Confirmed with Link: Roman Josi signs extension - 8 years / $9.059 M per year

How much will Roman Josi’s contract be? (Per year)

• Total voters

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I personally am beginning to believe that Josi’s demeanor is showing he’s upset about this contract thing. A fight of all things against Vegas and then a loss of his cool last night. He was furious with the official. Now that’s all non- Josi like. Is it the losses or pre-occupation with that negotiation. He looked close to losing it last night.

Reactions: Marty Party

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Damn. Now they claim Josi wants to be the third highest paid Dman in the league behind Karlsson and Doughty.

That number is 8 digits and starts with 1, not 9.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Damn. Now they claim Josi wants to be the third highest paid Dman in the league behind Karlsson and Doughty.

That number is 8 digits and starts with 1, not 9.
Vingan reported this same thing a few weeks ago during camp I believe. Not really anything new as 3rd highest just has to beat PK at $9mil.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If he wants 10 you either use him for the year and basically look at it as a rental or you trade him for what you can get.

There is no way in hell I'm paying him anywhere close to 10 unless, unless he is willing to take a 3 year deal. 10 x 8, oh heck no.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
$10M might be manageable with a rising cap and a bunch of talented kids on ELC's coming in to replace some more expensive veteran depth.

Plus I'd say the final contract is closer to $9M I wonder if it's not going something like this...

Poile offers $8-8.5

Josi counters $9.5-10

Poile is actually okay with that but says "go prove you're worth it on the ice" and that's why nothing has been signed yet while Josi is off to a great start. Maybe a deal gets done around the new year or ASG.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
$10M might be manageable with a rising cap and a bunch of talented kids on ELC's coming in to replace some more expensive veteran depth.

Plus I'd say the final contract is closer to $9M I wonder if it's not going something like this...

Poile offers $8-8.5

Josi counters $9.5-10

Poile is actually okay with that but says "go prove you're worth it on the ice" and that's why nothing has been signed yet while Josi is off to a great start. Maybe a deal gets done around the new year or ASG.
It should be clear by now that all possible numbers and terms have been offered up with no agreement. So I think the great start by Josi is an audition for other teams. I no longer think the “I want to be in Nashville” is valid. It has become”I want to be where the highest bidder plays”.
I am disappointed in this negotiation. It is agent driven in my opinion. Josi now has stars in his eyes.
Poile has a big problem; keep Josi as an integral part of a potential Cup team or bail out now for another star player. Tough times.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I always think it's funny when people try to read things like they have it a clue as to what's going on.
While they may not have a clue, there are times they are right. I mean it's not like we haven't been down this exact same path before, heard the exact same things, and saw what that outcome was. We had people saying the exact same thing being said then " oh you don't know ", but yet they still weren't wrong at the end of the day.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
While they may not have a clue, there are times they are right. I mean it's not like we haven't been down this exact same path before, heard the exact same things, and saw what that outcome was. We had people saying the exact same thing being said then " oh you don't know ", but yet they still weren't wrong at the end of the day.

Then there is Pekka with a November signing date for his current deal. Ekholm with a late October signing date. Yes, there was Suter but there are counters to his situation as well.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Then there is Pekka with a November signing date for his current deal. Ekholm with a late October signing date. Yes, there was Suter but there are counters to his situation as well.
Ekholm was a RFA, and with Pekka there was never a " he wants this kind of money " type thing floating around out there. Josi's situation is far closer to what we saw with Suter than any other example you've tossed out.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Ekholm was a RFA, and with Pekka there was never a " he wants this kind of money " type thing floating around out there. Josi's situation is far closer to what we saw with Suter than any other example you've tossed out.

It's impossible to tell since everything in this thread is based on rumor, innuendo, and speculation at this point. It might be Suter 2.0 or it might be a remake of Pekka's seven year deal of years gone by (also a November signing) that made him one of the highest paid goalies at the time.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
LeBrun: What’s a fair deal for Roman Josi and Alex...

most of the agents and executives interviewed here seem to think that Josi will get a bigger contract than Pietrangelo, in the 9.5-10 million range.

Interesting quote from the article;

In any case, the fact that both of these very talented blueliners turn 30 over the next year is not to be overlooked. As we saw over the past year, more and more money is being shifted to younger RFAs to buy up their prime years. At some point, that must affect the older UFAs, although I don’t think it will end up impacting things too dramatically with Josi and Pietrangelo.

“With all these kids getting top dollar, now the UFAs will take the hit,’’ another front office executive said. “There is only so much money in the system. I’d prefer to overpay a player in his 20s for what he can do than one in his 30s for what he has done. That doesn’t mean these two players you’re talking about won’t get paid but at some point, UFA-age players are going to take the hit.’’

And another point to consider from the same team exec, challenging that the long-held belief of how hard it is to replace one of these core pending UFAs if they walk.

“You have to remember that you’re not necessarily replacing the player that they have been the last six years but a player who is likely on the decline,’’ he said. “Baseball has figured that out.’’

True, but in the case of Poile and the Predators, there is no tomorrow, it’s about winning that elusive first Stanley Cup over the next few years. All of which is why Josi has so much leverage in this situation. If the Preds want Josi signed long term, it’s going to have to be north of $9-million a year plus, I’m guessing, a deal which has signing bonus money and no-trade protection, items the Preds don’t traditionally hand out (although they did to land UFA Matt Duchene, who got $28 million in signing bonus money and a modified NTC in the last three years of his deal).

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Josi is not worth his ask but if that's what will keep him here, we have to do it. I would f***ing hate paying him 10 mill though for a long time if Poile falters.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Maybe the effect of near 30 core UFAs will be that GMs decide to give them the $$$ they are asking for, but hold back some on the years.

For example, Josi gets his 9.5 to 10, but the deal is only 4-5 years.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I got Josi at a simple 9 mil. But the Preds should get a metric tonne of $100s and start shoveling them into his bank account like a coalman shovels coal into the boiler of a steam engine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad