Tennis: Roland Garros 2018

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Roland-Garros - The 2018 French Open official site

Qualifying draw will be out shortly and play will begin tomorrow.

We've got some Canadian talent in qualifying on both the Men's and Women's side. Including our 17 year old future GOAT Felix Auger-Aliassime. He hasn't had a great 2018, so hopefully he can find his form.

As for the main draw, defending champs are Nadal and Ostapenko. Nadal is the heavy favorite again this year but I feel like he is vulnerable.

No Federer or Del Potro by the sounds of it.

Djokovic looked much better in Rome and gave Nadal all he could handle in the SF but I don't know if he is enough back to form to have a run in BO5.

Zverev is still waiting for a breakthrough at a slam, maybe this is the one...

Raonic has withdrawn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evil Speaker

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I feel like Nadal is vulnerable this year, too, though when I think it through, it is more of a vague hunch than anything evidential. Rafa's played a lot of tennis this spring and it seems this was about the time in Fed's career that stringing together seven top performances to win a GS became problematic for a while. My dark horse would be Nole. I'd be surprised if it would be anyone out of the blue.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Peliwo lost, Polansky plays tomorrow. Does Vasek have direct entry?

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Peliwo lost, Polansky plays tomorrow. Does Vasek have direct entry?

Yup, Pospisil and Shapovalov are in the MD.

Polansky just won his first round Q match.

Abanda lost in her first round Q match. Not a good look for her after the spotlight she put on herself.

Genie will be playing her very first RG Q match today. She'll play after Zhao, who I believe is also playing her first RG Q.

Andreescu unfortunately drew the #1 seed in qualifying. She'll play tomorrow.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fun trivia question thanks to one of the articles on the RG homepage:

Excluding Roger who is 5-0 in his most recent matches against Rafa, who is the only player to currently have a 2-0 win streak against Nadal?

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
That's a good question...can't come up with an answer.

Rainy day yesterday but qualifying back in full swing today.

Our Canadian roundup:

Our other 17 year old, Andreescu, knocked off the #1 seed in qualifying this morning.

Another poor result for Bouchard. She retired from her Q1 match down 0-6 1-2. Not sure what the "injury" was.

Zhao taking on Schiavone at the moment. They are on serve in the 3rd. Zhao, a 22 year old who had a nice career at Stanford, is still trying to find her way on the main tour. She is at a career high 135 ranking right now.

Felix is up soon for his Q2 match. Up against Munar, whom he lost to recently. It's a tough matchup, both young up and comers.

Polansky will play his Q2 tomorrow.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Well outside of Andreescu, it wasn't a great day for the Canadians in qualifying.

Zhao lost that 3rd set to Schiavone and Auger-Aliassime just lost in straight sets to Munar 6-3 6-3.

I know he's only 17 but I'm getting impatient for this breakthough :laugh:. It will come...

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The answer: Dustin Brown, who has won five of the six sets he has played against Rafa. Both victories came on grass. Oddly, Brown is technically undefeated against Federer who he has somehow managed to never play. An unblemished record against both Roger and Rafa--I think we are talking GOAT territory here.

It's how FAA loses, too often with a whimper rather than a fight, that bugs me. At least, Munar is a good young clay court player.

Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Del Potro in Paris still hoping to be fit enough. But what kind of run can we expect if he's still not sure if he's fit on Wednesday?

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
What is Stan up to?

He is playing Geneva this week. Getting some matches in.

He's actually up against Donaldson shortly.

Draw is out tomorrow and with Chung withdrawing last night, Shapovalov will be the #24 seed at the moment.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Polansky and Andreescu both into the final round of qualifying.

Main draw will be out a little later today and with Denis getting into the top 24 seeds, he won't have to face a top 8 player until the second week (if he gets that far).

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Watching a chunk of the qualifying the past couple of days, I would say the men are a lot deeper than the women. But the depth on the male side is insane. I don't think there ever has been anything like it.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Draw is out. Shapovalov lands in Nadal's section, but not a bad draw for Denis until the 4th round.

Vasek, given his play on clay any win would be welcome, manages to at least avoid playing a seed in the first round.

Really a joke of a draw for Nadal. Basically all his competition in the other half. Zverev/Thiem in the same quarter.

Reactions: kihei and Smash88

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rafa's draw is so ideal I suspect Tony must have picked it. Nadal not only avoids all the so-called major challengers--Zverev, Djokovic, Thiem, Dimitrov--until the Finals, he also avoids until the Finals almost all of the minor challengers and dangerous younger players as well--Goffin, Pouille, Wawrinka, Krygios, Carreno Busta, Bautista Agut, Tsitsipas, and Nishikori. To alert nascent conspiracy theorists, this could not possibly be a fix as it would appear too obvious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Ostapenko, something of a long-ish shot to repeat, is provided with a draw that gives her a fighting chance to do so, though.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Polansky lost his final round qualifying match (something he's done way too many times), but he gets a chance to grab one of the LL spots.

There are 4 this year, so he goes into a draw of 6 players. Very good odds to grab a spot.

Andreescu is currently in a rain delay in her final qualifying match. The 17 year old is down a set but on serve in the second. Hopefully she can pull it out!

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Kozlova takes the first set against Ostapenko, but she is currently on a MTO. She's got a nasty looking blister on her foot/heel. Looks painful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->