RoBort Cop (Roberto Bortuzzio)

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I cannot stress how impressed I have been with his game. He looks to have a bright future ahead of him. He still has not been on the ice for a 5v5 or a 4v5 goal against. He has been moving the puck well, and always seems to be in the right position around the net. ie anti-Orpik.

And he makes these faces on the ice.
772px-Robert_Bortuzzo_2013-02-02_first_nhl_goal.JPG

bortuzzofight.jpg

Pre-Gm-3-Bortuzzo.jpg

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I like him. He's got good mobility for his size and he's gritty. He still falls down way too much for a 6'4" guy though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That first pic is gold. Bort's been great at using his size and reach to draw penalties too.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
I swear he fell down every time someone touched him last night, he looks like Kadri out there. But other then that he's been decent.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I love Bortuzzo. I think he has some untapped puck moving abilities that will grow with confidence.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Definitely looks more confident, faster and stronger this year. He tried to be physical last year but didn't really have the strength to be very effective with it.

H382

Oct 20, 2006
That shift where he corralled the puck while on his ass, then got up made a play and then drew a penalty was a thing of beauty.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
I basically forget he was on the team last year. I doubt there was a non-fighter d-man in the league that stayed up for the full season, without injury, and played less total minutes/a smaller ratio of his team's minutes than him, especially if you count the playoff run.

Hopefully he's through with getting yanked out of the line-up. He's a been a pleasant surprise on the 3rd-pairing.

H382

Oct 20, 2006
Last year I was not a Bortuzzo fan.. at all.. I thought he was just some plug to fill in as a 7th Dman.. I think he could be a great 3rd pairing or a decent 2nd pairing if he keeps progressing.

Fire Shero*

He looks so much better this season, I was nervous he'd be another waiver player at some points last season.

He looks like he is very constipated in those bottom 2 pics and got relief in the first one.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
The timing of this thread is histerical, after Borts' worst game of the season. Forwards were knocking him off the puck all night, and he was struggling handling and passing the biscuit.

That said; I have been a big fan since he started to get ice-time last season. I think it was Jiggy who was talking him up his last 2 seasons in the A, and that got me interested enough to isolate on him from time to time.

I see a big, physical somewhat mean defenseman that can skate, pass, and hit, one that will develop into a cease clearing and corner mucking monster soon.

He will be a legit 2nd pairing anchor, one that is tailor made to the game Pittsburgh wants to play. All the *****ing about him the last year has been hard to take personally, and the thought of just casually trading him to make room for a prospect that may never be as good as he is even now, let alone in two years has been nauseating frankly.

And don't even get me started on how DB "develops" kids like him.... Although bringing J Martin in to coach up the D was just brilliant, and if he gets his way, our D Corps is going to be simply amazing in a few short seasons.

Borts is going to be the kind of defensemen you NEED to win Cups very soon, glad to see people finally coming around to that. Hopefully we sign him long-term before he busts out and we can't afford him anymore.

Last edited:

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
The timing of this thread is histerical, after Borts' worst game of the season. Forwards were knocking him off the puck all night, and he was struggling handling and passing the biscuit.

That said; I have been a big fan since he stared to get ice-time last season. I think it was Jiggy who was talking him up his last 2 seasons in the A, and that got me interested enough to isolate on him from time to time. I see a big, physical somewhat mean defenseman that can skate, pass, and hit, one that will develop into a cease clearing and corner mucking monster soon.

He will be a legit 2nd pairing anchor, one that is tailor made to the game Pittsburgh wants to play. All the *****ing about him the last year has been hard to take personally, and the thought of just casually trading him to make room for a prospect that may never be as good as he is now, let alone in two years has been nauseating frankly.

Borts is going to be the kind of defensemen you NEED to win Cups very soon, glad to see people finally coming around to that.

1 game is not enough to ignore the merits of the season. If his worst game = 0 goals against while he's on the ice, then says a lot IMO.

He does fall down more than I like to see, but it hasn't cost the Pens yet. He usually keeps his falls to board battles where he has help and recovers to the net like he should. He is looking much better than Straight has though. It makes me glad we chose to keep him. I think he just needs some seasoning, and about 5-10 extra lbs. I would like to see him with some "Chara weight" and that attitude. His ceiling is looking much higher than I thought last year.

He is an ass around the net. His crosscheck / min stat is most likely highest on the team. He has learned to keep it right below the penalty line, which is good. Just watch him cover the crease in our own zone. It is impressive, the energy he directs to crease forwards.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
He get's compared to Orpik a lot, but I don't think he is strong enough yet to be considered like that. I see him as more of a Marchand of defense. He is very very good at pissing people off.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
1 game is not enough to ignore the merits of the season. If his worst game = 0 goals against while he's on the ice, then says a lot IMO.

He does fall down more than I like to see, but it hasn't cost the Pens yet. He usually keeps his falls to board battles where he has help and recovers to the net like he should. He is looking much better than Straight has though. It makes me glad we chose to keep him. I think he just needs some seasoning, and about 5-10 extra lbs. I would like to see him with some "Chara weight" and that attitude. His ceiling is looking much higher than I thought last year.

He is an ass around the net. His crosscheck / min stat is most likely highest on the team. He has learned to keep it right below the penalty line, which is good. Just watch him cover the crease in our own zone. It is impressive, the energy he directs to crease forwards.

Yep - he's a real ******* abound the net, definitely has that "edge" a top-flight defensive defenseman needs to be a legit dominant player some day.

Borts put on some good weight this off-season, looks to be up over 220 now, and the balance in the corners against aggressive hard checking forwards will come, he certainly has good enough balance to fight effectively.... Love to see him get to 235ish someday, would give him a lot more leverage, and make it harder to knock him off the puck, especially if he adds those pounds to his lower body.

The kid is already as good as Brooks IMO, and I am not generally an Orpik hater, although his puck management drives me nuts sometimes. :D

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
He get's compared to Orpik a lot, but I don't think he is strong enough yet to be considered like that. I see him as more of a Marchand of defense. He is very very good at pissing people off.

Brooks has elite level skating and balance for a defenseman, makes laying-the-wood a lot easier for him. And of course, being the codgy old vet that he is, his sense of timing is really good. Hopefully Borts is learning that from him.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
He plays so much meaner in the NHL than he ever did in the AHL.

I have to eat crow on that one, I didn't think he had it in him.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
a good start to the season playing on the bottom pair isn't enough to consider him as good as Orpik.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad