GDT: Rolling Preseason GDT | Game 8 | at Chicago | 9/29 8PM | NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Foligno-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand actually had very good results in the 100 or so minutes they were together last year. 60% of the shots, 70% of the goals. But if you want to keep that, and the topline, and break up Jenner-Dubinsky, you have to scramble the bottom two. The problem is that Riley Nash isn't much of a playmaker either, and neither are Duclair or Milano.

Milano-Dubinsky-Anderson
Jenner-Nash-Duclair

Still not that great. Davidsson or Stenlund might actually be helpful here.

Duclair-Dubinsky-Anderson
Jenner-Nash-Davidsson/Stenlund

Looks somewhat better to me. Dubinsky is either going to improve or be scratched, I hope. Having a guy like Stenlund at center balances the lineup much better.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I really don’t like the idea of Milano and Dubinsky together. I don’t know why, it’s just screams bad combo to me. My ideal bottom 6 is:

Jenner-Nash-Milano
Duclair-Stenlund-Anderson

And those 2 lines can be used interchangeably, and given the same amount of ice time. These lines allow Milano’s mistakes to be covered by two defensively responsible forwards, and for Stenlund to be sheltered a little bit, and surrounded by fast guys, at least at first.

Reactions: major major

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Brian Hedger‏Verified account @JacketsInsider
Torts said depth up front will allow him to have a shorter leash w/guys who already have NHL experience. "I am not going to be overly patient with guys that I’ve seen play enough and know that they need to give. If they don’t give, then I’m going to try different people.”

Well, we will see how he will keep his word.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Well, we will see how he will keep his word.

This is one area where I trust Torts. He might not know his combos but he doesn't give away ice time to unproductive players. I remember when Richards would never cut a veteran's ice time, no matter how beaten up and useless they were.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
This is one area where I trust Torts. He might not know his combos but he doesn't give away ice time to unproductive players. I remember when Richards would never cut a veteran's ice time, no matter how beaten up and useless they were.
Um... Nick Foligno. Last season. Super unproductive and ineffective, yet there he was over and over. Largely I hope he makes good choices, but this is one case where he kept feeding time to people whose play didn't deserve it.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Um... Nick Foligno. Last season. Super unproductive and ineffective, yet there he was over and over. Largely I hope he makes good choices, but this is one case where he kept feeding time to people whose play didn't deserve it.

That was a case of us having no other option at center. Nick was more effective on the wing.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
What a collective bunch of idiots so many of us posters are. We all think Dubi-Jenner-Andy is a bad combo. In fact many of us find just a Dubi-Jenner combo is toxic. Thank goodness Torts is going to show us how wrong we’ve all been.

Well, this will be year 3 of the "naysayers" being wrong.

These "descriptions" and "explanations" of why these guys aren't good together are hilarious.

It's not really about quality. It's about complementary play styles. Jenner and Dubinsky are running around bumping into each other. Jenner and Wennberg make goals happen.

Again, USAGE is completely ignored.

Somebody tell me, when Dubinsky and Jenner are on a line together, what is commonly their "#1 job" on the ice?

Hint: It isn't scoring goals.

I mean really, some of you REALLY think you know better than Torts/Jarmo/JD...

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Um... Nick Foligno. Last season. Super unproductive and ineffective, yet there he was over and over..

That was a case of us having no other option at center. Nick was more effective on the wing.

The real issue is right here.

"Unproductive" and "Ineffective"....ALL BASED ON 1 THING, POINTS.

This isn't fantasy hockey.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

These "descriptions" and "explanations" of why these guys aren't good together are hilarious.

Somebody tell me, when Dubinsky and Jenner are on a line together, what is commonly their "#1 job" on the ice?

No, do tell. Tell me what they're doing right as a duo.

Hint: It's not preventing goals against.

They're much better players when they're not together, even in the same shutdown context.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

I'm not sure about that. Granted, someone could come along with qual comp. and other stats to show I'm wrong, but at least according to Torts himself he doesn't line match. Last season, he was a HUGE proponent of simply rolling lines going with whoever was fresh and giving preference to our top-6.

Which means that (at even strength at least) the message to Dubinsky and Jenner was to go out and score.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm not sure about that. Granted, someone could come along with qual comp. and other stats to show I'm wrong, but at least according to Torts himself he doesn't line match. Last season, he was a HUGE proponent of simply rolling lines going with whoever was fresh and giving preference to our top-6.

Which means that (at even strength at least) the message to Dubinsky and Jenner was to go out and score.

Their usage as a duo was definitely on the defensive side, something like half of their zone starts were in the defensive end. But it was similar for them when they weren't together, too, and they had better results.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
The real issue is right here.

"Unproductive" and "Ineffective"....ALL BASED ON 1 THING, POINTS.

This isn't fantasy hockey.
Usage: he had his third highest average PP time of his career (2:23) and his production was not good. Someone just a few days ago reposted the stats showing the with/without of the powerplay involving Foligno, which showed the PP was awful with him (and better without him).

I'll accept the "out of position from necessity" as a part of his high number of overall minutes. I still have been one of his biggest supporters, and expect a bounce back season if given a consistent role (and, y'know, that he gets 50 points every other year). However, there little justification that Foligno kept being sent out on the PP all last year with how dreadful he was. The only forwards who averaged more PP time per game were Cam (2:45) and Panarin (2:57).

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Usage: he had his third highest average PP time of his career (2:23) and his production was not good. Someone just a few days ago reposted the stats showing the with/without of the powerplay involving Foligno, which showed the PP was awful with him (and better without him).

I'll accept the "out of position from necessity" as a part of his high number of overall minutes. I still have been one of his biggest supporters, and expect a bounce back season if given a consistent role (and, y'know, that he gets 50 points every other year). However, there little justification that Foligno kept being sent out on the PP all last year with how dreadful he was. The only forwards who averaged more PP time per game were Cam (2:45) and Panarin (2:57).

Foligno is not on the power play to get points for crying out loud.

Get with it!

Reactions: MoeBartoli

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Nutivaara doing his best Wisniewski impression.

Does the Jenner goal count because it wasn't "pretty"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille