GDT: Rolling Preseason GDT | Game 8 | at Chicago | 9/29 8PM | NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Wennberg and Nuti are punished for bad game with another game tomorrow. :)

They earned it. Nothing quite as terrifying as being sent to play with the AHL squad.

So is Milano. I don't see why that spot should be his.

I would have sent Milano to play with the AHL squad too. And if he still can't handle the puck, send him to Cleveland. He's been outplayed by Stenlund, Davidsson, and really half the Monsters probably.

Reactions: thebus88

major major

Feb 18, 2013
My one takeaway from that game, is this:

HOLY **** ARTEMI PLEASE DONT LEAVE US.

To be honest, the only times lately that I have given much thought to Artemi leaving are when I'm online here. Watching the games I'm just thrilled. I'll enjoy Artemi do Artemi until Jarmo does Jarmo.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
To be honest, the only times lately that I have given much thought to Artemi leaving are when I'm online here. Watching the games I'm just thrilled. I'll enjoy Artemi do Artemi until Jarmo does Jarmo.
I just want to be able to watch him play 90+ games a year for 8 years instead of just one.

Hopefully I’ll enjoy him scoring 100 points this year as much as I should. He and Cam are starting to look like he and Kane did. It’s going to be f***ing awesome.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Great to see Pooh being Pooh. And some people thought he would grow !!!!!!

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Hockey is
Great to see Pooh being Pooh. And some people thought he would grow !!!!!!
Hockey is no different than basketball in this regard. If a player is known that he can’t shoot , the defenses will sag off that player , and play the passing lanes , and use that resource to help on the legit scoring threats . Wennberg refuses to shoot the puck. His stats were highly inflated from 2yrs ago , when our powerplay was absolutely on fire for the good first half of that season. Since then his numbers have tanked . He’s a one trick pony , and the book is out on him . If you watch , teams we play , don’t honor him shooting. They play off him . This makes it really hard to drive to the net , and really hard to make a pass which results in a primary assist . Kid just has no fire in his belly , doesn’t want to improve , or is not coachable . Could be a combination of all 3, I don’t know . What I do know is that his coach has screamed for 2 years to shoot the puck, and he refuses to. Hopefully Stenlund is ready for the big time, and we can send Wennberg packing , and unload his 5 million in salary , and get a great player in return . There may be teams out there , that value a passive , playmaker type player , that has a lot of snipers . But it looks like Torts is ready to start getting aggressive in this situation

hossua34

Mutt
Apr 7, 2003
Irvine, CA
Anyone know where I can watch the highlights of yesterday's game against the Pens? The link on the Jackets site leads to the wrong game, the link on the Penguins site leads to a different wrong game, and there is nothing on NHL.com...

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
No one is judging Pooh from Preseason performance. Pooh now has a solid book over the last 2 years. As BM noted, other than during that crazy period where our PP was on fire, his numbers have been mediocre. And watch the play on the ice. I mentioned this 2 years ago. Teams DO sag off of him. They do not play him to shoot. They play him to pass and they play to cut off his passing lanes. Go ahead, watch it for yourself during this coming year.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Anyone know where I can watch the highlights of yesterday's game against the Pens? The link on the Jackets site leads to the wrong game, the link on the Penguins site leads to a different wrong game, and there is nothing on NHL.com...

The live game just aired the arena feed with Bob McElligott's radio voiceover, so it's not preserved. There was no gamecenter broadcast, and gamecenter is the feed used for nhl.com highlights and every other website that pulls highlights. It's also the main feed used in pirate streams - normally if you click on a gamecenter stream and you can zoom back and forth from any point of the game to another, so you could open a stream today and rewind to the start of the game even and watch the entire thing. But it's not gamecenter, so there's no rewind ability. I missed Panarin's first goal and I couldn't find it anywhere.

And that's after cutting 20+ players? Egads, they're going to get smoked

These are mostly call ups that already got cut. They just don't want to put NHLers on the ice in a back to back if they don't have to (unless they deserve punishment like a few do).

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Exactly. That's usually how people end up making the team in training camp.
Yeah, unestablished players like Milano, Duclair, Stenlund, Kukan and Carlsson. Not players like Wennberg who at the very least have shown to be extremely effective defensively. With Wennberg I very much believe it's a "hey we know your good, but we can see so much more" and trying to push him to his max potential is where the frustration is coming from.

I haven't had time to really watch much preseason because of a new job and crazy hours trying to open a new building. But preseason is about getting your legs under you if your an established roster player and a chance for prospects to possibly steal a spot if the opportunity is there.

People were giving Bob shit last night but I don't think Bob is going to go 110% in the preseason. It's more about getting mentally and physically prepared for going through everything you've been working on all off-season at game speed.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Yeah, unestablished players like Milano, Duclair, Stenlund, Kukan and Carlsson. Not players like Wennberg who at the very least have shown to be extremely effective defensively. With Wennberg I very much believe it's a "hey we know your good, but we can see so much more" and trying to push him to his max potential is where the frustration is coming from.

I haven't had time to really watch much preseason because of a new job and crazy hours trying to open a new building. But preseason is about getting your legs under you if your an established roster player and a chance for prospects to possibly steal a spot if the opportunity is there.

People were giving Bob **** last night but I don't think Bob is going to go 110% in the preseason. It's more about getting mentally and physically prepared for going through everything you've been working on all off-season at game speed.
Bob gave up 6 goals and 5 goals on his last 2 games , but to lump him in with Wennberg , who has been called out by the coaching staff for now 2 years is a pretty big stretch . Wennberg is ok defensively , but they aren’t paying him 5 mill per season to be Casper the invisible ghost , nearly every night . It’s flat out inexcusable to play on the top 2 lines , not register a point , nor a shot , in 3 straight games . Meanwhile up till last night Stenlund was up there in leading team in points this preseason . You honestly think if he played for the blackhawks , rangers , leafs etc, their media wouldn’t be ripping him to shreads . He’s been a highly ineffective player for nearly a year and a half , coaches tell him what he needs to do to be more effective , which would only help his teammates as well, and he refuses to do it . Hopefully Stenlund is ready for the challenge , and we can park Wennberg on the bench , and make Wennberg try to earn his ice time , that would be the absolute best case scenario

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Wennberg is ok defensively , but they aren’t paying him 5 mill per season to be Casper the invisible ghost , nearly every night . It’s flat out inexcusable to play on the top 2 lines , not register a point , nor a shot , in 3 straight games . Meanwhile up till last night Stenlund was up there in leading team in points this preseason . You honestly think if he played for the blackhawks , rangers , leafs etc, their media wouldn’t be ripping him to shreads . He’s been a highly ineffective player for nearly a year and a half , coaches tell him what he needs to do to be more effective , which would only help his teammates as well, and he refuses to do it . Hopefully Stenlund is ready for the challenge , and we can park Wennberg on the bench , and make Wennberg try to earn his ice time , that would be the absolute best case scenario

He's been the principal's (Jarmo's) pet since the day he was drafted. The CBJ committed $30 million to him as an RFA. If he's going to play the same passive offensive game and not shoot (in direct violation of his coach's public pronouncements) then something severe needs to happen to him.

I'd give him the Cleveland treatment or just cut my losses and fire sale trade him come December (or use him as part of a Panarin or Bob deal) if nothing changes. He's 24 and starting his 5th full NHL season. He may just be too pig headed to change. If that 's the case, then get rid of him. He's never going to be an impact player in this league in any case. If he won't change his no shooting mind set, there's a good chance he'll be a soft as butter 30-39 points guy. Let him be that on someone else's team.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You honestly think if he played for the blackhawks , rangers , leafs etc, their media wouldn’t be ripping him to shreads .

No, because it's just like you and 5 other dudes who have an irrational dislike for the guy. He can have a disappointing season and not be pitchforked out of town. And let's be clear, it was not that disappointing, he's still above half a point per game with the best plus/minus on the team. Even last year Wennberg was still that center that made his wingers better. Go through one by one and most of our wingers get a good boost from him. The media in Toronto has been known to really go after a guy, but you'd have to be a lot worse than Wennberg to make that happen.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
General manager Jarmo Kekalainen, contacted Saturday morning, did not rule out Murray being healthy enough to play against the Detroit Red Wings in the Blue Jackets' season-opener Thursday at Little Caesar's Arena.
Pray for Murr's groin. :)

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Surely you jest.

The Toronto media is brutal on players. Ask Kessel. Ask Phaneuf. A guy like Wennberg would be easy fodder for them.
Absolutely ... our media here is a joke . Part of the reason players that want a true hockey market, don’t want to play here .And our fans are still just happy to have a team. It’s not me and 5 people here that have an irrational dislike for Wennberg . Kid is either a lazy player , uncoachable, or doesn’t care . He’s been told 100s of times he needs to play more aggressive , he has to shoot the puck on a regular basis to be a legit player in the nhl. Most nights he’s invisible . This preseason ,he has had one good shift , that’s unacceptable for a player making 5 mill per yr . Torts needs to go to a zero tolerance strategy with Wennberg , make him earn each game , or he sits . He will get the message or get traded

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
In this video from 9/18 Wenny is asked about his needing shooting more (50sec mark) after his only preseason goal. He basically says that it doesn't matter and he is going to play his game. If you ask me that is being uncoachable.

0:45 to 1:10.

He's gonna do what he's gonna do. He's going to play "his game". :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->