Sportsnet: Ron Hainsey signed confirmed

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Brannstrom is pretty important to the rebuild, for both on and off-ice reasons. I think he would have to be a trainwreck in pre-season to not be on the team.

Wolanin could end up back in Belleville, but I don't like that very much because I think Zaitsev benefits from having a mobile puck handler as a partner.

I'm not bothered by Jaros sitting. He's not really that good, and there's a decent chance we lose him to expansion anyway.
Fair enough, maybe I'm overvaluing Jaros.

Wolanin is arguably one of our best D already, so I don't want him going back to Belleville.

The right move imo is right there. Boro placed on waivers and either picked up or sent to Belleville. Problem solved.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
If Hainsey was signed to take Boro's minutes then I'm ok with this. He's an obvious upgrade even at 38. Otherwise this doesn't make that much sense. What is obvious is that our pro scouts are really the head coach and his staff.

Reactions: derriko

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Even at 38 he can provide solid leadership and mentor Ottawa's young "D". A move like this will be measured best in a couple of years as the D gain confidence and mature. Hainsey can be instrumental in this regard along with the new coaching staff.

Reactions: Hellraising Senator

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Hainsey is a good signing. Let's some young guys mature. He can play bottom pair minutes and provide vet leadership which is what PD said he was looking for

I also find it interesting that Hainsey signed and Zaitsev waived to come here. I think that speaks highly of DJ Smith

Reactions: Sensators

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I don't mind this. Hainsey is a class act and should be an excellent mentor for the young defense until he's flipped for a pick at the trade deadline. The Leafs wanted this guy back but we were able to outbid them due to the Toronto cap crunch.
I wonder if he's booked for a 3rd rounder in 2020 flight back to T.O. for the deadline to be honest.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
By far the best move today, in it's scope.

Solid vet, he's not going to ruin any tank, 1 year deal, and possibly be traded for an asset at the deadline. Nothing to dislike as a team destined to finish last overall regardless of this move.
Agreed

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
There is no excuse for this team to carry anything but a full roster in Ottawa. Who cares if Condon, Smith, Borocop, etc get paid zillions to sit in the press box in OTT/Bell. The days of respecting these guys on $3mill+ contracts should be finished. We are the worst team in the league, they will all clear waivers, and I’m sure if any wanted out of their contract the Sens would oblige.

Reactions: NB613 and Crosside

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
This deal probably pushes Brannstrom to the AHL for another year, which I love. Could use more seasoning. Kid's not even 20 yet.

Chabot - DeMelo
Wolanin - Zaitsev
Boro - Hainsey
Jaros

I know we'd all love for Boro to end up the 7th D with Jaros playing, but let's face it, it's not going to happen.

Reactions: coladin

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't hate it (thank goodness it was only a 1 year deal!) but today was a series of mediocre moves that really didn't need to be made.

I have a feeling Hainsey will be like Methot in Dallas.....last half a season before the body completely breaks down...so I'm not going to pencil in a deadline trade or any kind of return for him. I just hope Smith uses him correctly and lets the old geezer take some of the harder matchups on the ice and shelter and protect the kids a s much as we can this season.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Not a fan of this move. I get Hainsey will be a great presence for the young players and fills a role but with Boro around who will likely be in the lineup on a nightly basis it takes away ice time from one of Wolanin or Jaros and I dont believe that's the right move.

Reactions: Larionov

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
By far the best move today, in it's scope.

Solid vet, he's not going to ruin any tank, 1 year deal, and possibly be traded for an asset at the deadline. Nothing to dislike as a team destined to finish last overall regardless of this move.
Agreed. I’m surprised Ottawa actually shelled out 3.5 million for him today.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not a fan of this move. I get Hainsey will be a great presence for the young players and fills a role but with Boro around who will likely be in the lineup on a nightly basis it takes away ice time from one of Wolanin or Jaros and I dont believe that's the right move.

Wolanin will be forced into a two way like Harpur 1 year 2 way 1 year 1 way something like that.
Jaros will have the inside track as a rhd.
Brannstrom will have to wait

IMO its too bad for Wolanin and I am sure he won't be thrilled but .. best to suck it up .. go play hard and wait for an injury. Of course Brannstrom will be trying to knock the door down for the first crack and he could pass Wolanin this year. By rights Boro should get bumped.. Hainsey will likely need nights off and Wolanin should have a spot in the 6 starters.

The Sens will want good will from some of these guys not too long down the road

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, odds are we'll have at least one blueliner injury by November. Pretty rare not to have bumps and bruises on the blueline.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I like the signing but I worry it’ll bump Wolanin or Jaros from the lineup. Don’t like that idea. Holding out hope on the pipe dream that Boro sits more often than not or is moved.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I like the signing but I worry it’ll bump Wolanin or Jaros from the lineup. Don’t like that idea. Holding out hope on the pipe dream that Boro sits more often than not or is moved.

Thats only 5 regular NHL D including Boro. Somebody is going to be hurt most nights. 2 of the youngsters will be playing most nights. They'll get their games in without being gifted spots.

I'm all for bringing in a veteran defenseman, especially one that isn't going to vastly improve the team. Just stabilize the D a bit and add some leadership. I like this signing a lot.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Today I felt more confident that we made the right coaching choice. Hainsey and Ennis were both guys who seemed to want to come to Ottawa, and they were both recently coached by DJ Smith. Zaitsev waived his NTC to come to Ottawa.

As we all know, Ottawa isn't the most popular UFA destination, so that shows me that DJ Smith is well liked by his players.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Thats only 5 regular NHL D including Boro. Somebody is going to be hurt most nights. 2 of the youngsters will be playing most nights. They'll get their games in without being gifted spots.

I'm all for bringing in a veteran defenseman, especially one that isn't going to vastly improve the team. Just stabilize the D a bit and add some leadership. I like this signing a lot.

Yup, as mentioned I like it as well. And you’re right, I thought as well that injures will at some point play a role in guys getting games, especially with Boro’s wear and tear. Who I want out of the lineup and fast. Not to be forgotten are the potential of trades as well. Boro, Hainsey, DeMelo are all UFA’s in 2020.

With that being said, I think it’s absurd, and hate the idea that Jaros should/will be made to sit now just due to numbers when he’s already earned his spot on the team. Same with Wolanin in my mind, though a different player entirely, who showed different things than in fewer games. Unless they stink up the joint which I doubt either/both will they should be on the team with regular playing time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad