Tennis: Roland Garros 2018

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Diego is playing at a sustainable level, too. Rafa needs to raise his game.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Early break for Diego as Nadal continues to look ordinary.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Would be surprised if Nadal pulls this out. If he does, the little Argentine will prove to be the perfect warm-up for Thiem. In other words, this is the finals for Nadal.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
After Rafa and Diego trade another pair of breaks, rain delay at 3-2 with Diego to serve.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The second recent fortuitous rain delay for Rafa. God is Hispanic. Somebody tell Trump.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
As he has so often in the past, Cilic cracks at a very inopportune time. Now 6-5 for Del Potro in the fourth set and he is serving for the match....three unforced errors and a winner seal the deal. A very steady win for Juan Martin.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
This win will move Del Potro back to at least #4 in the world (his career high). He can get as high as #3 by winning the tournament.

Nadal needs to win the tournament to retain #1.

But looking like a Nadal-Thiem final right now.

Ladies about to start their SF. I like Muguruza and Keys today.

Whoever wins between Halep/Muguruza will be #1 on Monday.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This win will move Del Potro back to at least #4 in the world (his career high). He can get as high as #3 by winning the tournament.

But looking like a Nadal-Thiem final right now.

Ladies about to start their SF. I like Muguruza and Keys today.

Whoever wins between Halep/Muguruza will be #1 on Monday.
I like exactly the opposite, Halep and Sloane, which means you are in good shape. :laugh:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Halep 6-1. She is on a mission. But Garbine needs to calm down and stop overhitting the ball.

2nd set: Garbine has settled down and stopped being her own worst enemy and she earns the early break, 2-1....Muguruza tightens just a little and Halep pounces, 4-4.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That was a game that from the beginning felt like it had both women's destinies riding on it. Halep holds after 14 minutes to take a 5-4 lead. Big pressure on Garbine right now.... and Halep breaks at love for the match.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
With Keys' forehand missing in action, an easy first set for Stephens, 6-4.

2nd set: Sloane, content to just keep the ball in play and let Madison make mistakes, breaks for 1-love....didn't see the rest after 3-2 ....seems like it must have ended with a string of three break games but the result is the same: Madison's inconsistency dooms her chances once again.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Stephens will have to be way more aggressive than she was today against Halep whose chances a like a lot in the final.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Not expecting Thiem to have much trouble today.

I think Del Potro could win today, but my money would be on Nadal.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
4 all in the first in a very even opening set....but Cecchinato can't convert his break; Thiem serving for the set...countering some of C's surprising shot selections with a few of his own, including serve and volley, Thiem wins the set 7-5. Smart strategy.

2nd set: 4 all again, though in a set even better played by both players than the first....Thiem wins a thrillilng tie breaker, 12-10. High intensity, creative tennis from both players. Just a marvelous set. In Cecchinato's case I don't know whether to offer praise or ask for a urine test.

3rd set: Thiem breaks for 3-love though Marco still appears to have a lot of fight in him....ah, check that; Mario loses serve badly at love--his carriage is now definitely turning back into a pumpkin, 4-love...though with a little effort required, Thiem closes it out 6-1.

Thus ends one of the greatest runs by an unknown in tennis history.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think Rafa will pick apart Del Potro like a vulture with a coyote carcass.

Toying with Juan Martin's relative immobility, Rafa finds creative ways to escape from love-30, love-40 and love-30 starts to his first three service games, 3-2....Living dangerously, Rafa saves three break points at 4 all, missed opportunities that may not come again, 5-4....Rafa turns it up a notch, and there's the break, 6-4. The set's result seemed preordained.

2nd set: A very sharp Rafa cruises 6-1.

3rd set: Pickin' dead flesh from his teeth with a gold toothpick, Nadal breaks immediately, 1-love....a second break follows for 4-1....looking invincible Rafa takes the match 6-2.

Thiem is going to have a long day on Sunday by the looks of it.

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Not even close in the end. I don't expect Sunday's final to be all that close either. Just not convinced Thiem has another level in him.

Jun 15, 2007
Thiem has a good chance to upset.

Odds are currently 18/5. I'd put money on that.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sloane off to a good start; Halep looks a little tight, on serve 2-1. There is going to be a lot of long rallies, so maybe nerves will be the deciding factor....cool, calm Stephens is displaying a great deal of patience and outdueling Halep from the baseline, 4-1.

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Halep no match for Stephens' power and consistency.

Sloane is tough to beat in her current form. She moves well, she puts balls deep and can change directions. She uses the slice perfectly at the appropriate times when she's challenged and can't get there in time for a full swing. Very intelligent tennis. Liking her more and more.

Some epic exchanges so far!

When romanians sing SI-MO-NA, SI-MO-NA, it reminds me so much of The Mummy : IM-HO-TEP, IM-HO-TEP. I wanted to share that with someone.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A classic clay court final so far in which the aim is to extract errors through long rallies rather than to hit winners at the net (there has been virtually no volleying whatsoever). First set to a very patient and opportunistic Stephens, 6-3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad