Robin Lehner Appreciation Thread

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Don’t care if they have to overpay to keep this guy, its an absolute must. The second he can sign an extension it needs to be priority 1, no screwing around. How many goals you think Crow gives up last night with 57 SOG? That number is an embarrassment.

Imagine this guy on a team that plays defense. I hope he isnt imagining it or else he might leave.
for discussion purpose ..... what about those goalie prospects in the system ??

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
A small aspect I also love about Lehner's game is he's so aggressive with the poke check. Not particulary on breakaways and such, but when there's a scramble around the crease and the puck is loose. He's very quick to hack the puck away with the stick, instead of trying to cover it up with 6 guys around him. Even if he can't reach it, he's still like an extra crease clearer in that aspect. I haven't seen many goalies be so quick to use the goalie stick in defensive scrambles like he does. Or maybe I'm just imagining that quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: d rake

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
A small aspect I also love about Lehner's game is he's so aggressive with the poke check. Not particulary on breakaways and such, but when there's a scramble around the crease and the puck is loose. He's very quick to hack the puck away with the stick, instead of trying to cover it up with 6 guys around him. Even if he can't reach it, he's still like an extra crease clearer in that aspect. I haven't seen many goalies be so quick to use the goalie stick in defensive scrambles like he does. Or maybe I'm just imagining that quality.
That's the one part of Lehner's game where I think he's "weak." On 1 vs. 0 breakaways or sudden turnovers where Lehner has a 1 v 1. I think most goalies are "weak" in that situation ... but I'm starting to to believe Lehner can stop any shot he can see.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Breakaways is one thing that Crow was always great at. He could let in some softies at times but he was great on breakaways. Haven’t see Lehner enough to make a judgement on him regarding breakaways.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Breakaways is one thing that Crow was always great at. He could let in some softies at times but he was great on breakaways. Haven’t see Lehner enough to make a judgement on him regarding breakaways.

Clearly not apples to apples, but Lehner his really bad in the shootout career wise.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Can we substitute a goalie during shootouts?

Yeah, teams used to do it when the shootout was introduced. It’s crossed my mind too since the difference between the two is so stark. It would rob Lehner of the win though, just doesn’t seem like something they would do.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah, that would be a good way to ensure he does nor re-sign.

For sure. Lehner should get a normal starter’s workload if they want to keep and to help the team win.

Love Crow but he should be playing somewhere that needs him to play him a lot. It’s a tough situation because the Hawks will need every win they can get.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, teams used to do it when the shootout was introduced. It’s crossed my mind too since the difference between the two is so stark. It would rob Lehner of the win though, just doesn’t seem like something they would do.

They did? I am trying to remember who did this (not counting injury). Help?

Julie "The Cat" Gaffney replaced Goldberg in the Mighty Ducks 2.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

I know the Leafs did it.

Edit: Looked it up. They put Curtis Joseph in for Toskala.

Maple Leafs switch goalies in shootout, still lose 3-2 to Anaheim

Don’t think it was all that common a thing like coldsteel made it seem. Made it seem to me anyway, not looking for a fight. That’s the only time I remember it happening.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

Got damn. Lehner's like...

tenor.gif

Because he really is not good at shootouts.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

I remember it happening from hockey highlights those first few years. Can’t recall specific instances.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Either can I. I know it has happened but just can't remember it.

Well, there were obviously good reasons it never caught on. Lehner steals enough points for us without winning shootouts. Hawks shooters just need to pick him up.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Robin Lehner better take in a lot of liquids before the @Nashville game. He's going to see a lot of pucks. Let's hope the Hawks show up this time.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
TBN-6-Lehner.png

In fact, his inner slot save percentage at 5-vs-5 has risen from .788 last season to .847 this season, while his high slot save percentage has risen from .924 last season to .963 this season, while his save percentage on perimeter shots has remained excellent. Those are gargantuan improvements considering the extremely difficult selection of shots he’s faced.

In fact, last season’s performance saw him save the Islanders about 0.42 goals per 60 minutes above what an average goaltender would be expected to do in that situation. Really great, but nothing compared to this season, where he’s saving 1.29 goals above expectations per 60 minutes of ice time at 5-vs-5. That is completely absurd.

Truth By Numbers: Evaluating improvement of Maple Leafs' Cody Ceci - Sportsnet.ca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad