Killorn-Stamkos-Gourde at 3.04.. they also have the 2nd best GAp60 at .91 only behind Killorn-Cirelli-Stamkos..

Reactions: DaBolts

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I think some just thought another Marsh, Carter, situation, but Volkov just wasn't that good :dunno:

Agree 100%. I was mad when we lost Marchessault and Verhaeghe because they had both shown a lot of talent and drive and I knew they had serious breakout potential; I just don’t see that with Volkov. Not that he necessarily couldn’t improve with consistent playing time on a higher line, but I’ll be shocked if he ends up doing as well as either of those guys.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
One of Colton's biggest strength right now is that he knows how to playoff off Maroon, you almost get 2 players for one when he's in the lineup cause Maroon is useless when you play him with a Volkov or a Stephens.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Ya'll can't be serious right now with comparisons to Point and Gourde. Can't you just be happy for him and hope he can continue to prove himself? smh

Maybe we need to dial it back a touch but I'm sure you realize that if this kid proves himself any more he's gonna be costing more than just Alex Volkov his job. Unknown forwards drafted mid-to-late rounds going "boom" off the bat is literally a tradition for us now. It's a testament to how we develop them at the AHL level. Unless I did my math wrong, the last guy with 3 goals, 3 apples and a +6 in his first 10 games was Tyler Johnson.

You'll have to forgive it because that makes for one of the best 10 game debuts we've had in the Jon Cooper-era and history has taught us that more often than not we get a damn good player on our hands who doesn't end up being just a grinder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad