GDT: Rolling Preseason GDT | Game 8 | at Chicago | 9/29 8PM | NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
My dislike is not irrational. What is irrational is your continued chanting of what is clearly not true. Watch how other teams play him. It is right there in front of your eyes. They play him to cut off his passing lanes and do not worry about him shooting.

Actually I think the real villian here is Jarmo. Look, Wennberg is what he is, a defense oriented center. He is a decent third line center. He is a great 4th line center. Those are positions where the player can and should think defense first. The idiot in the room is Jarmo who continues to treat Wennberg like an offensively oriented, second line center. This offseason ROR was available. We should have done everything possible to obtain him. ROR, Bjork and Anderson would make a solid second line. Then you team Wennberg up with Jenner and Foligno and you have a solid checking type of defensively oriented third line. Add Dubie, Duclare and Milano and we would have four solid lines But because of jarmo's obnoxious, stubborn refusal to admit he made a mistake, we are playing with one top line and 3 third/4th lines.

So no, I don't hate Wennberg. He is what he is, a solid defensively oriented center who is terrible at face offs and has done nothing to improve that skill. It is Jarmo whom I have grown to dislike.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Having see that video, I have to admit I want to vomit much more than I did before the video. But once again it demonstrates what a stupid arse Jarmo is.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Surely you jest.

The Toronto media is brutal on players. Ask Kessel. Ask Phaneuf. A guy like Wennberg would be easy fodder for them.

Kessel was treated unfairly, it really didn't have much to do with his play. Phaneuf is legit bad. Both guys were big dollar savior figures who failed to meet sky-high expectations.

A better comparable is Kadri, who had some down seasons a few years ago, when he was about the same as Wennberg's age. There was some negative press but I don't recall anything crazy.

You can be disappointed in Wennberg's play (I am) without exaggerating and bullshitting it into something worse. He's like Kadri was, disappointing but still useful.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
If he were playing where he should be playing, the third line, and we had a real offensively oriented second line center, i would agree with you.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If he were playing where he should be playing, the third line, and we had a real offensively oriented second line center, i would agree with you.

That would be great, but just for perspective, Wennberg's point scoring rate at 5v5 was almost exactly average for a second liner. It was similar per minute to Crosby, Johansen, Seguin, Bjorkstrand, and Jenner (how's that for an odd bunch).

Wennberg's maddening because he could be better, but he isn't terrible, even as a 2C. That's not to say we wouldn't benefit from an upgrade. The club wants to be better than average, so if they want a better than average 2C, go ahead.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Trying to make Wennberg play a different way is going to make him play worse.

We've seen him shoot. It's not pretty.

Should he be more aggressive? Yes. But should he be whipping shots towards the net like he's Panarin? No. He's a passer. He is gifted with good vision and a good brain for the game. Refusing to shoot is one thing, not looking to shoot is another. I don't think he refuses to shoot. Repeatedly whipping him to the media isn't helping either. He's been doing it since he's been here and it's not helped, and it probably really annoys Wennberg. It's one thing for us to say it, it's another for Torts to say it to everyone. I don't disagree with him that he should have a quick hook, but maybe thats just something to stay in house.

We'll see. I don't think he and Torts get along. He's certainly not earned the right to do his own thing. Big year for him, and the team, together.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
why cleveland playing when they were already all cut
Torts said camp is too long(too many pre-season games), he doesn't want regulars to play anymore, plus evaluate some bubble guys.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Speaking of Wennberg. Another classic “Wennberg” game.

No shots on goal.
38 percent faceoffs.

Led all forwards in TOI (and still couldn’t even get a shot off).

I get that it’s pre-season but this is getting frustrating. Nothing more to say about Wennberg’s game. He MUST have a rebound year this season. No if’s And’s or but’s about it.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Replace “Milano”
with
“Wennberg”
Not gonna happen, you know that, he is JK baby. :) I'm really warming to that idea of Wennberg as a D.

Berube quietly put a shutout on his former team. :D

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Speaking of Wennberg. Another classic “Wennberg” game.

No shots on goal.
38 percent faceoffs.

Led all forwards in TOI (and still couldn’t even get a shot off).

I get that it’s pre-season but this is getting frustrating. Nothing more to say about Wennberg’s game. He MUST have a rebound year this season. No if’s And’s or but’s about it.
In context , that’s the 4th straight game , with 0 across the board , other than being -1 . Glad to see Torts message was received . Stenlund continues to shine . Balls in your court Torts . Put your money where your mouth is , and bench his ass

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
In context , that’s the 4th straight game , with 0 across the board , other than being -1 . Glad to see Torts message was received . Stenlund continues to shine . Balls in your court Torts . Put your money where your mouth is , and bench his ass

Torts has been consistent with preseason doesn't matter in regards to vets. Wennberg isn't sitting. He'll have a quick hook, as he said, but he isn't sitting.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Shout out to anybody who claimed that the preseason was pointless and/or tough to watch, before tonight. And, 'peace be with you' to anybody who watched 75+% of the game tonight. However, still there is/was much to learn.

I think Clendening should be the #7, at worst, when fully healthy. Quite frankly I think he looks just as good as Cole defensively and is more mobile and better offensively. Should 100% be ahead of Carlsson and Harrington. The last couple games Nutivaara has been somewhat "exposed" with increased responsibilities. As of now, he should still be seen as primarily an offensive defenseman. I think Clendening may start the year with quite a bit of ice time, especially or more so if Murray is not playing. Another guy who looks better than expected is Kukan. He's looked better than practically anybody else on D, besides Jones and Werenski. Hopefully Wade is kept in the organization and gets to play regularly in CLE.

Also, I've seen enough of both of Hannikainen and Milano in the NHL. The "new" guys are all better and all bring more than those 2. I'd rather see Sedlak also. Sedlak should be a mainstay on the 4th line, whether on the wing or at center. While he may not "excel" at anything, he has a VERY GOOD overall game. I think Stenlund should or could be kept around as a 3rd/4th line winger. I think people underestimate what it takes to be a regular center in the NHL at 19-20. He's clearly not there yet. Same goes for Davidsson and Duclair being better. I think Duclair is more of a "lock" than any of these guys when it comes to being kept in the NHL for depth scoring along with probably getting an occasional 'scratch'. It will be interesting to see what they do with Davidsson. It certainly wouldn't hurt to keep him around. It will be interesting to see who starts the season on the CBJ.

We 100% need Jones AND Murray back. While Jones is clearly missed, as usual, the defense is also CLEARLY missing Murray.

I could se Milano being dealt for a 2nd rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad