Confirmed with Link: Roman Josi signs extension - 8 years / $9.059 M per year

How much will Roman Josi’s contract be? (Per year)

• Total voters

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I'm glad he stayed but not glad that we had to give him job security until he's 37. His game isn't shaped for the latter part of the deal but I trust that this was the price if not for us, for someone else.

I don't know why you would expect skating to keep up as good as other attributes. He'll wear down.

Last edited:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
This thread alone had people expressing worries that the Josi situation was literally Suter 2.0 and that no matter what was said, he was just stringing the team along and leaving. Or that the team and Josi were nowhere near each other ... that Josi was holding out to be in the top 3 paid d-men at $10.5mil or more ... it's just the nature of this place now.

people worry. What sucks is you can do anything about it.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
people worry. What sucks is you can do anything about it.

What sucks is when people worry based on ignorance then double down when facts countering their reason for worry come to light. The hand wringing about why he didn't sign over the summer was negated by the comments by both sides that negotiations pretty much paused from before Josi's wedding until he reported back. Then it was what was taking so long when here we are a month into the season and he's signed to an eight year contract ... earlier in the season than Rinne signing his 7x7 deal that made him one of the highest paid goalies at the time.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Josi is a good skater, so he should remain effective through this deal, but is he gonna be worth 9M for the last few years? Depending how the cap keeps increasing he might very well be. And even if he isn't, I don't want to worry about it now. Looking at the ages of our core we might be re-tooling anyway by then.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I like how Roman got that extra $59,000 in there. Gotta love your jersey number lol.

Also, for those saying the deal may not look good at the end of it I have two things:

1. In 8 years l, $9 million a year will be the going rate for a second pair defenseman anyways.

2. If it gets us a cup, then who cares?! Chicago has some awful contracts but I bet they would rather have those awful contracts and the cups they win rather than have all good contracts and no cups.

Bring Stanley’s mug home to Nashville Captain Roman!

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I like how Roman got that extra $59,000 in there. Gotta love your jersey number lol.

Also, for those saying the deal may not look good at the end of it I have two things:

1. In 8 years l, $9 million a year will be the going rate for a second pair defenseman anyways.

2. If it gets us a cup, then who cares?! Chicago has some awful contracts but I bet they would rather have those awful contracts and the cups they win rather than have all good contracts and no cups.

Bring Stanley’s mug home to Nashville Captain Roman!
90 is his Swiss national team number. He got both of his recent jersey numbers in there.

Reactions: PredsV82

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Came in about where I expected when the thread started. Term doesn't really matter, odds are by then we will be rebuilding withe core pretty used up by that point. Just means you can keep the cap while the owners aren't actually paying as much.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
The extra bump in cap loses us a Watson, Sissons type player (or 2). We're not likely to be hampered by a declining $9M defenseman by years 6-8.

That's fair. I'm not as worried at losing those types of players than some may be.

At the end of the day, it's a good deal. A fair deal. One that should keep this team competitive for the next three years. Which I think is the point.

Let's hope we have a cup between now and 2025 cause if we don't, those rebuild years are gonna suck.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Unpopular opinion, but I think the rebuild starts after in three years.

With the expansion draft looming and after seeing how the Rangers were able to quickly rebuild their stable, I think that is the path forward.

If we don't win with Rinne, I think you need to start looking at moving the core.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Dollar amount = not bad ... would’ve liked below 9M but this isn’t far above

Contract length = at 9M+ I would’ve preferred 6 but I understand that probably was a nonstarter

full ntc = unexpected... I was expecting some sort of protection going into the expansion draft but the entire length of the contract is a lot. Means that Josi likes being in Nashville and feels he’s taking a discount to stay here

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I love all this. He wanted to get paid and also stay here. We wanted to keep him and knew we would have to pay him. Everyone is happy.

... And it keeps us with the best looking Captain!

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Unpopular opinion, but I think the rebuild starts after in three years.

With the expansion draft looming and after seeing how the Rangers were able to quickly rebuild their stable, I think that is the path forward.

If we don't win with Rinne, I think you need to start looking at moving the core.
After 3 years? Josi aside, we just signed Matt Duchene to an 8-year contract! Joey will only be 30, Forsberg 28, and Arvy 29.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
A rebuild should only happen if somebody upstairs screws up. Maybe Poile retires and his replacement messes the bed. (At least now it won't be Fenton! Bullet=dodged.) But I don't think you plan for a rebuild, ever... not in 3 years, not in 5, not in 10. An NHL GM has enough tools at his disposal that it's incumbent on him to keep on winning, making changes on the fly, cultivating a prospect pool, managing his payroll, just keep on truckin'.

Most teams do eventually hit the skids, however. Because they screw up their drafts or their development, or they have enough players who drop off too soon, or sign too many bad contracts. If we win a Cup and all those fat long-term contracted guys we have get complacent, it could happen to us too. Or any of a host of other things could go wrong and we land in a rebuild. But again, it's because things GO WRONG, not because it's part of any long-term plan.

The only major risk factor on my horizon right now is goaltending... Pekka can't go on forever and while Saros is as good a padawan to have on hand as it gets, until he fully shows he's ready to cut off his braid, it'll be our main question mark in the medium term. All the other stuff we nitpick over isn't really important. We can ride out a Turris contract or let Smith/Granlund walk, and losing our 9th-best player to Seattle isn't going to drastically change the team's fortunes. But not having a solid #1 goalie could become an issue. It's a lot harder to just go sign one as a UFA (Bobrovsky!) or wait 7 years for one to develop from within.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad