Robin Lehner Appreciation Thread

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Plays On a different level almost like Hasek did just unreal saves hope he can keep it going and take the Vinza this year hoping for at least 50 starts for Lehner to have a chance

Reactions: ColdSteel2

magnificent

Jul 6, 2016
I always feel a bit awkward watching his plays when opponents attacking the net. He nicely choose right positions and doesn't move much. I don't see it often in the NHL. Even Crawford plays differently.

Really love Lehner. He brought new energy into this organization.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I always feel a bit awkward watching his plays when opponents attacking the net. He nicely choose right positions and doesn't move much. I don't see it often in the NHL. Even Crawford plays differently.

Really love Lehner. He brought new energy into this organization.

i agree with the bold and i have like him when he when he was with the other team.

ref to his goalie skills..... i leave that to the experts on this board esp BK.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Reactions: RememberTheRoar

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
Lehner is awesome during games but totally sucks in the shootout because he himselfssaid he lacks confidence in the shootout. The coachs need to help him work on that and gain the confidence he needs for the shootouts otherwise always use Crow for the shootouts.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Lehner is awesome during games but totally sucks in the shootout because he himselfssaid he lacks confidence in the shootout. The coachs need to help him work on that and gain the confidence he needs for the shootouts otherwise always use Crow for the shootouts.

.....clearly.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Which is why I generally have the opinion that the sports writers that vote on this **** are as knowledgeable as a caveman when it comes to hockey. And people wonder why I question pretty much everything the sports writers in this city say, no matter their reputation? :laugh:

Sports writers don't vote on the Vezina.

GMs do. Which is MUCH worse.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I didn't say they did?

And I'd argue that is false. Most GMs have played hockey at the pro level, or at the very least college or semi-pro. Most sports writers... never played, and went to journalism school, and nothing more. :laugh:

I was being a tad facetious, but I'd still argue that no group of people on earth has a longer, more consistent record of misevaluating goaltenders and the goaltending position than NHL General Managers, as evidenced by who they trade or trade for, how much they sign them for, how long they sign them for, and who they award the Vezina to.

It honestly makes roughly as much sense as letting goalies vote for the Best GM every year, lol.

I'd also argue that having played hockey is roughly as integral to evaluating it, as having served in office is to evaluating political policies.

A journalist can educate oneself about a topic to the level of expertise without having actually performed it him or herself. There are lots of bad hockey writers and pundits, there are some good ones, and having played the game isn't a significant variable. There are great ones who played, great ones who didn't, and a whole ton of bad ones from both sides of the fence.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColdSteel2

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'd also argue that having played hockey is roughly as integral to evaluating it, as having served in office is to evaluating political policies.

And this would be wrong. Can you evaluate it without playing? Sure but 99% of the time someone who played the game will be a better evaluator because they see things that people who didn't play would not see. I will say that seeing the things needed and totaling the evaluation are different things.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I was being a tad facetious, but I'd still argue that no group of people on earth has a longer, more consistent record of misevaluating goaltenders and the goaltending position than NHL General Managers, as evidenced by who they trade or trade for, how much they sign them for, how long they sign them for, and who they award the Vezina to.

It honestly makes roughly as much sense as letting goalies vote for the Best GM every year, lol.

A journalist can educate oneself about a topic to the level of expertise without having actually performed it him or herself. There are lots of bad hockey writers and pundits, there are some good ones, and having played the game isn't a significant variable. There are great ones who played, great ones who didn't, and a whole ton of bad ones from both sides of the fence.

And you'd be wrong.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
And this would be wrong. Can you evaluate it without playing? Sure but 99% of the time someone who played the game will be a better evaluator because they see things that people who didn't play would not see. I will say that seeing the things needed and totaling the evaluation are different things.

Outside of Mike Johnson, I struggle to think of a great hockey evaluator that #playedthegame

Hockey fans are the only people in the world who think our precious little niche pastime is so nuanced and complex that you cant possibly evaluate or critique it without years of experience performing it. Hockey isn't medicine or quantum physics, on the scale of complexity for concepts, its pretty far down the list.

Can you imagine if you had to have served as a Senator to have your educated position on politics and policies be considered legitimate?

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Outside of Mike Johnson, I struggle to think of a great hockey evaluator that #playedthegame

With you JD. Hell, I played the game. And I learned everything I know from watching NHL hockey for many years. The more games watched, the more learned. Furthermore, the game evolves so much at the pro level that somone watching a lot of hockey right now has a much better understanding than someone who used to watch a lot and doesn’t currently.

If people want to hang their hat on their playing career as giving them a knowledge base that nobody else can have, well, that is their prerogative.

Look no further than Stan Bowman. He wasn’t a player. And yet he has worked in the NHL for a long time. He learned how to observe the game.

Reactions: JaegerDice

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
With you JD. Hell, I played the game. And I learned everything I know from watching NHL hockey for many years. The more games watched, the more learned. Furthermore, the game evolves so much at the pro level that somone watching a lot of hockey right now has a much better understanding than someone who used to watch a lot and doesn’t currently.

If people want to hang their hat on their playing career as giving them a knowledge base that nobody else can have, well, that is their prerogative.

Look no further than Stan Bowman. He wasn’t a player. And yet he has worked in the NHL for a long time. He learned how to observe the game.

Bowman played...

He knew the game before he joined an NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad