Sportsnet: Ron Hainsey signed confirmed

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Realistically Boro Hainsey and Demelo all get traded then the young guys come up.

Cant see Jaros not playing, the right side is abysmal.

All three Should be available at the TDL ................ and that so highly coveted 3rd round draft pick could be recovered, and the entire collapse and obliteration of the franchise could be averted ............whew!

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This team definitely isn’t afraid of its super slow old Dmen - Oduya, Pahneuf, Jason Smith - sign them up

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yup, as mentioned I like it as well. And you’re right, I thought as well that injures will at some point play a role in guys getting games, especially with Boro’s wear and tear. Who I want out of the lineup and fast. Not to be forgotten are the potential of trades as well. Boro, Hainsey, DeMelo are all UFA’s in 2020.

With that being said, I think it’s absurd, and hate the idea that Jaros should/will be made to sit now just due to numbers when he’s already earned his spot on the team. Same with Wolanin in my mind, though a different player entirely, who showed different things than in fewer games. Unless they stink up the joint which I doubt either/both will they should be on the team with regular playing time.

If the kids can't beat a 38-year-old on his last contract....I dunno. They should look at this as an opportunity to establish themselves...now or never, boys!

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Imagine stockpiling picks instead of swapping them back and forth. I know, wild right?

We all know that every single draft pick acquired through a trade, should NEVER be traded, in an attempt to improve the team today, as even one third round draft pick, that has 30% chance of ever playing in the NHL within 3 or 4 years from today, is the lynch pin that the entire Franchises' future is riding on.

No other GM in the NHL has ever traded away the future of their franchise, in the form of a third round draft pick, like PD has done. The sports pages in the two local papers are filled with articles predicting, with absolute certainty, the demise of the Ottawa Senators franchise, and the pending dispersal draft that will surely happen, IF the Senators do not recover a third round draft pick at the TDL next February.

Reactions: Crosside

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We all know that every single draft pick acquired through a trade, should NEVER be traded, in an attempt to improve the team today, as even one third round draft pick, that has 30% chance of ever playing in the NHL within 3 or 4 years from today, is the lynch pin that the entire Franchises' future is riding on.

No other GM in the NHL has ever traded away the future of their franchise, in the form of a third round draft pick, like PD has done. The sports pages in the two local papers are filled with articles predicting, with absolute certainty, the demise of the Ottawa Senators franchise, and the pending dispersal draft that will surely happen, IF the Senators do not recover a third round draft pick at the TDL next February.
You're oblivious

Either that or intentionally leaving out the fact the pick was only added for money (bonuses) not improving the return.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Good signing, will shelter the kids, and add toughness to the back end.

PD said the other day that Jaros was a bit ahead of the others, and everyone will be slotted down the line up properly and brought along slowly.

None of our kids will be thrown into 20+ minutes a night in a defensive role until they’re ready to handle it.

We’re going to lose a lot, and the vets will help take the blame and soften the blow.

This signing helps let the team bring the kids along slowly and put development as the priority, which is what we all want for the kids and team in general. In addition, like most have noted, these vets don’t look to be the guys who would lift the team up the standings either.

Reactions: OgieO

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Hainsey was the name I kept bringing up when people would question who we could bring in to eat Ceci's minutes.

Doesn't seem to make as much sense with Zaitsev in the fold, but that shouldn't take away from the fact that Hainsey is a solid vet, plays the right side and can be flipped at the deadline for a decent return (honestly wouldn't be surprised if we could snag a late 2nd from a contender). I have no issue with the salary, since it's not my money and the team has more cap space than they know what to do with.

This (and the Ennis deal) are exactly the kinds of moves rebuilding teams should be making. Keep the term down on these guys and flip them out as needed. This makes (way) more sense than the Ceci/Zaitsev swap.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Chirp leafs D. Proceed to hire D coach make him head coach. Sign their worst D man and trade for their second worse D man.

Development takes time. Zaitsev has been a bit up and down. But honestly, he was not being used properly by Toronto. Toronto's D-corps are pretty soft to be honest. I don't mind the Hainsey signing. Dude is old, but he has a cup. He has been there and done that. We need that on this team. We have players to develop and that is my only concern at the moment.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Hainsey was a bit of an nhlpa bulldog during cba negotiations. Owners didnt like it much. Hopefully he has another year in him. Getting a 2nd at the deadline for him seems a bit optimistic, i'd have figured him more the guy that gets traded for a 7th to a team looking for a poor mans depth player at the last minute.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You're oblivious

Either that or intentionally leaving out the fact the pick was only added for money (bonuses) not improving the return.

Come on Bondra....ya sure the 3rd was added because the Leafs paid the bonus. Paying that bonus changes the value of the deal. Go read a few articles in the lead up to the ROR trade last summer. I think he had either a 6 or 7 M bonus due and the potential returns reflected that. In that case, Buffalo didn't pay it and got much less.

And with bonus laden contracts becoming a bigger thing, this is going to become a bigger thing.

Unfortunately it is one more card to play for the wealthier teams

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Come on Bondra....ya sure the 3rd was added because the Leafs paid the bonus. Paying that bonus changes the value of the deal. Go read a few articles in the lead up to the ROR trade last summer. I think he had either a 6 or 7 M bonus due and the potential returns reflected that. In that case, Buffalo didn't pay it and got much less.

And with bonus laden contracts becoming a bigger thing, this is going to become a bigger thing.

Unfortunately it is one more card to play for the wealthier teams
I understand that changes the value, it's that it doesn't improve the team, it saves us money by giving assets, something no teams would want to do with draft picks.

I'm saying that the 3rd wasn't added to make us better as was being stated, it was added for money reasons. There is a huge difference between trading a 3rd for a player like we did with Stalberg, that's trading a 3rd to improve the team. The way we traded this 3rd was not to improve the team, it was to ensure we never had to pay bonuses, which is huge for a team like us as their cap hit stays the same. It helps our owner with both reaching the cap floor, and spending less money on salaries.

ROR had a 7 million dollar signing bonus, St. Louis paid it in their trade, I'm sure it played part for Buffalo. They stated the price would change depending on if he was moved before or after, and it ended up happening after, we intentionally held off on a deal to make the money cost to us much greater at the price of an asset, which is a sad reality for a team like us. It changes the value because we pay less real money, but give more assets, in this case a 3rd.

If we want to consider that money was given to Hainsey, we got Hainsey's UFA salary paid for at the price of a 3rd (I'm not saying that's what was done, just that the salary saved in the bonuses and the salary paid to Hainsey is the exact same amount.)

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I understand that, I'm saying that the 3rd wasn't added to make us better as was being stated, it was added for money reasons. There is a huge difference between trading a 3rd for a player like we did with Stalberg, that's trading a 3rd fto improve the team. The way we traded this 3rd was not to improve the team, it was to ensure we never had to pay bonuses, which is huge for a team like us as their cap hit stays the same. It helps our owner with both reaching the cap floor, and spending less money on salaries.

ROR had a 7 million dollar signing bonus, St. Louis paid it in their trade, I'm sure it played part for Buffalo. They stated the price would change depending on if he was moved before or after, and it ended up happening after, we intentionally held off on a deal to make the money cost to us much greater at the price of an asset, which is a sad reality for a team like us. It changes the value because we pay less real money, but give more assets, in this case a 3rd.

If we want to consider that money was given to Hainsey, we got Hainsey's UFA salary paid for at the price of a 3rd (I'm not saying that's what was done, just that the salary saved in the bonuses and the salary paid to Hainsey is the exact same amount.)

I do look at it as the bonus saved went to Hainsey.

Bonuses are becoming a common part of contracts. Who pays them is going to become a bigger thing and as I said....its one more boot for the haves to kick us have nots in the nuts.

Look at the structure of the Aho deal. Its going to become more and more common unless it is dealt with in the CBA. And if it isn't, who pays bonuses is going to be an every June/July discussion imo as guys get traded and teams reset every summer

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I do look at it as the bonus saved went to Hainsey.

Bonuses are becoming a common part of contracts. Who pays them is going to become a bigger thing and as I said....its one more boot for the haves to kick us have nots in the nuts.

Look at the structure of the Aho deal. Its going to become more and more common unless it is dealt with in the CBA. And if it isn't, who pays bonuses is going to be an every June/July discussion imo as guys get traded and teams reset every summer
Yeah, I have been saying how we need to get Chabot under a contract ASAP, if he doesn't sign now, his agent is going to advise him to wait for an offer sheet like the one Aho just got, where another team will pay him ~25 million in signing bonuses in the first year. I'm not sure we can afford that, especially considering Melnyk has paid a total of 10 million in signing bonuses (not counting elc's) in his 16 year tenure here. Offer sheets are now a real thing when you couple the immense amount of signing bonus money teams can add that teams like us will struggle to meet and the RFA contracts that are now a real thing thanks to the Matthews deal.

I do think it will be an every year discussion, I don't see many teams trading for guys with signing bonuses and delaying the trade days/weeks in order to save on the bonus at the expense of a 2nd/3rd as we have, coupled with cap hit to make the salary floor.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Hainsey was a bit of an nhlpa bulldog during cba negotiations. Owners didnt like it much. Hopefully he has another year in him. Getting a 2nd at the deadline for him seems a bit optimistic, i'd have figured him more the guy that gets traded for a 7th to a team looking for a poor mans depth player at the last minute.

In Toronto Hainsey was played too much and was worn out as the Leafs got to the playoffs. The Sens can watch his minutes and give him an occasional night off which should keep him fresh and boost his trade value.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
$3.5 m to Hainsey is purely to help us hit the floor. Dude must think he just won the lottery, especially when you consider that Corey Perry had to settle for less than half that. We always knew that we might have to overpay a vet to reach the floor, and here he is. I'll say this, though - everyone joked last year about Hainsey being in the Leafs top four, but he ended up being one of their better defencemen.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
$3.5 m to Hainsey is purely to help us hit the floor. Dude must think he just won the lottery, especially when you consider that Corey Perry had to settle for less than half that. We always knew that we might have to overpay a vet to reach the floor, and here he is. I'll say this, though - everyone joked last year about Hainsey being in the Leafs top four, but he ended up being one of their better defencemen.

Your last point is kinda key....Hainsey can still play...Perry not so much

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yeah, I have been saying how we need to get Chabot under a contract ASAP, if he doesn't sign now, his agent is going to advise him to wait for an offer sheet like the one Aho just got, where another team will pay him ~25 million in signing bonuses in the first year. I'm not sure we can afford that, especially considering Melnyk has paid a total of 10 million in signing bonuses (not counting elc's) in his 16 year tenure here. Offer sheets are now a real thing when you couple the immense amount of signing bonus money teams can add that teams like us will struggle to meet and the RFA contracts that are now a real thing thanks to the Matthews deal.

I do think it will be an every year discussion, I don't see many teams trading for guys with signing bonuses and delaying the trade days/weeks in order to save on the bonus at the expense of a 2nd/3rd as we have, coupled with cap hit to make the salary floor.

I am sure there are teams with space keeping an eye on this. Melnyk better be prepared to fork over a reasonably competitive contract with adequate bonus money now or Chabot is sure to be targeted imo. Ottawa is ripe to be picked apart as we move forward with this "rebuild". If the owner cannot step up to the plate or cannot afford to maybe he should not be in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->