Sportsnet: Ron Hainsey signed confirmed

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Or we couldn't find any better FA defenseman who wanted to come here (especially for this salary), and Hainsey couldn't find any other team who would sign him for this much (or sign him at all). Oduya II.

Absolutely. $4 is an above average salary/cap hit for a guy on his last legs.

Reactions: DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Hainsey is paid/overpaid to come to a crappy team and take the brunt of the on ice / office abuse that this team is facing. It has worked. No one is blaming Chabot or Brady for crappy play. For the most part the kids are insulated by Hainsey, C Brown, Ennis etc.

Which was the intent was it not?

Reactions: Sweatred

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Can’t say that many people agree with your opinion. Seems a little too salty to be factual.

You make it sound like he is worse than Boro. ;)

What? Sounded pretty accurate to me. He's too slow to get to pucks first. He's even too slow to get to pucks second and lay a hit.

He's too slow to join the rush so he just stays back out of the play so we're essentially short handed around the actual play.

He doesn't even use his size to clear bodies in front of the net. I'm not sure what he does. Hes not good defensively. He's not good offensively. He's not physical...

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What? Sounded pretty accurate to me. He's too slow to get to pucks first. He's even too slow to get to pucks second and lay a hit.

He's too slow to join the rush so he just stays back out of the play so we're essentially short handed around the actual play.

He doesn't even use his size to clear bodies in front of the net. I'm not sure what he does. Hes not good defensively. He's not good offensively. He's not physical...

He is good at protecting the kids and the tank at the same time. Here we are complaining about an irrelevant piece (He is well paid to shoulder this) for our future and not the short comings of Chabot or whoever.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He is good at protecting the kids and the tank at the same time. Here we are complaining about an irrelevant piece (He is well paid to shoulder this) for our future and not the short comings of Chabot or whoever.

No I get that. I'm arguing against the people that seem to only say a bunch of good things about him when asked how he's doing.

He's doing good for the tank and to take the beating for the kids.

But he's doing bad at hockey. He looks outclassed in almost every fashion.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
No I get that. I'm arguing against the people that seem to only say a bunch of good things about him when asked how he's doing.

He's doing good for the tank and to take the beating for the kids.

But he's doing bad at hockey. He looks outclassed in almost every fashion.

I hope that when I get too old to do my job properly, that I am still employable at more than the average salary for my profession to be the fall guy for whatever company is footing the bill.

Ron Hainsey is nothing short of an inspiration, I tell ya.

Reactions: gab6511 and Cosmix

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hainsey had a bad game yesterday and was the goat on the winning goal - no question about any of that. Having said that, he has done the job that we had hoped he would in sheltering some of the kids, providing some veteran leadership, and helping us reach the floor. In the summer there was legitimate concern that we might not reach the floor, so Hainsey hit the lottery with his contract. We knew all along that some veteran out there was probably going to get lucky on a one year deal in Ottawa, and his relationship with DJ Smith made him the winner.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
When matched against expectations, I would say that Hainsey is exactly what was expected. Below average defence man who could teach young players how to be a pro.

Reactions: aragorn

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
When matched against expectations, I would say that Hainsey is exactly what was expected. Below average defence man who could teach young players how to be a pro.

Yep.

Hainsey will be gone in 2-4 months (depending on if there's a market for him at the deadline or not), and will have done the job we asked him to do - be a veteran and do veteran player/coach-y things for guys like Brannstrom and Chabot.

I'm fine with it. That's what this season is supposed to be, after all.

Reactions: Sen sational

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Yep.

Hainsey will be gone in 2-4 months (depending on if there's a market for him at the deadline or not), and will have done the job we asked him to do - be a veteran and do veteran player/coach-y things for guys like Brannstrom and Chabot.

I'm fine with it. That's what this season is supposed to be, after all.
If there's a team willing to part with assets to get Hainsey at the deadline, that team should be our trade partner for life.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'm all for Hainsey being cannon fodder but it doesn't seem like he's doing a great job in the mentor role. Ask Brannstrom about that. Poor kid had to compensate for Hainsey so badly that he's already out of sorts in the AHL as noted by Mann.

Maybe he's doing things things off the ice that are helping but you can tell how hard it is to play with the guy since he can't cover much ice.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He will be gone soon, and guys who have been working on their game will be here. I can live with that because winning isn't terribly important this year

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Saturday's game was so bad for Hainsey that I went from being annoyed to just plain feeling sorry for him as he got caught out there for all the goals.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Saturday's game was so bad for Hainsey that I went from being annoyed to just plain feeling sorry for him as he got caught out there for all the goals.

Sometimes I watch his play and can't help thinking "he let that guy walk around him" #supportthetank #DJwantshimtosupportthetank . The conspiracy theorist also thinks the same about some of Ennis' penalties ….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad