Sportsnet: Ron Hainsey signed confirmed

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
I am sure there are teams with space keeping an eye on this. Melnyk better be prepared to fork over a reasonably competitive contract with adequate bonus money now or Chabot is sure to be targeted imo. Ottawa is ripe to be picked apart as we move forward with this "rebuild". If the owner cannot step up to the plate or cannot afford to maybe he should not be in the game.
It's been obvious for years that Eugene can't afford to be in this business.

Reactions: h2

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Your last point is kinda key....Hainsey can still play...Perry not so much

What? Perry came off a massive injury and had 10 point in 31 games on a terrible team, you actually watch Hainsey? He could certainly not play he was horrid in the playoffs for the leafs. Hainsey is also 4 years older than Perry.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Hainsey was seen as instrumental in Reilly's breakout season. Sorely needed veteran.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
How's Hainsey doing ?
I miss the guy.
He's one of the worst players on one of the worst teams. If he's not playing with Chabot, he's getting dominated on the ice. He's incapable physically and mentally at this level now. He routinely gets caught flat footed in transition, can't close gaps due to being so slow footed and he's easily outmuscled in his zone. He's an easy guy for the opposition to target. Toss the puck in his corner and go to work.

The consider that he adds nothing in terms of offense to the game. He struggles to get shots off and is unable to create rebounds. Usually if you get a player this bad defensively, you're getting some kind of offense in return but Hainsey is as bad offensively as he is defensively.

So basically everything is going as expected.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He's one of the worst players on one of the worst teams. If he's not playing with Chabot, he's getting dominated on the ice. He's incapable physically and mentally at this level now. He routinely gets caught flat footed in transition, can't close gaps due to being so slow footed and he's easily outmuscled in his zone. He's an easy guy for the opposition to target. Toss the puck in his corner and go to work.

The consider that he adds nothing in terms of offense to the game. He struggles to get shots off and is unable to create rebounds. Usually if you get a player this bad defensively, you're getting some kind of offense in return but Hainsey is as bad offensively as he is defensively.

So basically everything is going as expected.

and yet I miss him when watching The Leafs shaky D.

Reactions: Variable26

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Hainsey is good and steady. His mobility is still decent and he’s so smart. Good on the PK.

he was playing with Bransstrom which can’t be easy. With a better and more solid partner I’d expect him to be much better.

Reactions: Variable26

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Hainsey is good and steady. His mobility is still decent and he’s so smart. Good on the PK.

he was playing with Bransstrom which can’t be easy. With a better and more solid partner I’d expect him to be much better.
That's not really how it works in practice though. Hainsey performs worse with every other D man on this team who aren't Chabot and Demelo. Shots and scoring chances against get worse when he's with any other Dman. Similarly, Brannstrom performs better away from Hainsey.

A good barometer is Zaitsev who is similarly terrible and one of the worst players in the league. Zaitsev when paired with one of the other worst Dmen in the NHL, Mark Borowiecki gets 40% SCF. With Hainsey its an abysmal 25%. Hainsey-Zaitsev is literally the worst pairing by Corsi and 3rd worst by SCF% in the entire NHL by D pairings who've played over 30 minutes together, so that should paint an good picture of where those guys are at.

This is mostly explained by Hainsey's partner's minutes being some of the most difficult on the team. He's rarely involved in the play and coasts back on D (mostly due to him being so slow, as you went ahead and misinformed about) and is most often found badly out of position. His partner's have to do most of the work while he waits for a pass he can fail to use to exit the zone.

Hopefully, he'll be out of the organization soon.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
How's Hainsey doing ?
I miss the guy.

He's ok, but at this point in his career he shouldn't have the 4th highest TOI/GP among D-men on his team, he should be somewhat sheltered on the 3rd pairing. However the context this year in Ottawa allows it, it's the 2nd year of the rebuild so it's a better idea to have a veteran like Hainsey eating those minutes and facing those responsibilities rather than throw a young guy into the wolves. Having Zaitsev, DeMelo and Hainsey as your #2, #3 and #4 won't make you a serious contender to even make the playoffs but in the context of a rebuild where the upcoming draft is insanely good, it is actually a good thing

He has slowed down over the years but can still compensate with experience/smarts/position. Can make a pass, read a play, angle off shooters but like I said, shouldn't be anywhere near your top-4

He's going to be 39 y/o at the end of this season, pretty impressive when nowadays you're able to play in the NHL until that age. He could maybe get a last contract as a depth contract next year but will he want a marginal role?

Note : advice : avoid the extreme opinions, not reliable/credible. For example, there's people that still can't understand that a #4 playing as a #2 won't make him look good or have him have good/decent underlying stats. There's plenty of guys in the NHL playing in the "wrong chair" (due to a lack of depth) which is something that has been talked about by "experts" for several years now, but looks like some still didn't get the memo.

He’s been fine. I suspect his greater value to this fledgling squad is off the ice.

The coach has mentioned several times how important he has been to the kids in a player/coach role.

For a team that is not expecting/or trying to compete for a playoff spot, and that has made player development a priority, the type of player that teaches/models the kids how to be young pros on and off the ice, while being able to answer a million questions is valuable.

I’m not getting need to hate on guys that are doing exactly what they’re supposed to be doing.

That's because you're not a "hater". Some just can't do anything about it, it's in their nature.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He’s been fine. I suspect his greater value to this fledgling squad is off the ice.

The coach has mentioned several times how important he has been to the kids in a player/coach role.

For a team that is not expecting/or trying to compete for a playoff spot, and that has made player development a priority, the type of player that teaches/models the kids how to be young pros on and off the ice, while being able to answer a million questions is valuable.

I’m not getting need to hate on guys that are doing exactly what they’re supposed to be doing.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
However Hainsey is playing, how Dorions trades him will go a long way to our FA signings this July 1. If Hainsey gets shipped to a legit contender (Boston, Edm, Washington) that’ll go a long way to being able to bring in FA next year. If Hainsey gets shipped to a pretender like MTL, Vancouver i doubt anyone will want to come to Ottawa

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
However Hainsey is playing, how Dorions trades him will go a long way to our FA signings this July 1. If Hainsey gets shipped to a legit contender (Boston, Edm, Washington) that’ll go a long way to being able to bring in FA next year. If Hainsey gets shipped to a pretender like MTL, Vancouver i doubt anyone will want to come to Ottawa

They'll consult him before making a move.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah how did you like him on the GWG today?
He was an absolute pylon on 3 goals. Just watch the build up to that delayed penalty goal. He is physically incapable of covering enough space in the defensive zone. The puck just got worked for probably a solid 40 seconds on his side. He did nothing. Just stood there while Paul tries to cover for his lack of ability to get to space.

That's basically a normal shift for him though. He just stands there, reacts slow, is physically slow.

I'm apparently wrong though. He gets dominated on a game to game basis but I'm wrong. The denial is always so strong here. It was the same thing with Greening and Smith etc. Shocking to see how people cannot process what they see with their eyes.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
That's not really how it works in practice though. Hainsey performs worse with every other D man on this team who aren't Chabot and Demelo. Shots and scoring chances against get worse when he's with any other Dman. Similarly, Brannstrom performs better away from Hainsey.

A good barometer is Zaitsev who is similarly terrible and one of the worst players in the league. Zaitsev when paired with one of the other worst Dmen in the NHL, Mark Borowiecki gets 40% SCF. With Hainsey its an abysmal 25%. Hainsey-Zaitsev is literally the worst pairing by Corsi and 3rd worst by SCF% in the entire NHL by D pairings who've played over 30 minutes together, so that should paint an good picture of where those guys are at.

This is mostly explained by Hainsey's partner's minutes being some of the most difficult on the team. He's rarely involved in the play and coasts back on D (mostly due to him being so slow, as you went ahead and misinformed about) and is most often found badly out of position. His partner's have to do most of the work while he waits for a pass he can fail to use to exit the zone.

Hopefully, he'll be out of the organization soon.

Can’t say that many people agree with your opinion. Seems a little too salty to be factual.

You make it sound like he is worse than Boro. ;)

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Hainsey is paid/overpaid to come to a crappy team and take the brunt of the on ice / office abuse that this team is facing. It has worked. No one is blaming Chabot or Brady for crappy play. For the most part the kids are insulated by Hainsey, C Brown, Ennis etc.

Last edited:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Hainsey is paid/overpaid to come to a crappy team and take the brunt of the on ice / office abuse that this team is facing. It has worked. No one is blaming Chabot or Brady for crappy play. For the most part the kids are insulated by Hainsey, C Brown, Ennis etc.
Or we couldn't find any better FA defenseman who wanted to come here (especially for this salary), and Hainsey couldn't find any other team who would sign him for this much (or sign him at all). Oduya II.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->