RoBort Cop (Roberto Bortuzzio)

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
He plays so much meaner in the NHL than he ever did in the AHL.

I have to eat crow on that one, I didn't think he had it in him.

At his height and weight i would HOPE he plays mean. IMO tall big dudes NEED to have a bit of nasty in them just because they are tall and huge and can ragdoll players.

ZeroHero

Dec 3, 2010
He’s always reminded me of Beaky Buzzard..

beak.gif

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I like him. He's got good mobility for his size and he's gritty. He still falls down way too much for a 6'4" guy though.

Not great balance for a guy of his size and skating ability. It really has to do with strength. He has strengthened up nicely this past offseason, but he still has some work to do.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
He plays so much meaner in the NHL than he ever did in the AHL.

Yeah, a bit surprised at this as well. I hope it's not a temporary thing that he's ratcheted up in order to secure a spot and then gradually erodes. If it's a real development, it'd be a huge boon to both him and the team.

The way he fights though makes me think he's going to get popped bad one of these days.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
At his height and weight i would HOPE he plays mean. IMO tall big dudes NEED to have a bit of nasty in them just because they are tall and huge and can ragdoll players.

Not entirely. If Robert Bortuzzo was the softest player on the team, but had an active stick and one of the best shutdown guys on this team, does being nasty still matter? Not even in the slightest. You don't need to be nasty to be effective. But for Bortz's case, he's nasty, gets people off their game and he's a solid defenseman, not the best, but he plays a safe game and keeps the puck out of the scoring areas in the Pens zone.

His progress has been great, but he was also regarded as one half of the best shutdown duo in WBS, he had a pedigree already as a guy that was tough to score against when he was on the ice, the fact that it is now translating to the NHL and he's a guy that has moved up on the depth chart and is considered a regular is awesome and also, as much as we crap on WBS for not developing more talent, kudos to the guys down there (CH & Asst. Nas).

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I like his reach. A guy with a huge wingspan is something we haven't had since Hal Gill. He can eliminate a lot of time and space in the defensive zone and I think his physical play will help alleviate Orpik's loss in the summer.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Extra points for the OP somehow making his name even more Italian.

"Mamma Mia, if it ain't my old pal from the Bronx, Bobby Bortuzzio!"

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

:laugh:

He get's compared to Orpik a lot, but I don't think he is strong enough yet to be considered like that. I see him as more of a Marchand of defense. He is very very good at pissing people off.

He could use Marchand as an arm-rest if they were standing next to one another, which means that unlike Marchand, he can actually muscle up on people from time to time. I expect he'll continue to fill out (unlike Sutter where I think it's unlikely). He may never be the pancake maker Orpik was but he can have a similar impact on a game as he matures.

Like Jacob said, maybe he brings something new... a cross between Orpik and Gill... with a streak of Marchand if you want. That sounds good to me. Also he can dunk.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I like his reach. A guy with a huge wingspan is something we haven't had since Hal Gill. He can eliminate a lot of time and space in the defensive zone and I think his physical play will help alleviate Orpik's loss in the summer.

Why do people keep talking like Orpik not being here next season is set it stone? Is it a kind of whisful thinking, where if we say it as much as we can with as much certainty as possible, that we'll just will it into happening?

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
:laugh:

Like Jacob said, maybe he brings something new... a cross between Orpik and Gill... with a streak of Marchand if you want. That sounds good to me. Also he can dunk.

Very well put. That's exactly how I see his style of play, and like you said who can complain with that?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why do people keep talking like Orpik not being here next season is set it stone? Is it a kind of whisful thinking, where if we say it as much as we can with as much certainty as possible, that we'll just will it into happening?

It's a hope that he doesn't return. To keep him would likely be just keeping him for sentimental reasons and not because he makes the defense better as a whole. I think going forward, people would rather see Maatta and Despres as regulars, as they should be with their play and potential. Bortuzzo brings that rare breed of size and nastiness that the team has been lacking since drafting Orpik.

I like Orpik, but you need to make room for the kids on the team. You still hang on to Martin, Scuderi and Letang. Despres has played more NHL games than Bortuzzo has and Maatta if he stays up, will have a fair amount under his belt as well. It's not like the team is going to be filled with rookies with zero experience.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
I'm with moving on from orpik as well. No point in drafting defence first if you never play them. We need some youth in this team.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
He can actually stay on his feet this season, unlike last year where he looked like a new-born deer on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad