GDT: Rolling Preseason GDT | Game 8 | at Chicago | 9/29 8PM | NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Stenlund should make a team over Milano i'm sorry.

Sorry, not sorry. Stenlund has looked better than everyone except for Atkinson and Panarin. Maybe Duclair. That's it. Of course he should make the team. If he can't keep it up, then send him down.

Not gonna happen, you know that, he is JK baby. :) I'm really warming to that idea of Wennberg as a D.

I've been warm to it for ages but even if a coach is convinced to try Wennberg at D (a 2% chance - who has Lemaire size balls?), it would be something you start him on next summer. For now we need him to be a good forward. :help:

Reactions: The Bread Man

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Like Milano last year, I think Stenlund has played well enough to warrant a spot on opening night.

Davidsson has not.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
And to reiterate.....

Korpisalo+$5 mil cap dollars > Bobrovsky
9mill savings next year

Torts has been consistent with preseason doesn't matter in regards to vets. Wennberg isn't sitting. He'll have a quick hook, as he said, but he isn't sitting.

I don’t think that’s what he said this week...

Tortorella doesn't sound thrilled with the way camp has gone for some of his more established NHL players, particularly up front, so he wants to start seeing more out of them - or else. The fact he's able to add an "or else," to his thoughts this season is a good indicator of the Jackets' wealth of NHL-caliber talent.
"I'm looking at a couple of guys [tonight] that I'm hoping are going to be really good, and I wish their camp were better," Tortorella said. "So, I'm going to keep a close eye on it. There's some guys that I'm just going to have a short leash. It's not about talking to [the media] about it and complaining about it … I'll just change the lines, because that's one thing that I think I'm going to be able to do."

and Tortorella isn't going to be shy about using it.
"I'm going to be able to move some different things around, where … is it a first line, second line, third line, fourth line [team] or is it a first line and then three lines?" he said. "I don't know where it all sits. It depends on the play of players, but I am not going to be overly patient with guys that I've seen play enough and know they need to give. If they don't give, then I'm going to try different people

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Like Milano last year, I think Stenlund has played well enough to warrant a spot on opening night.

Davidsson has not.

Tell me who retrieved the "loose puck" and passed it u to the high guy on the point a good 2-3 times on the PP just before the Stenlund goal.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Tell me who retrieved the "loose puck" and passed it u to the high guy on the point a good 2-3 times on the PP just before the Stenlund goal.

He had a good camp. He's close. He just doesn't play a 4th line game, and the only spots open are on the 4th line. It's better to go back to Sweden and come back next year when there'll be more opportunity.

I don't think Stenlund stays either, but I think he will start here.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Shout out to anybody who claimed that the preseason was pointless and/or tough to watch, before tonight. And, 'peace be with you' to anybody who watched 75+% of the game tonight. However, still there is/was much to learn.

I think Clendening should be the #7, at worst, when fully healthy. Quite frankly I think he looks just as good as Cole defensively and is more mobile and better offensively. Should 100% be ahead of Carlsson and Harrington. The last couple games Nutivaara has been somewhat "exposed" with increased responsibilities. As of now, he should still be seen as primarily an offensive defenseman. I think Clendening may start the year with quite a bit of ice time, especially or more so if Murray is not playing. Another guy who looks better than expected is Kukan. He's looked better than practically anybody else on D, besides Jones and Werenski. Hopefully Wade is kept in the organization and gets to play regularly in CLE.

Also, I've seen enough of both of Hannikainen and Milano in the NHL. The "new" guys are all better and all bring more than those 2. I'd rather see Sedlak also. Sedlak should be a mainstay on the 4th line, whether on the wing or at center. While he may not "excel" at anything, he has a VERY GOOD overall game. I think Stenlund should or could be kept around as a 3rd/4th line winger. I think people underestimate what it takes to be a regular center in the NHL at 19-20. He's clearly not there yet. Same goes for Davidsson and Duclair being better. I think Duclair is more of a "lock" than any of these guys when it comes to being kept in the NHL for depth scoring along with probably getting an occasional 'scratch'. It will be interesting to see what they do with Davidsson. It certainly wouldn't hurt to keep him around. It will be interesting to see who starts the season on the CBJ.

We 100% need Jones AND Murray back. While Jones is clearly missed, as usual, the defense is also CLEARLY missing Murray.

I could se Milano being dealt for a 2nd rounder.

I stopped reading at, “he should still be seen as primarily an offensive defenseman.”

.... Nuti as an offensive defenseman? The same Markus Nutivaara that has an intimidating, 9 goals in 127 career games? The same Markus Nutivaara that has 30 points in 127 games (.23 ppg)?

Suggesting that Nutsack is an offensive defenseman is comical.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
9mill savings next year

I don’t think that’s what he said this week...

Tortorella doesn't sound thrilled with the way camp has gone for some of his more established NHL players, particularly up front, so he wants to start seeing more out of them - or else. The fact he's able to add an "or else," to his thoughts this season is a good indicator of the Jackets' wealth of NHL-caliber talent.
"I'm looking at a couple of guys [tonight] that I'm hoping are going to be really good, and I wish their camp were better," Tortorella said. "So, I'm going to keep a close eye on it. There's some guys that I'm just going to have a short leash. It's not about talking to [the media] about it and complaining about it … I'll just change the lines, because that's one thing that I think I'm going to be able to do."

and Tortorella isn't going to be shy about using it.
"I'm going to be able to move some different things around, where … is it a first line, second line, third line, fourth line [team] or is it a first line and then three lines?" he said. "I don't know where it all sits. It depends on the play of players, but I am not going to be overly patient with guys that I've seen play enough and know they need to give. If they don't give, then I'm going to try different people

That's basically what I said.

If preseason mattered that much, Wennberg wouldn't even start on the roster and Bob would be the backup. However, that won't be the case. Wennberg will start in the top 6, and we'll see if he stays there.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Sorry, not sorry. Stenlund has looked better than everyone except for Atkinson and Panarin. Maybe Duclair. That's it. Of course he should make the team. If he can't keep it up, then send him down.
But he needs to play, if it's a spot on 4rth line(11-13 min a night) with Nash and Duclair - yes. If it's 13F in a press box a-la Beerman, then no, then 1st line in Cle is more preferable.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Stenlund is a case where the scouts saw that his play style is more suited for NA than overseas. Nice shot on that goal; not everyone would have taken that.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Stenlund played 4 games. C'mon Porty.

He had a good camp. He's close. He just doesn't play a 4th line game, and the only spots open are on the 4th line. It's better to go back to Sweden and come back next year when there'll be more opportunity.

I don't think Stenlund stays either, but I think he will start here.

Thank god, we should be rid of him if he did!

I'm surprised you're still going on about a 4th line playstyle. There isn't one anymore.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Stenlund played 4 games. C'mon Porty.

Thank god, we should be rid of him if he did!

I'm surprised you're still going on about a 4th line playstyle. There isn't one anymore.

Lukas Sedlak and Markus Hannikainen are "ideal" 4th line playstyles. Derek MacKenzie too, in his A day.

However, with Nash they aren't going with a typical 4th line. So Davidsson still has a shot.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Kessel was treated unfairly, it really didn't have much to do with his play. Phaneuf is legit bad. Both guys were big dollar savior figures who failed to meet sky-high expectations.

A better comparable is Kadri, who had some down seasons a few years ago, when he was about the same as Wennberg's age. There was some negative press but I don't recall anything crazy.

You can be disappointed in Wennberg's play (I am) without exaggerating and bull****ting it into something worse. He's like Kadri was, disappointing but still useful.
I take Kadri for Wennberg straight up and give the Toronto media a shot at “critiquing” Wenny.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Asked if he was pleased with his training camp, Wennberg said: “Not really. I think I could be a little better. I feel like there’s some good things, but looking at the big picture, not aggressive enough and not really involved in too much offense. It’s been an issue in the past. It’s good that it’s (training) camp and you can feel it out a little bit. But I know what I’m doing and I’m just focused on repairing it a little bit.”

The good and not-so-good from Blue Jackets' training camp,...

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I have a quick pair of questions for folks who are constantly kvetching about Wennberg:

What would be your opinion on bringing back Artem Anisimov?

If you're in favor - why him and not Wennberg?

I'll hang up and listen.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I have a quick pair of questions for folks who are constantly kvetching about Wennberg:

What would be your opinion on bringing back Artem Anisimov?

If you're in favor - why him and not Wennberg?

I'll hang up and listen.
No thank you.

Wennberg can and should be more. My concerns circle around his unwillingness to change his game at all, even after the coaching staff tries to get more out of him (namely shooting). I'm not questioning his conditioning or training regimen, and I continue to be willing to look at last season as an aberration due to injury. This year is huge for him, and I want to see more. The one goal he scored in the preseason was great--I wanted more of that, rather than several games without attempting another shot. I'm afraid it's going to be a situation where he has to hear it from another coaching staff elsewhere before he clicks into another gear.

Arty is what he is: an oft concussed 3rd liner. Even at his most maddening, I have hope for Wennberg to be more than that for us.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Give me Anisimov at the same age.

At least he plays hard enough and goes into the tough areas to get a concussion.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
no gdt yet so meh they gonna start carlsson over clendening kinda sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad