Robin Lehner Appreciation Thread

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Outside of Mike Johnson, I struggle to think of a great hockey evaluator that #playedthegame

Hockey fans are the only people in the world who think our precious little niche pastime is so nuanced and complex that you cant possibly evaluate or critique it without years of experience performing it. Hockey isn't medicine or quantum physics, on the scale of complexity for concepts, its pretty far down the list.

Can you imagine if you had to have served as a Senator to have your educated position on politics and policies be considered legitimate?

You realize played the game does not mean NHL or even professional experience. Clearly you don’t. You don’t have to play professionally but you need to know the game and you can’t learn the little things not playing.

Do you actually think that you can sit down and watch a player then evaluate them after not playing and do it better that someone who played? You are dreaming.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Bowman played...

He knew the game before he joined an NHL.

What counts and what doesn’t? Everyone here has probably played street hockey. Your claim that playing puts someone in the 99% percentile of evaluators is ridiculous. There are a lot brilliant hockey minds that didn’t play the game at a high level. Being a player gives someone a different perspective but not a superior one by default.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
What counts and what doesn’t? Everyone here has probably played street hockey. Your claim that playing puts someone in 99% percentile of evaluators is ridiculous. There are a lot brilliant hockey minds that didn’t play the game at a high level. Being a player gives someone a different perspective but not a superior one by default.

Street hockey is not hockey.

My claim doesn’t do that at all. There is no definitive line but you weed through that via interviews and past performance.

Sorry to burst your bubble but people who played at a higher level tend to know more about the game than people who didn’t. This is no different than most things.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Just my two cents... I think having played the game at a competitive level (Jr/College etc.) is beneficial as there are surely things that you learn and appreciate having playing that I or anyone else wouldn't know or appreciate having never played.

However, I don't think you need to have played in the NHL to be a good GM/Coach. I'd even go so far to say it's almost detrimental if you are great at a sport (all sports) as it's harder to relate to the average player who didn't have your abilities. I struggle to think of really great (HOF level) players who've gone on to be successful coaches in any sport, although I'm sure there probably are some. Usually those guys are pretty bad.

Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills

My claim doesn’t do that at all. There is no definitive line but you weed through that via interviews and past performance.

Sorry to burst your bubble but people who played at a higher level tend to know more about the game than people who didn’t. This is no different than most things.
I must respectfully disagree.
Street hockey is still hockey. It's not professional ice hockey but it is hockey.
What else would you call it ? Flaberwocky?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

We’re talking about evaluating here. Playing the game at a high level is probably a significant advantage in coaching it, no argument there. But evaluating players and teams is about evaluating people just as much as it is about hockey. That comes from experience in doing it, just like experience playing makes someone a better player.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
We’re talking about evaluating here. Playing the game at a high level is probably a significant advantage in coaching it, no argument there. But evaluating players and teams is about evaluating people just as much as it is about hockey. That comes from experience in doing it, just like experience playing makes someone a better player.

Bold: This is not really true. Evaluating talent is different that evaluating the person. Being a good person and hard worker only gets you so far. You have to have talent.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Bold: This is not really true. Evaluating talent is different that evaluating the person. Being a good person and hard worker only gets you so far. You have to have talent.

Evaluating is a talent. That’s the point.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Evaluating is a talent. That’s the point.

You have to know what you are looking at. If Scout A is a great baseball evaluator it does not mean that he will be a great hockey or soccer evaluator.

There is some crossover but 99% of the time you need to have a background in the sport.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
You have to know what you are looking at. If Scout A is a great baseball evaluator it does not mean that he will be a great hockey or soccer evaluator.

There is some crossover but 99% of the time you need to have a background in the sport.

All I’m getting at is that it is very possible that someone with little playing experience could be an excellent evaluator. It’s what sites like this are all about. There are many posters here who never talk about their playing experience that are extremely knowledgeable about the game and have track records to prove it. It’s why I log in everyday, to appreciate and understand the perspectives of other people, whether they played or not.

Reactions: sugoi88

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
All I’m getting at is that it is very possible that someone with little playing experience could be an excellent evaluator. It’s what sites like this are all about. There are many posters here who never talk about their playing experience that are extremely knowledgeable about the game and have track records to prove it. It’s why I log in everyday, to appreciate and understand the perspectives of other people, whether they played or not.

Possible? Sure. Likely? No.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Sign him to a multi-year contract already!

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad