Confirmed with Link: Roman Josi signs extension - 8 years / $9.059 M per year

How much will Roman Josi’s contract be? (Per year)

• Total voters

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Semantics yes, actual transaction, no. It was a risk dumping Subban before we could even talk to Duchene. So yes, Subban was a trade coming and going, Duchene was a free agent signing.
i think poile got word before the subban trade that duchene was as close to 100% to nashville as a free agent can get. then he signs for 8 million a year? people were talking about possibly 10 million per year or more..

i get your point but i really think poile knew it was a done deal. same with josi. it's just a matter of time but i don't think 8 million gets it done. josi has been playing on the best contract in the league for years now.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
From Vingan's mailbag this week regarding Josi:

"Anyway, there’s currently no need for concern regarding Josi’s contract extension. Negotiations were paused last month as Josi got married and went on his honeymoon. Neither side seems worried about it getting done. Josi will be re-signed, and it’s expected that his next contract will make him one of the highest-paid defensemen in the league when it takes effect next year.

For what it’s worth, far fewer players eligible for contract extensions one year out from free agency have re-signed this summer compared to last summer, likely a product of the cap being lower than anticipated.By this time last year, several high-profile players had done so; Oliver Ekman-Larsson (July 1), Logan Couture (July 1), Ryan McDonagh (July 1), Niklas Hjalmarsson (July 1), Drew Doughty (July 1), Nikita Kucherov (July 10), Adam Henrique (July 16), John Gibson (Aug. 4) and Ryan Ellis (Aug. 14) headline the list. This offseason, the only notable players who signed extensions were Andrei Vasilevskiy (July 29) and Samuel Girard (July 31)."

Didn't realize that there had been so few year out free agents signed this year. Hopefully highest paid defensemen means Top 10 and not Top 3 though.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
So that sounds like north of 9 million.....

Depends what he means by top paid I guess. It's also questionable to me how much Vingan actually knows about contract specifics versus this being him spitballing. He's the most insider reporter we've got I suppose, but I don't think he really knows that much about what the front office's plans are.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Depends what he means by top paid I guess. It's also questionable to me how much Vingan actually knows about contract specifics versus this being him spitballing. He's the most insider reporter we've got I suppose, but I don't think he really knows that much about what the front office's plans are.

Yeah the Preds really lack a top-tier A-grade insider like Russo in Minnesota, Staple for NYI, or Rutherford in St. Louis. Vingan is passable but more of a B-tier.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Tennessean article kinda sounded like Josi is not as anxious to sign something as we are for him to sign.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I think giving someone 9+ till they are 38 will be a big mistake in my opinion

Well, the other option is letting him walk away after next year. Which would be stupid. So you suck it up and do what you have to do and hope at least 5 of those 8 years he is still worth the money

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Well, the other option is letting him walk away after next year. Which would be stupid. So you suck it up and do what you have to do and hope at least 5 of those 8 years he is still worth the money

Or maybe just maybe trade him, rumor has it his new wife wants to move to New York. Beat him/her to the punch and get something for him.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Or maybe just maybe trade him, rumor has it his new wife wants to move to New York. Beat him/her to the punch and get something for him.

If that was the case Poile would have traded Josi and kept Subban. I'll ask what Predandead asked... what is the source of this "rumor"? You dont have to be specific just clarify if you heard it directly from someone who knows her or him, or third or 4th hand gossip, or if this is just from some rumor website.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Tick tock. One week until camp.
I'd like to believe they are gonna announce a new deal a day or two before camp to add to the buzz. But if camp starts and there is no news... it will begin to be a distraction

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Other than Jumbo Joe signing, what major players signed since about July 15th?

How many players in Josi's situation(top tier player due for a big raise) sign their extension mid-season? (Serious, not rhetorical question because I dont know how often it happens)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad