Robin Lehner Appreciation Thread

Joe Scaduto

Jun 24, 2018
I would trade Lehner at deadline.Too much money to invest in goalie when you need to rebuild on offence and defense....too many holes to fill.Plus the return would be good cuz he would be a great addition to a playoff team.Dont want to be like the canadiens with a 10 million dollar goalie and a mediocre team in front off him .Rather spend money elsewhere.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
and i do not blame him.

Me neither. I don't think he is wrong that being open with his struggles cost him money. That's not right. It was the Hawks luck that he landed in their lap and hopefully they'll sign him. I don't want to see a Price contract but hopefully he will sign for term and a moderate pay increase.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I would trade Lehner at deadline.Too much money to invest in goalie when you need to rebuild on offence and defense....too many holes to fill.Plus the return would be good cuz he would be a great addition to a playoff team.Dont want to be like the canadiens with a 10 million dollar goalie and a mediocre team in front off him .Rather spend money elsewhere.
i will admit that you do make a valid point, i guess it will all comes down to what would his camp wants in money.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Me neither. I don't think he is wrong that being open with his struggles cost him money. That's not right. It was the Hawks luck that he landed in their lap and hopefully they'll sign him. I don't want to see a Price contract but hopefully he will sign for term and a moderate pay increase.
wow you do make an interesting point of his value..... is or will it be a Price range or other ??

thing is it does appear as he did take a discount to come to chi..... i am just assuming of this point.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

As difficult as it is for me to admit that's probably the right call. Lehner was a gift of the hockey gods but it will take some major re-tweaking for Hawks to keep him.
Thanks to Stan's mismanagement Hawks have already spent far too much time cap-strapped and it needs to end now to open up options going forward.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
As difficult as it is for me to admit that's probably the right call. Lehner was a gift of the hockey gods but it will take some major re-tweaking for Hawks to keep him.
Thanks to Stan's mismanagement Hawks have already spent far too much time cap-strapped and it needs to end now to open up options going forward.
again for me words are not fully explained...... my main question is, is it SB orders or was it his superiors who made these screwed up deals or ideas.

the other part is, is the FO temporizing/stall/hedging, for the last 4 yrs..... in hopes to extend the SC's yrs.... who is really at fault, who is guilty ??

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
i will admit that you do make a valid point, i guess it will all comes down to what would his camp wants in money.

to me it is not about the money that he wants, pay the man the money that he deserves, within reason; to me its the term that MUST be appropriate and important from a hawks perspective and if Lehner wants a term of greater than 4-5 years I say let him walk.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
to me it is not about the money that he wants, pay the man the money that he deserves, within reason; to me its the term that MUST be appropriate and important from a hawks perspective and if Lehner wants a term of greater than 4-5 years I say let him walk.

On the flip side, if Lehner can maintain his stellar play, in theory, Hawks could be back to contention in a few years and will need solid goaltending to accomplish that. $ 8 M may end up to be a bargain contract if that's the case keeping in mind that the cap is liable to increase significantly over the next 5 years. It may be a pipe dream but it is possible. Stan's M.O. indicates he will sign Lehner.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
good point and what you posted, well i never thought of it that way.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
On the flip side, if Lehner can maintain his stellar play, in theory, Hawks could be back to contention in a few years and will need solid goaltending to accomplish that. $ 8 M may end up to be a bargain contract if that's the case keeping in mind that the cap is liable to increase significantly over the next 5 years. It may be a pipe dream but it is possible. Stan's M.O. indicates he will sign Lehner.
and what of the goalie prospects that the Bhawks have acquired ??

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
and what of the goalie prospects that the Bhawks have acquired ??

let them develop and we will need a quality backup cause Crow is gone after this year and lets face it the way the NHL is these days the goalie splits are way way more even then they ever were, so you have a split of 48-28 or something like that (are there 82 games?)

in addition to that really goalie prospects are the biggest crapshoot in all of sports IMO. Yes we have Lankinen, Peters and the Russian fellow but really that is about it that I can recall off the top of my head and the likely case scenario is that 1 of the three ends up turning into a starter at best

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
let them develop and we will need a quality backup cause Crow is gone after this year and lets face it the way the NHL is these days the goalie splits are way way more even then they ever were, so you have a split of 48-28 or something like that (are there 82 games?)

in addition to that really goalie prospects are the biggest crapshoot in all of sports IMO. Yes we have Lankinen, Peters and the Russian fellow but really that is about it that I can recall off the top of my head and the likely case scenario is that 1 of the three ends up turning into a starter at best
would you consider Delia as a viable prospects ??

second who was being talked about of that goalie of the future ??

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
if resigning Lehner would it prevent them from reaching the nhl with the Bhawks ??

No of course not. We always need a good backup, be it Crow, Lankinen or Gravel in a few years.

At our best we always had a bonafide 1 and an almost 1b backup. Eventually they outprice themselves and move on, but they could also take over the spot why not.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
No of course not. We always need a good backup, be it Crow, Lankinen or Gravel in a few years.

At our best we always had a bonafide 1 and an almost 1b backup. Eventually they outprice themselves and move on, but they could also take over the spot why not.
excellent logic but with the new nhl and the salary cap, when the young goalies are up with their contract, i would hate to loose any of them to the rfa ...... b/c of salary cap restraints.

Reactions: Panzerspitze

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
excellent logic but with the new nhl and the salary cap, when the young goalies are up with their contract, i would hate to loose any of them to the rfa ...... b/c of salary cap restraints.

But that’s how it works and has worked throughout the years in the “new NHL” with a salary cap (which has been around for like 15 years)

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
would you consider Delia as a viable prospects ??

second who was being talked about of that goalie of the future ??

na, Delia is an AHL goalie that may turn into a journeyman NHL back up.

Damn I forgot about Gravel, so he, Lankinen, Peters and Nalimov. Those four guys are the hope after Crow if Lehner is not signed. Of the four it seems like Nalimov, 5 years in the KHL now and Lankinen are the two that may be ready in the shorter term and Peters, Gravel are further down the road.

Not sure that Stan is comfortable going with Lankinen and Nalimov as a starter for the next few years but who knows...

in any case Lehner at a term of greater than 4 years IMO is a mistake, 5 is even worse but would be the longest term

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
na, Delia is an AHL goalie that may turn into a journeyman NHL back up.

Damn I forgot about Gravel, so he, Lankinen, Peters and Nalimov. Those four guys are the hope after Crow if Lehner is not signed. Of the four it seems like Nalimov, 5 years in the KHL now and Lankinen are the two that may be ready in the shorter term and Peters, Gravel are further down the road.

Not sure that Stan is comfortable going with Lankinen and Nalimov as a starter for the next few years but who knows...

in any case Lehner at a term of greater than 4 years IMO is a mistake, 5 is even worse but would be the longest term
since i am only familiar with the system thru what i read, you answer my main question i have been wondering about for a while. the goalie situation. my only concern is how does it affect with the salary cap and the needs to fix this team with some unmovable contracts.

i really do not have an opinion and am grateful for the education here.

many thanks.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
i mean teams should be more careful when giving him a contract i dont really know how that can be argued. it sucks but its the reality of the situation. pardoning him for substance abuse and mental illness was def not how that should have been written tho.

Reactions: Crow

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Other entertainers on even bigger stages overcome obstacles and go right back to making top dollar after a year or 2 has passed. It’s ancient history IMO, he’s fully recovered and better than ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad