Confirmed with Link: Roman Josi signs extension - 8 years / $9.059 M per year

How much will Roman Josi’s contract be? (Per year)

• Total voters

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Agreed.

Also

If RFA Trouba is worth $8M annually, and UFA Karlsson is worth $11.5M annually, then surely UFA Josi is worth $9.3m annually.
Without a doubt.

And despite any fears of concussions, outside of his first season in games played:
48 (full season, lockout-shortened)
11 (current, all games played)

Averages missing less than 5 games a season. Guy is very durable.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I don't think the captaincy thing is any real issue as I'm of the opinion that in the NHL the importance of the captain is way overrated more of a media position than a locker room position. I just moved away from St. Louis after living their for several years and I always heard a ton of similar talk about Pietrangelo not being a strong enough captain and they won the Cup with him. Rangers and Knights both made the finals without a captain at all in recent history too.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
4+4 and just deal with losing a good forward. I'm not a fan of paying to protect players, not after Vegas bent over the league last week.

Plus we have a bunch of talented kids to move up.

Might actually end up being beneficial for our cap situation because you could end up shedding the cap hit of someone like Granlund, Smith, or Turris just in time for us to need to re-sign Forsberg and Ekholm.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think the captaincy thing is any real issue as I'm of the opinion that in the NHL the importance of the captain is way overrated more of a media position than a locker room position. I just moved away from St. Louis after living their for several years and I always heard a ton of similar talk about Pietrangelo not being a strong enough captain and they won the Cup with him. Rangers and Knights both made the finals without a captain at all in recent history too.
That's my general take too... except... I'm also generally inclined to feel like the Preds are lacking a little leadership, somehow, somewhere. Given the last two playoff foldups. The leadership doesn't have to be attached uniquely to the guy wearing the C. But then for every anecdote about a team without a captain winning, there are other anecdotes about the captains leading, or even rifts developing over leadership, etc. There are anecdotes for practically everything! It's impossible to really know what the future holds for us there. If we somehow end up with the next Weber or Messier or whoever, maybe he needs the C, maybe he doesn't, maybe Josi hands it to him, who knows. It's just a little backburner issue that maybe Josi isn't quite the Avatar of Captaincy, which may indeed not matter. We have 4 guys alternating wearing A's, beyond the usual quota. There are lots of letters to go around. Whether they mean anything or not.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Granlund's next contract thread...Go!
Eh, 2yrs x $5M? At the moment...

He's playing pretty well. Despite not really producing as well as hoped. But I'm not really sold yet on locking him up long-term. I was thinking/hoping he'd match his peak Minny production years and be worth 6x$7Mish. But I'm not seeing that now.
:dunno:

One thing's for sure... whoever they sign next doesn't get any form of NMC covering the expansion year...

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Whew! Done. I’m guessing, of course, but looks like Josi gave up a little money for no trade clause. Poile got his man at a little less than market while giving up the NMC, which he hates.
The up front bonuses put some big pressure on cash flow; wonder where that reported $33M is coming from?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
90 - His number on the Swiss national team
59 - His number on the Preds

9.059 - a combined ton of money per year.

Oh, and in October at a less than mentioned in some of the rumors contained in this thread. Now for the next hand wringing irrational worry.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
90 - His number on the Swiss national team
59 - His number on the Preds

9.059 - a combined ton of money per year.

Oh, and in October at a less than mentioned in some of the rumors contained in this thread. Now for the next hand wringing irrational worry.

Worry for what?

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
This is a good deal. Our window is now open through at least 21-22 which is when Forsbergs deal expires. No major players coming off the books before then except Rinne, and I would fully expect him to sign at least another 1 year deal before he hangs them up. Smith and Granlund can spend this year fighting to see who gets offered an extension.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Full breakdown reported... the loading isn't as extreme as maybe I expected... nice bonus money for sure...

Capture.JPG

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
That cap number makes it seem like negotiations were friendly and probably didn't really start until recently, given Josi's wedding this summer.

Also shows just how misinformed the "insiders" are, didn't someone tweet last week that things weren't going well and the two sides were far apart? I think an Athletic article said Josi would get $10.5 and closer to $11 if he took it to UFA. That's how news works these days, you have to be better at generating constant content than you are at actually having accurate information to report.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Worry for what?

This thread alone had people expressing worries that the Josi situation was literally Suter 2.0 and that no matter what was said, he was just stringing the team along and leaving. Or that the team and Josi were nowhere near each other ... that Josi was holding out to be in the top 3 paid d-men at $10.5mil or more ... it's just the nature of this place now.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
That cap number makes it seem like negotiations were friendly and probably didn't really start until recently, given Josi's wedding this summer.

Also shows just how misinformed the "insiders" are, didn't someone tweet last week that things weren't going well and the two sides were far apart? I think an Athletic article said Josi would get $10.5 and closer to $11 if he took it to UFA. That's how news works these days, you have to be better at generating constant content than you are at actually having accurate information to report.

Every insider I saw consistently said that Josi wanted a number that starts with a 9 and to be the third highest paid defender with trade protection and signing bonuses. That's exactly what happened so I don't see the gripe. The Athletic article I think your mentioning talked to executives in the NHL who mostly said they expected that Josi would be looking at ~$10mil AAV if he hit UFA, which while we'll never know for sure is likely true. There's a lot of crappy twitter "insiders", but I will say the ones the Athletic has on staff are generally pretty close.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Despite the main board comments, I'm a lot less worried about Josi's game as he ages than I was for Weber/Subban. Excellent skater, strong stickhandler, and high hockey IQ...if any skill set might allow him to continue being an effective player into his late 30s it would be those (e.g. Lidstrom, Niedermayer...yes I know they are Hall of Famers!). Granted, Suter has significantly begun to slow down at only 34 and his game was also never overly predicated on physical play, though Josi's a more dynamic athlete than Suter ever seemed to be.

Reactions: Scoresberg

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Yes!!!!

I was all excited for nfl trade deadline today and then I get this news!

So pumped he is staying here! Way to go Poile!

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Despite the main board comments, I'm a lot less worried about Josi's game as he ages than I was for Weber/Subban. Excellent skater, strong stickhandler, and high hockey IQ...if any skill set might allow him to continue being an effective player into his late 30s it would be those (e.g. Lidstrom, Niedermayer...yes I know they are Hall of Famers!). Granted, Suter has significantly begun to slow down at only 34 and his game was also never overly predicated on physical play, though Josi's a more dynamic athlete than Suter ever seemed to be.
Only concern should be his concussion history. He's rumored to have had 6.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
What we know ... negotiations paused over the summer but are now ongoing. Josi has a new agent. The season starts in nine days.

What we don't know ... the status of the negotiations. Maybe the discussion is when to announce an agreement or maybe they are miles apart on every aspect from term, salary, movement protection, shape of negotiating table.

Both Josi and Poile are saying the right things but we aren't seeing movement. I'll get concerned in a week or so ... worried sometime around New Year's ... and join the full blown panic mode 7 minutes before the trade deadline ... if needed.

I'm so glad that I never had to progress to worried.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad