Confirmed with Link: Roman Josi signs extension - 8 years / $9.059 M per year

How much will Roman Josi’s contract be? (Per year)

• Total voters

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
You cant dislike Josi, but I have a hard time believe he'll be a dominant defenseman for the next decade, or even the next 5 years. So many of these "offense defenseman" mega deals look bad right now.

He's been on an amazing contract, but paying him 10m/yr feels golden parachute esque.

I personally would take Ekholm over Josi the next 5 years, as our go-to dman.

I'd be curious what he could get back in a trade. I haven't looked at 2020 free agents, I know Pietrangelo is one. The cost of paying Josi that money (I don't care about the actual money), is what the opportunity cost is. We also have the expansion draft to consider.

That being said, I expect Poile to eventually cave to Josi demands. He's loyal to fault when it comes to long standing homegrown guys.

The huge risk Josi is taking is health. If he has a serious injury, he's out millions, if not 10s of millions (depending on the injury).

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I got Josi at a simple 9 mil. But the Preds should get a metric tonne of $100s and start shoveling them into his bank account like a coalman shovels coal into the boiler of a steam engine.
So a $100 bill weighs 0.8 grams. A metric tonne is 1,000 kg or 1,000,000 grams. This says you are paying him $125M. At the max term of 8 years, that is a $15.625M cap hit. It's too much for Josi. I let him walk at those numbers.
:sarcasm:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
So a $100 bill weighs 0.8 grams. A metric tonne is 1,000 kg or 1,000,000 grams. This says you are paying him $125M. At the max term of 8 years, that is a $15.625M cap hit. It's too much for Josi. I let him walk at those numbers.
:sarcasm:

Nerrrrrrrddd :laugh:

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
So Ellis and josi are tied for the point lead with 13 points in a 11 games. Ellis just signed a 6.25 million dollar a year contract sooo logically josi should sign for 7 max lmao

Reactions: PredsV82

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
You lose other pieces if you give him that money. It's not just one contract in a vacuum.
Then lose other pieces, Josi is the captain and our best defenseman. Pay the man his money idc if what, we lose Smith to free agency and end up having to lose Turris and Granlund, we have forward prospects in Tolvanen, Tomasino, Afanasyev, etc coming up, boggles my mind that some people would rather lose our best defense-man and CAPTAIN because of a million dollar difference.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Then lose other pieces, Josi is the captain and our best defenseman. Pay the man his money idc if what, we lose Smith to free agency and end up having to lose Turris and Granlund, we have forward prospects in Tolvanen, Tomasino, Afanasyev, etc coming up, boggles my mind that some people would rather lose our best defense-man and CAPTAIN because of a million dollar difference.
Except I'd argue he isn't our best, but hey most people wouldn't agree with me so whatever.

But yeah let's gut our forwards for some kids that aren't even playing well in the AHL, or haven't even played against grown men yet, smart.

Reactions: JGeorge54

mosare

Dec 19, 2013
Except I'd argue he isn't our best, but hey most people wouldn't agree with me so whatever.

But yeah let's gut our forwards for some kids that aren't even playing well in the AHL, or haven't even played against grown men yet, smart.

I mean he is the best by far and currently also one of the top5 in the league!

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
People always used to say he isn't the #1 when in fact, he is for years now and respected by the whole league.

He was only good because of Weber, then because of Suter.
Now because of ...Ellis?!

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Josi, Ekholm, and Ellis are all exceptional defenders. Josi is the better of those three when it comes to leading a rush and demonstrating offensive instincts. Ekholm might be the better back in his own zone. Ellis has his strengths in the offensive zone but not so much of a leader on the rush.

Then there is Fabbro developing and holding his own on the second pairing already.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
People worrying that he'll slow down as he gets older don't get it. Guys with good wheels don't slow down. Guys with average wheels do. See Marleau and Niedermayer as examples then Subban and Weber as examples. Ellis is an exception as he put in the work and doesn't have a big frame to carry around. Heck, even Duncan Keith is moving pretty well into his upper 30's. Brent Seabrook not so much.

Reactions: predfan24

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Honestly he is well worth the $10.5M. We shouldn't feel bad about a little overpayment to keep him here considering the steal of a contract we've had for years now.
I won't feel bad if Poile "caves" and gives him $10.5M some time in June 2020. Meanwhile, I'm definitely in favor of Poile continuing to try to push it as low as possible and not signing him at that number in the meantime.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I won't feel bad if Poile "caves" and gives him $10.5M some time in June 2020. Meanwhile, I'm definitely in favor of Poile continuing to try to push it as low as possible and not signing him at that number in the meantime.

Problem is if it goes to June then he can talk to other teams and someone may offer him stupid money out of desperation. I dont want this hanging over the season. Unless they are a long way apart Poile needs to just get it done..

Reactions: Pred303

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Please don’t misinterpret my opinion. I believe that Josi is one of the top defense men in the league, drives the Preds offense and is a personal favorite of mine. I just happen to believe that Poile can’t afford paying him $10M plus. It could be too damaging to the contracts of the near future. I reiterate that Poile is in a very tough situation on this deal. He ought to look into options if it is falling apart. I hope it isn’t.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad