Confirmed with Link: Roman Josi signs extension - 8 years / $9.059 M per year

How much will Roman Josi’s contract be? (Per year)

• Total voters

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
8 x 8.0... no fuss no muss no bells or whistles.

Poile obviously has his guys onboard. Now, that's not to say that Josi wouldn't get a lot more as a UFA or that he doesn't deserve more, particularly after the bargain his last contract represented. There'd be nothing wrong with him getting $9M or $10M. But I will stand pat on 8x8 as a prediction.

Reactions: ViktorBaeArvidsson

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Poile will make him the highest paid player on the Preds and he should be. I’d say $8.5-9.0 for 7 or 8.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I voted 7-7.9 because I thought I clicked on 8-8.9 but who knows, if any team is gonna re-sign its best defenseman to yet another steal of a contract its probably us

Reactions: bdub24

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Eight years for a tad over eight per year to make him the highest paid player and similar clause what Duchene got. Throwing out numbers....8x8.25 with a 12 team no trade clause for last four years (age 34-38).

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Who is the best Josi comparable? He has ok defense and above average offense, basically right on 0.68-0.7 ppg and 5.5 s% each of the past 3 seasons. To be honest his consistency over the past 3 seasons is quite amazing. Precisely 5.5% shooting each of the past 3 seasons.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Who is the best Josi comparable? He has ok defense and above average offense, basically right on 0.68-0.7 ppg and 5.5 s% each of the past 3 seasons. To be honest his consistency over the past 3 seasons is quite amazing. Precisely 5.5% shooting each of the past 3 seasons.
They aren't stylistically the exact same, but they do have a similar role/niche/responsibility on their teams... and I could see comparability from the contract perspective - Oliver Ekman-Larsson. He's a bit younger and maybe tips more to defense than offense, but the new 8-year deal he's embarking on is pretty close to where Josi should slot in. Both captains too.
:dunno:

Predarat

Aug 16, 2005
I think he could catch 10 or more but will end up with 9-10 with some perks for him the closer to 9 it gets.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Now I’m getting a little concerned about the Josi extension. It was called a priority of the summer by the Preds. We’ve had the draft, the PK deal, the Duchene signing, the Josi wedding, the Sissons extension and the Grimaldi arbitration; no Josi extension. The Preds must have been in some sort of continuing discussion with the Josi team all summer. There probably is something holding it up. What is it? Money? Term? No movement? Combination of those?
I vote for No Movement; a Poile no-no.

Reactions: PredsV82

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Now I’m getting a little concerned about the Josi extension. It was called a priority of the summer by the Preds. We’ve had the draft, the PK deal, the Duchene signing, the Josi wedding, the Sissons extension and the Grimaldi arbitration; no Josi extension. The Preds must have been in some sort of continuing discussion with the Josi team all summer. There probably is something holding it up. What is it? Money? Term? No movement? Combination of those?
I vote for No Movement; a Poile no-no.

Probably a bit early to be concerned. If they hit camp without a deal that's when some concern would be justified. Ellis didn't sign his extension until August 14th last offseason. I imagine the front office likes to get all its signings done for the upcoming season then focus on extensions for players already under contract. It's still only been less than a week since the Grimaldi hearing.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I do think the fact that we are here and still no contract should dispel any thoughts that this will be a slam dunk, team-friendly deal. Josi has been massively underpaid for at least 4 years and will play this upcoming season for at least 5 million less than his market value.

Hes not going to take less than 9, I expect.

Reactions: TopCheese

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Josi hasn't been heads and shoulders better than Subban during the Subban years, and I wouldn't even say that he had been better at all collectively.
Josi is the best D we have but also isn't the cream of the crop there is regarding D-men of today.

The point I'm making is that if you really wanted Subban gone for his deal, why are you going the extra length to pay a different part of the core more (despite the cap rising) when the output was and is very similar to Subban?

I guess the answer is mostly loyalty and the fact that he's home grown.

Last edited:
Reactions: NNCbama

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Josi hasn't been heads and shoulders better than Subban during the Subban years, and I wouldn't even say that he had been better at all collectively.
Josi is the best D we have but also isn't the cream of the crop there is regarding D-men of today.

The point I'm making is that if you really wanted Subban gone for his deal, why are you going the extra length to pay a different part of the core more (despite the cap rising) when the output was and is very similar to Subban?

I guess the answer is mostly loyalty and the fact that he's home grown.

I think most folks would disagree with your assessment.

But that notwithstanding, even if you had thought trading Josi and keeping Subban was the right move, it still wouldnt have made enough cap space for Duchene.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I think most folks would disagree with your assessment.

But that notwithstanding, even if you had thought trading Josi and keeping Subban was the right move, it still wouldnt have made enough cap space for Duchene.
I still don't see why were automatically thinking that there aren't any pieces other than Subban Duchene and Josi.

We have Bonino, Turris, Ellis all as pieces that could have been moved, without moving Subban. That's where the problem lies and that's the hill I die on way faster than the one that Subban is paid too much.

Reactions: NNCbama

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I still don't see why were automatically thinking that there aren't any pieces other than Subban Duchene and Josi.

We have Bonino, Turris, Ellis all as pieces that could have been moved, without moving Subban. That's where the problem lies and that's the hill I die on way faster than the one that Subban is paid too much.

It's not even that Subban was paid "too much" Bonino by himself wouldnt have cleared space for Duchene, and Turris and Ellis would have been traded at minimum value because of the seasons they had.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
It's not even that Subban was paid "too much" Bonino by himself wouldnt have cleared space for Duchene, and Turris and Ellis would have been traded at minimum value because of the seasons they had.
Subban was also traded at his lowest value. See where I'm going with this?
There was an alternate option. Poile didn't want to use it for no reason imo.
The impact a Bonino and Turris would have doesn't make us advance compared to how Subban could take over games in the playoffs.

Now to keep Josi is the main thing on his plate and I hope he doesn't make him too costly for the greater good of the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->