Confirmed with Link: Roman Josi signs extension - 8 years / $9.059 M per year

How much will Roman Josi’s contract be? (Per year)

• Total voters

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
How many players in Josi's situation(top tier player due for a big raise) sign their extension mid-season? (Serious, not rhetorical question because I dont know how often it happens)

Usually you have a couple of guys who sign extensions right after the season begins, and a couple more who sign them right before the trade deadline. Perhaps not guys quite of Josi's caliber, but all these guys signed pretty big extensions in-season the last two years:

Jakob Silfverberg
Eric Staal
Nate Schmidt
Patric Hörnqvist
Josh Bailey
Jonathan Marchessault
Cam Atkinson
Josh Manson

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Jacob Trouba - July 19th

Andrei Vasilevsky - July 29th

Sam Girard - July 31st

Clayton Keller - Sept 4th

Colin White as well if you count him as a major player

Trouba wasn't an extension. He was one of the bigger names available on the FA market to move relatively late (except for the very recent Gardiner deal). So really, three or four extensions, none in August ... with Keller and Jumbo Joe signing this week as rookie camps report and we near a week before main camps start.

How many players in Josi's situation(top tier player due for a big raise) sign their extension mid-season? (Serious, not rhetorical question because I dont know how often it happens)

August is pretty much dead season when it comes to signings. As mentioned earlier, even late July is pretty slow. Kane and Toews signed one of their extensions during December ... Ovie signed his 13 year deal in January ... they happen.

Deals are starting to happen again as players return from their summer vacations. I still see it as way too early for even concern, much less the panic that traffic dependent blogs fill their headlines with.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Trouba wasn't an extension. He was one of the bigger names available on the FA market to move relatively late (except for the very recent Gardiner deal). So really, three or four extensions, none in August ... with Keller and Jumbo Joe signing this week as rookie camps report and we near a week before main camps start.

August is pretty much dead season when it comes to signings. As mentioned earlier, even late July is pretty slow. Kane and Toews signed one of their extensions during December ... Ovie signed his 13 year deal in January ... they happen.

Deals are starting to happen again as players return from their summer vacations. I still see it as way too early for even concern, much less the panic that traffic dependent blogs fill their headlines with.

Trouba was an extension, he was an RFA with the Jets and they traded him to the Rangers.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Looks like the opinion is shifting from will get it done this summer to; no rush, maybe it’ll happen during camp or maybe during the year.
Somebody who follows these things tell me how this negotiation thing works. I thought it would be Preds make an offer; then in a FEW days Josi’s camp says “No Way!”, we want this. Then in a FEW days it all repeats.
It was(is) a priority for the Preds(Poile’s words; not mine.) and Josi wants to play and finish his career with the Preds(again his words). Then what’s going on?
If they have talked at all, then there must be some differences in their positions.
The only other thing I can dream up is that the deal is agreed and it’s a PR timing thing.
Help me understand better.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Looks like the opinion is shifting from will get it done this summer to; no rush, maybe it’ll happen during camp or maybe during the year.
Somebody who follows these things tell me how this negotiation thing works. I thought it would be Preds make an offer; then in a FEW days Josi’s camp says “No Way!”, we want this. Then in a FEW days it all repeats.
It was(is) a priority for the Preds(Poile’s words; not mine.) and Josi wants to play and finish his career with the Preds(again his words). Then what’s going on?
If they have talked at all, then there must be some differences in their positions.
The only other thing I can dream up is that the deal is agreed and it’s a PR timing thing.
Help me understand better.

From around mid-July until almost mid-September is pretty much the equivalent of school summer vacation for the NHL. Big signings over the heart of the summer are the exception, not the norm. Of the contracts discussed in this thread earlier about half of them were for players needing a deal in place before camps this year to play ... Gardiner, Jumbo Joe, Trouba coupled with two players entering the final year of their ELC and the Bolt's goalie ... none signing during August.

Just because it is a team priority to extend him doesn't mean there was a need to pressure him about contract details during his wedding and honeymoon. We're not even at report for camp physicals time yet. If in a month we're hearing the same rhetoric without any news of real negotiations to hammer out details, then it becomes concerning. Right now, it's still his summer break and we have about a month until the season starts.

Meanwhile players like Tkachuk, Marner, Laine, Rantanen, McAvoy, and Point all remain unsigned for 2019-20 with less than two weeks until camps start.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Let's not forget that Josi got married on/about July 20th. With pre-wedding activities, that is means he was out of the picture for any serious negotiations from about July 15th (at the latest). He couldn't sign before July 1st, and at that point getting some center under contract was the focus for the team.

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
One thing that could be causing some issues in negotiating is if Josi is looking for a lot of upfront bonus money, the Preds are already paying out some pretty large bonuses the next few years so Poile could be trying to delay some of Josi's money until those are paid. Josi probably wants to get at least some of it before a potential lockout, or at least know there will not be one before he signs something that doesn't give him money upfront.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Mid-season is not something I'm really thinking about. I don't know the numbers either on how many impending-UFAs actually do that. But it would feel a little "bleak" to me.

If it's not done before the season starts (preferably before Sept. 15th and the PA makes their call on the CBA), then I'm going to get officially "antsy" on the whole thing.

Although that said... if Josi does want to push the market - and I have total respect for any player who goes that route, it is totally their right - then I also don't think it's necessarily THAT big a deal for us. I know we don't have a lot to talk about on this forum atm and that's top priority. But end of the day, he could probably try to pull down $10M+ on the open market. And more power to him if that's his gameplan. But for all he has done here... he's not THAT good. We've seen better players. Weber, Suter, and Subban-at-his-best were better. And we bid them all adieu and didn't really bat an eye. Josi is good, but he has been a disappointment in the last couple years when the playoffs rolled around. He's not a "franchise player". I don't even know how ideal he is as a captain. It's a bit early days maybe to go there... the "tear Josi down"-seeming rationalization... but... there's definitely a limit to how much I'd pay him. $8Mx8 seems like a great deal for him to take, to me. If he's not into that, and he's free not to be, I can definitely sign up to a reluctance to really go top-shelf on paying him. That's a big big contract, and to me he's just a "very good" (like Johansen, Duchene, Forsberg, Ekholm, Arvidsson, Rinne) player... but not really a groundbreaking franchise-defining player. :dunno:

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Some Josi discussion in here. Subscribe if you haven't already but I added a snippet below.

LeBrun: What the Jake Gardiner contract means for next...

There have been contract talks throughout the summer between the Predators and Josi’s camp but still no deal. We all know by now about “Nashville dollars’’ and how the Predators have successfully handled their payroll over the past several years but this is a very special player, their captain, and it will be intriguing to see where his extension ends up. I would have to think it’ll be anywhere from $8-million a year to $9.5-million on a long-term deal.

Not sure I'm ready for this franchise's first $9.5m player to be a dman. Had always held out hope that we would finally have that offensive dynamo that would command that kind of market value.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Mid-season is not something I'm really thinking about. I don't know the numbers either on how many impending-UFAs actually do that. But it would feel a little "bleak" to me.

If it's not done before the season starts (preferably before Sept. 15th and the PA makes their call on the CBA), then I'm going to get officially "antsy" on the whole thing.

Although that said... if Josi does want to push the market - and I have total respect for any player who goes that route, it is totally their right - then I also don't think it's necessarily THAT big a deal for us. I know we don't have a lot to talk about on this forum atm and that's top priority. But end of the day, he could probably try to pull down $10M+ on the open market. And more power to him if that's his gameplan. But for all he has done here... he's not THAT good. We've seen better players. Weber, Suter, and Subban-at-his-best were better. And we bid them all adieu and didn't really bat an eye. Josi is good, but he has been a disappointment in the last couple years when the playoffs rolled around. He's not a "franchise player". I don't even know how ideal he is as a captain. It's a bit early days maybe to go there... the "tear Josi down"-seeming rationalization... but... there's definitely a limit to how much I'd pay him. $8Mx8 seems like a great deal for him to take, to me. If he's not into that, and he's free not to be, I can definitely sign up to a reluctance to really go top-shelf on paying him. That's a big big contract, and to me he's just a "very good" (like Johansen, Duchene, Forsberg, Ekholm, Arvidsson, Rinne) player... but not really a groundbreaking franchise-defining player. :dunno:
I agree with this. If josi is pushing 9.5-10 million then if I'm poile I'm looking around the league to maybe move him if the opportunity comes up. I don't know what poile could get for josi but I'm thinking a lot. I don't wanna lose josi but I also don't want to pay 9.5+ for him. He's a great offensive defenseman but very average defensivly.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I agree with this. If josi is pushing 9.5-10 million then if I'm poile I'm looking around the league to maybe move him if the opportunity comes up. I don't know what poile could get for josi but I'm thinking a lot. I don't wanna lose josi but I also don't want to pay 9.5+ for him. He's a great offensive defenseman but very average defensivly.
Preds have no one to replace Josi. It would be a large loss. That being said, Preds shouldn’t go nuts on dollars. Their reasonableness on salaries is a lesson to the league. There are other players with contracts set to expire and sooner or later somebody will have to depart. Hope it’s not Josi but who knows.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Preds have no one to replace Josi. It would be a large loss. That being said, Preds shouldn’t go nuts on dollars. Their reasonableness on salaries is a lesson to the league. There are other players with contracts set to expire and sooner or later somebody will have to depart. Hope it’s not Josi but who knows.
We're kind of putting the cart before the horse of course of course, since we don't have any reason to think he won't just sign for the standard "team leading $8M" contract. But if he did price himself out of town... the Preds would at least have $8M in cap space to go shopping for his replacement. Or they traded him for a hotshot prospect AND have $8M in cap space. They don't necessarily need to have one on hand right away.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I like Josi but any scenario that somehow leads down a similar path as the Suter scenario is a no go for me. Poile must have something in place by the deadline or he must trade him. And I imagine he could get an insane haul at the deadline for him.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If he hasnt signed by the TDL then he wants to leave
It sounds good, but... really... if the Preds are offering 8x$8M, say, and Josi looks around the league and looks at the Norris votes, and looks at his past "mega steal" contract... and decides he's worth 8x$10M as a fair value contract... it doesn't mean he "wants to leave". It just means he's not into the idea of giving us another discount and has more of a NHLPA bent in his mind than maybe we are conditioned to expect from our players.

I definitely won't fault him either way. And I would also NOT sign him for 8x$10M. But I do think it's a little more complex than "he wants to leave" if that comes up as the stumbling block. Look at the guy, he doesn't WANT to leave. But he might simply have other competing considerations that lead things down that path.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Are you worried yet? First it was a priority to sign him during the off season. Wasn’t happening. Then it was, not worried, it’ll get done by training camp. That’s tomorrow. Now we’re talking trade deadline.
Wedding and vacation not withstanding, there was(is) a problem.
I would not rule out a last minute deal announcement before tomorrow. I still hope, hope, hope it is a PR ploy to make a big splash.
But I worry that there’s a bigger problem here.
I just wanna be wrong.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Are you worried yet? First it was a priority to sign him during the off season. Wasn’t happening. Then it was, not worried, it’ll get done by training camp. That’s tomorrow. Now we’re talking trade deadline.
Wedding and vacation not withstanding, there was(is) a problem.
I would not rule out a last minute deal announcement before tomorrow. I still hope, hope, hope it is a PR ploy to make a big splash.
But I worry that there’s a bigger problem here.
I just wanna be wrong.
Yeah, I said Sept. 15 before I get "worried". I'm worried that I'm getting close to being worried now. :)

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Vegas has done fairly well without a Josi level defenseman, hell, they barely have an Ellis level defenseman.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I'm jumping into this conversation a little late but I completely agree with every saying he isn't worth more than the 8M. I can appreciate his talents skating the puck out of the D-zone and into the O-zone but that is NOT what wins games as a Dman. He doesn't finish well enough on offense to make up for all the times he is caught out of position or gets stuck wandering around below the goal line. If he can rein in his "look at what I can do" or "I have to do it all" mentality maybe he'll be a better player and command more money and maybe the added depth at forward helps with that but it remains to be seen.

Look, with Pekka getting older and Saros still unproven this wide open who give a f*** about actually playing defense mindset won't continue to work. And if Poile throws all his eggs in the Josi basket this team won't go far in the playoffs.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Vegas has done fairly well without a Josi level defenseman, hell, they barely have an Ellis level defenseman.
Good point. They also don’t have an Irwin level Dman. I’m sorry I said that; he gives us all he has.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Generally I try not to get into the " we gotta trade him" stuff, but the fact is Poile has three possible FA's coming up in Smith, Granlund and Josi. He can not hit the trade dead line with all of them unsigned and get zero for them should they walk away. Granted that's a ton of cap room to play with, but it would still be horrible asset management, especially considering you lost Fiala in the process with Granlund.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad