Prospect Info: Robert Thomas (20th overall in 2017)

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
No thank you.

I'm greedy so I want Thomas at 3C and Tavares at 1C.

Tavares, Schenn, Thomas and Brodziak down the middle....don't pinch me brah, gotta stretch this fantasy out till early July when it can become reality.

If we can somehow convince Tavares that adding him to this current core PLUS Thomas, Kyrou and a few others is an incredible group of players?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Funny thing is, Thomas still won’t turn 19 for another month and a half.

It’s easy to forget how young he is for his draft year. Still 18, and already looking this good. Great sign.
Lol I just assumed he was 19 at this point(yea I'm too lazy to look at his BD).

He's so damn dominant.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don't care where he was drafted. All I care about is that he is Blues property and the potential that he has.

Amen to that. What matters going forward is how he plays against professionals.

Doug Gilmore is in the Hall of Fame, and he was the 134th player picked in his draft year.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
If we can somehow convince Tavares that adding him to this current core PLUS Thomas, Kyrou and a few others is an incredible group of players?
Imagine this team if we moved berglund, wpg1st and thompson for Kessel too. Then rolled

Fabbri(1M)-Tavares(11M)-Kessel
Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Steen-Thomas-Kyrou
Barbs-Sundqvist/brodz-Sundq/Jaskin

Eddy(4M)-Petro
Dunn-Parayko
Gunnar- Bortz.

Allen
Husso

W/ Bouw on LTIR we'd still have around 5 mill in space if tavares, fabbri and eddy signed those contracts(eddy and tavares would be long term)

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Imagine this team if we moved berglund, wpg1st and thompson for Kessel too. Then rolled

Fabbri(1M)-Tavares(11M)-Kessel
Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Steen-Thomas-Kyrou
Barbs-Sundqvist/brodz-Sundq/Jaskin

Eddy(4M)-Petro
Dunn-Parayko
Gunnar- Bortz.

Allen
Husso

W/ Bouw on LTIR we'd still have around 5 mill in space if tavares, fabbri and eddy signed those contracts(eddy and tavares would be long term)
Just posted something eerily similar in the trade thread, but I like your version better in that we lose Thompson but keep Kyrou.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Interesting. I would guess mostly precautionary, especially given that it’s likely not worth it for him to risk it if his ankle isn’t 100% since 1. it’s a very good chance he’s in the NHL and thus not available for the WJC and 2. if he is for some reason available for the WJC, he’s a lock to make the team so no real reason for him to go to essentially a summer tryout camp and risk tweaking the ankle. But then again, perhaps this is an indication his high ankle sprain could still be a problem in Sept...but I’d guess the former over the later.

Reactions: The Note in MI

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Interesting. I would guess mostly precautionary, especially given that it’s likely not worth it for him to risk it if his ankle isn’t 100% since 1. it’s a very good chance he’s in the NHL and thus not available for the WJC and 2. if he is for some reason available for the WJC, he’s a lock to make the team so no real reason for him to go to essentially a summer tryout camp and risk tweaking the ankle. But then again, perhaps this is an indication his high ankle sprain could still be a problem in Sept...but I’d guess the former over the later.
I would agree with this. I generally don't feel it's worthwhile to try to parse statements from a team's GM about his players, but I do seem to remember Army making a comment this summer about shutting Thomas down until training camp. I took that to mean he would not be playing in the showcase, and that we probably wouldn't see him in Traverse City either. That's a shame because I was really hoping to see him and Kyrou on a line against other prospects, but I guess that will have to wait until the September 18 pre-season opener against Dallas. I'm really hoping the Blues do an open house again this year on that night so we can see the improvements to the building and watch the game on the Jumbotron.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I would agree with this. I generally don't feel it's worthwhile to try to parse statements from a team's GM about his players, but I do seem to remember Army making a comment this summer about shutting Thomas down until training camp. I took that to mean he would not be playing in the showcase, and that we probably wouldn't see him in Traverse City either. That's a shame because I was really hoping to see him and Kyrou on a line against other prospects, but I guess that will have to wait until the September 18 pre-season opener against Dallas. I'm really hoping the Blues do an open house again this year on that night so we can see the improvements to the building and watch the game on the Jumbotron.

The TC tourney is pretty much a part of training camp though so I wouldn’t rule him out of that. It’s just the 3-4 days before main camp opens so pretty much the same timeframe either way.

But yeah, no real point in him pushing it to play in this showcase and hopefully he’s ready for camp/TC Tourney.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

This kid is special. He reminds me of McDavid with a little less speed. Unreal vision.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

This kid is special. He reminds me of McDavid with a little less speed. Unreal vision.

Mcdavid... no. McDavid has science defying vision.

I will say he shoots the puck like Matthews. Sometimes off balance and has a long sweep with a nasty flick of the wrist at the end.

Now that I think of it....didnt he say he mimics Matthews in one of his interviews last year since his release is somewhat unique

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Mcdavid... no. McDavid has science defying vision.

I will say he shoots the puck like Matthews. Sometimes off balance and has a long sweep with a nasty flick of the wrist at the end.

Now that I think of it....didnt he say he mimics Matthews in one of his interviews last year since his release is somewhat unique
Yea, he stated he studied tape of Matthews to improve his shot since that was the biggest knock on him going into the draft.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yea, he stated he studied tape of Matthews to improve his shot since that was the biggest knock on him going into the draft.
Good, glad I'm not crazy lol. He learned quick. Massive improvement and the stronger he gets, the more lethal it'll be. Matthews is a big boy with alot of leverage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->