Sportsnet: Ron Hainsey signed confirmed

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Clearly hainsey and ennis are rentals until the deadline. I’m not worried about this team placing in the bottom 5. If we don’t it will be because our young guns busted out not because of these guys I’d bet.

Reactions: NB613

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I don't mind this. Hainsey is a class act and should be an excellent mentor for the young defense until he's flipped for a pick at the trade deadline. The Leafs wanted this guy back but we were able to outbid them due to the Toronto cap crunch.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm glad they only went the one year. The term is right, but who sits out of Demelo, Hainsey, Zaitsev and Jaros?

I know injuries happen, but we're pretty loaded on the left side and now the right side. I guess this must mean Brannstrom and Lajoie back to Belleville for sure and hopefully moving on from Boro sooner than later.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
It’s a good thing we want to lose every game next year.
If our gm had a quarter of a brain people would be accusing him of tanking.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'm glad they only went the one year. The term is right, but who sits out of Demelo, Hainsey, Zaitsev and Jaros?

I know injuries happen, but we're pretty loaded on the left side and already look to be carrying Boro as an extra there. I guess this must mean Brannstrom and Lajoie back to Belleville for sure.
Hainsey is a LHD so iam hoping Boro disappears,but I fear the pick we have to give up to make this happen

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Hainsey is a LHD so iam hoping Boro disappears,but I fear the pick we have to give up to make this happen
I did not realize that. Well I guess that seals up Brannstrom and Lajoie to Belleville then.

Lajoie looks like an afterthought at this point, wouldn't be surprised to see him moved.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I did not realize that. Well I guess that seals up Brannstrom and Lajoie to Belleville then.

Lajoie looks like an afterthought at this point, wouldn't be surprised to see him moved.
I think the three young LHD will all play and Hainsey will take the tough assignments ....

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think the three young LHD will all play and Hainsey will take the tough assignments ....
I'm confused. How do we dress all 4 on any given night to play LD.

Chabot
Hainsey
Zaitsev
Demelo
Wolanin
Jaros
Boro
Brannstrom
Lajoie

Too many bodies. Lajoie imo definitely ends up in Belleville, I think he's essentially been passed on the depth chart by too many at this point and will eventually be gone one way or another. That leaves either carrying 8 D or sending another like Brannstrom down.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Chabot
Hainsey
Zaitsev
Demelo
Wolanin
Jaros
Boro
Brannstrom
Lajoie

Too many bodies. Lajoie imo definitely ends up in Belleville, I think he's essentially been passed on the depth chart by too many at this point and will eventually be gone one way or another. That leaves either carrying 8 D or sending another like Brannstrom down.
Hainsey played the right side as well as the left in Toronto quite often....So he stays in ....But yep you are right,maybe another trade as Demelo needs a contract???

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Our D is better today than it was yesterday. Our two worst D men are gone. We aren’t a cap team, and need to reach the floor, yet $3.5M for Hainsey is a travesty.

I know Melnyk and Dorion are garbage, and our new coach is a clown college dropout, but try to have a little perspective when small positive things happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Chabot
Hainsey
Zaitsev
Demelo
Wolanin
Jaros
Boro
Brannstrom
Lajoie

Chabot-DeMelo
Brannstrom-Hainsey
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Borowiecki
Jaros

Jaros probably subs in and out until later in the season. With Demelo, Hainsey and Borowiecki all UFA's next summer, some or all of those guys are likely moving at the deadline.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Hainsey played the right side as well as the left in Toronto quite often....So he stays in ....But yep you are right,maybe another trade as Demelo needs a contract???
Perhaps. Would make some sense, but it may wait until the deadline.
Chabot-DeMelo
Brannstrom-Hainsey
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Borowiecki
Jaros

Jaros probably subs in and out until later in the season. With Demelo, Hainsey and Borowiecki all UFA's next summer, some or all of those guys are likely moving at the deadline.
That seems reasonable but Id hate to see Jaros as the 8th, especially knowing the ice time Boro is typically gifted. Would rather Jaros or Brannstrom back to Belleville.

Reactions: derriko

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
3.5 million for Hainsey

So let me get this straight.. In a year where we had traded away our 1st .. we do nothing to shore up the D and Goaltending (for months) ... and finish last.

When we do have our 1st in an excellent draft year where we have a chance of drafting a franchise player.. we shore up the D and sign a bunch of goalies

Well...I don't know why you're having a hard time with this....we're always discussing this franchise doing things backward

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Perhaps. Would make some sense, but it may wait until the deadline.

That seems reasonable but Id hate to see Jaros as the 8th, especially knowing the ice time Boro is typically gifted. Would rather Jaros or Brannstrom back to Belleville.

Brannstrom is pretty important to the rebuild, for both on and off-ice reasons. I think he would have to be a trainwreck in pre-season to not be on the team.

Wolanin could end up back in Belleville, but I don't like that very much because I think Zaitsev benefits from having a mobile puck handler as a partner.

I'm not bothered by Jaros sitting. He's not really that good, and there's a decent chance we lose him to expansion anyway.

Reactions: robsenz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad