Robert Hagg Re-signs with the Flyers (report: 2 years at $1.15 million cap hit per season)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

To be fair, Gordon is easily dumber than Hakstol.

It's obvious to the eyeball and the metrics that Hagg - Gudas is a horrible pairing, yet Gordon persists in keeping them together, I guess because they're "heavy hitters."

It doesn't take a genius to see that both players struggle handling the puck and getting it out of the D-zone, pairing them is asking for trouble.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
90ad68a8e4d30119f770b689feefbebc.png

Updated through February.

It was a career-worst month for Haggster, propped up by a 103 PDO. That was while playing with noted play driver Radko Gudas.

With Corsica gone, where are you finding xGF% stats?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Seeing Haggs's numbers, it makes it easier to say "just play Morin". Hagg's already the worst, so it can't get much worse, right?

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Except that if Morin isn't comfortable handling the puck, pairing him with Gudas would be a good way to deep six his confidence.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I desperately hope a team like Winnipeg sees value in him because of his price tag and control. If we could throw a 1st rounder+Hagg+2nd rounder in 2020 for Trouba because of their cap issues I’ll be rejoicing in the streets.
What are we trading Ghost for?

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
To be fair, Gordon is easily dumber than Hakstol.

It's obvious to the eyeball and the metrics that Hagg - Gudas is a horrible pairing, yet Gordon persists in keeping them together, I guess because they're "heavy hitters."

It doesn't take a genius to see that both players struggle handling the puck and getting it out of the D-zone, pairing them is asking for trouble.

I mean you say that but haggs toi is clearly down under Gordon. Gudas is the last man standing—Gordon has decided that provorov ghost sanheim and Myers are worthy of top four toi. Hakstol was, for a period, trotting hagg out there for almost 20 minutes a game.

Over the last month he’s been averaging around 16 a game, with a low of 12 and a high of 19.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I won't be surprised to see Hagg move on this summer and have a solid career with a team that pairs him with an undersized puck moving defenseman where he has limited responsibilities and isn't asked to do too much. Lots of these guys have 10+ year careers.

Fit is as important as talent when constructing a roster, most players have serious flaws, good coaches put them in situations and with other players that allow them to focus on strengths, not expose weaknesses.

Hagg, Gudas need puck moving defensemen so they don't have to do a lot of puck handling and skating.
One way forwards like Voracek and JVR need two way centers who can CYA.
Smurfs like Konency need big teammates on the ice that will make opposing players think twice about dirty hits (like yesterday).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I won't be surprised to see Hagg move on this summer and have a solid career with a team that pairs him with an undersized puck moving defenseman where he has limited responsibilities and isn't asked to do too much. Lots of these guys have 10+ year careers.

Fit is as important as talent when constructing a roster, most players have serious flaws, good coaches put them in situations and with other players that allow them to focus on strengths, not expose weaknesses.

Hagg, Gudas need puck moving defensemen so they don't have to do a lot of puck handling and skating.
One way forwards like Voracek and JVR need two way centers who can CYA.
Smurfs like Konency need big teammates on the ice that will make opposing players think twice about dirty hits (like yesterday).

Since he has even struggled with a reduced role, nah.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He's extremely terribad right now. He was passable the first month of the season, but he is now completely burned out. I think he's carrying too much weight for his frame much like Luke Schenn. He's as agile as a 16 wheeler and his brain is 5 seconds behind every play. Hasn't covered his man in front in weeks. Really super bad.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hagg being the worst defensemen is Hakstols fault. His coaching ruined him.

*just being consistent with the logic used to say Hakstol deserves praise for Sanheim

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I’ve still seen Hagg make a number of good plays on the boards, but the rest of his defensive zone game, from puck movement to coverage, has been very poor in the 2nd half.

I do think he’ll probably be traded in the summer, as the quality of depth defense is so sparse in the NHL, & he’s young, cheap, & has a few positives, that there will be multiple non-Corsi-obsessed teams who’d view him as an upgrade to their 3rd pair.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
He's extremely terribad right now. He was passable the first month of the season, but he is now completely burned out. I think he's carrying too much weight for his frame much like Luke Schenn. He's as agile as a 16 wheeler and his brain is 5 seconds behind every play. Hasn't covered his man in front in weeks. Really super bad.

This is his primary problem as a player. If he was smarter, he'd be the guy some people still wrongly think he is. He can't think the game at this level, it's as simple as that. All of his hits are him behind the play taking the wrong guy. Contrast that with Provorov and Myers, who are able to not only wedge the right guy along the walls, but also gain possession of the puck while doing it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is his primary problem as a player. If he was smarter, he'd be the guy some people still wrongly think he is. He can't think the game at this level, it's as simple as that. All of his hits are him behind the play taking the wrong guy. Contrast that with Provorov and Myers, who are able to not only wedge the right guy along the walls, but also gain possession of the puck while doing it.

Yeah he literally does NOTHING at an NHL level. He's an interesting case study in how GMs and Coachs are blinded by certain attributes in a player to the detriment of their team.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah he literally does NOTHING at an NHL level. He's an interesting case study in how GMs and Coachs are blinded by certain attributes in a player to the detriment of their team.
Meh...not a novel dynamic. See it in the working world. You get people in leadership positions that have technical but no people skills and vice "reversa" as my dad says with his accent. Hagg seems like one of those character type players that coaches like....work ethic or whatever. NHL skill or results be damned...

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I was being serious. Trading for Trouba is going to expose two of Ghost, Sanheim, and Myers to Seattle. And in this scenario we traded a lot of capital.

Yeah I don't see any scenario where adding Trouba or Karlsson and NOT moving a defensemen prior to the expansion draft for an upgrade elsewhere that we can protect makes any sense.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
My initial thought was whoever bumped this was a real Aho.

Crazy how bad he’s been to the eye and the numbers only back it up.

Fire FletchGordStok

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
I was being serious. Trading for Trouba is going to expose two of Ghost, Sanheim, and Myers to Seattle. And in this scenario we traded a lot of capital.
Not really. To me you expose him and karlson in that scenario. But if we pick up karlson he should be exposed as his contract will be super high. And less likely picked. But if he is we bridged the gap of having a solid veteran presence.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad