Robby Fabbri

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I don't understand the urgency of a few here to get Fabbri into the lineup. It will do him absolutely no harm to sit, watch and learn from the press box. He will still be practicing and traveling with the team and taking part in the camaraderie. He can then work his butt off in the offseason, and hopefully wow us in training camp.

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I really don’t know what to expect from Fabbri next year.

But,
1) He looks like his knee isn’t the problem. His speed and burst look like close to what he’s always had.
2) I don’t get the opinion to trade him. He’s not worth anything significant in return until he shows he can play an effective NHL game again. I would only trade him if it looks like he’ll be unable to make ace the 23 man roster in camp next year.

This is why it's irrational to trade him away. The fact that his speed and acceleration don't seem to be impaired shows that his problems are more related to the fact that his timing is way off because he's played only a few NHL games over the last 2 whole years. He has the instincts and muscle memory-related expectations of where he was (what his body did related to his brain's commands over the 3 full years before his injury. But, his body doesn't get him there. He has to work to "get up to speed". THAT's where that term came from. The NHL level is the highest level in The World. Reactions need to be the fastest of any level. It takes a lot of time playing to get back to that level. If you've ever played organised hockey at a fairly high level from late teens on, and missed several weeks or more of playing, you know it takes time to get your timing back. Or, if you've ever played while being sick, or fighting off an illness, you know how your body's memory tells you where your body or your swing on a shot, "should be" at any given instant, - but your body, or shot, or pass doesn't get where it should, because you can't skate as fast, or react to stimuli as fast, because your body is weaker and moving slower (to conserve strength and energy to fight off the illness. Once your timing is off (either by injury or long period of illness, it takes time to get it back to where it should be. At The NHL level, all the practices you can ever have won't get you ALL the way back to NHL game level. You'll still need to get in full minutes in 25-35 consecutive (or nearly) NHL regular season games after complete health returns, AND conditioning is back up to par.

As he is worth almost nothing to other NHL teams, until they see he has playing well at The NHL level for some weeks, it is best for The Blues to keep him as a "prospect". His salary is low enough for them to risk holding a roster space and paying him, to see if when his timing returns, he'll be 90% or more as effective as he was before his injury. That means he should be kept at LEAST through next season's Camp. His skating doesn't seem impaired, to me. He also doesn't seem to be afraid to risk injuring his knee again. I think it's just his having played in very few real league games over the last 2 years, that has him "rusty". When his timing is back, he should win a lot more races to the puck, be in better position on defence, be in better position to receive passes, trust himself more driving the net, make better passes, shoot better (get shots off faster, and shoot more accurately. When you are more confident from knowing everything is right with your body, timing and overall game, you become better at all facets of the game, and become a more aggressive player, as well. I wouldn't give up on him at the absolute worst time (when he is "worthless" to others-who would just wait for The Blues to release him, to then grab him for nothing). Let's give him a shot next pre-season. The odds of him turning into a solid, productive NHLer over the next 3 seasons, are better than those for most new prospects, and also better than bubble players like Sanford.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I have to eat some also. But he really needed to cover Buff on the 1st goal. He won board battles and did what he needed to do. I like him better then Sanford at this point.

What type of value does he have if he continues to play this way?

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I still believe in Fabbri. Probably got a bit of a blind spot for him, but at the time of his injury, he had become my favorite player.

I think if he can even get to 80% of what he was going to be, he can be the type of secondary scoring teams need to win and he’s still one of the faster skaters on this team.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Fabbri wasn’t fully developed when his injury happened. So we really don’t know his ceiling. He could actually become better than he was. I’m excited for the 2020 and beyond Fabbri. He knee will be a non issue and now it’s all about continuing his development for him.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
This needed a bump. Fabs was great once he got in the series! I personally will have my crow with buffalo sauce and a side salad with Imos dressing! He will score a couple against dallas or nashville!

Completely agree, Fabbri looks a hundred times more dangerous than Sanford out there.

If he can become even just a Perron type player that would be phenomenal.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Even when Fabb’s captained the Guelph Storm to victory he had a very high compete level. It always amazes me how the players on the Storm to this day keep in contact and support each other. In 2015 I met Tyler Bertuzzi (Fabb’s former LW) at the 2015 NHL draft. He had already been drafted two years prior and was there to support a former Storm teammate on his draft day. Of course Tyler had nothing but good things to say about his friend and former captain.

An “80%” playoff Fabb’s is not possible. He’s an all or nothing guy. Fabb’s just needs to remove some of the self imposed pressure he puts on himself and flow baby flow.

Last edited:

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Even when Fabb’s captained the Guelph Storm to victory he had a very high compete level. It always amazes me how the players on the Storm to this day keep in contact and support each other. In 2015 I met Tyler Bertuzzi (Fabb’s former LW) at the 2015 NHL draft. He had already been draft two years prior and was there to support a former Storm teammate on his draft day. Of course Tyler had nothing but good things to say about his friend and former captain.

An “80%” playoff Fabb’s is not possible. He’s an all or nothing guy. Fabb’s just needs to remove some of the sel imposed pressure he puts on himself and flow baby flow.

I remember even before the OHL, in his Minor Midget year, he captained the Mississauga Rebels to an OHL Cup win over the Toronto Marlboros. The Rebels were Fabbri and that’s about it while that Marlboros team consisted of Connor McDavid, Sam Bennett, Josh Ho-Sang, Roland McKeown and probably a few others I’m forgetting.

The bottom line is, the kid is a winner! He has that “eye of the tiger” that we all hear about and, if he’s healthy and up to speed, there is no question he’s going to help you win big games.

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
Only positive of his injuries is that we can keep him on a cheap contract. I personally think giving him a 2 year contract wouldn’t be bad if he continues to improve. I think it would give him a little more confidence in himself and see the trust/potential that the org sees in him. Glad to see him improving, it’s really nice though I do cringe at every time he goes for a hit or gets hit just outta habit.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
He looked like the Fabbri we saw in the playoffs a few years back. So much jump, and he was running over players. It made me really happy to see, as I’ve firmly been on the side of him being able to return to his old self at some point.

If he pots a goal or two early in the next round, I’d move him up with O’Reilly and Tarasenko. In that scenario, Sunny would move down to 4RW and create another shutdown line for us to use.

Fabbri-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Perron
Maroon-Bozak-Thomas
Steen-Barbashev-Sundqvist

These lines look like even more of a matchup nightmare for teams to line up against, IMO.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Fabbri's stats vs. Winnipeg:
CF%: 37.25
xGF%: 26.60

I think we should probably trade him for a high second round pick if we can get it. We have a lot of depth and only 4 draft picks this year the highest being a late 2nd.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

I think we should probably trade him for a high second round pick if we can get it. We have a lot of depth and only 4 draft picks this year the highest being a late 2nd.

Id rather wait and see him play fully healthy in 2020. ACL’s can take 2 years before they are 100% and he had B2B tears. He could be a great 3rd liner next year with 2nd line upside. I like his upside more than trading for a 2nd rounder.

Reactions: brokeu91

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012

Or maybe instead of blindly looking at stats like this on way too small of a sample size to matter, we could watch him play

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Very glad to see Fabbri getting the ice time now. He is the most talented of the four fourth-line left wingers competing for the spot and will help in the next series.

This also sets him up for next season. Rooting for this kid.

Reactions: Celtic Note

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Id rather wait and see him play fully healthy in 2020. ACL’s can take 2 years before they are 100% and he had B2B tears. He could be a great 3rd liner next year with 2nd line upside. I like his upside more than trading for a 2nd rounder.
Who is he replacing on the third line though? Maroon could be gone, but we also have Kyrou coming up. I think he probably does have a bit more upside than the second rounder, but we have a lot players competing for those bottom six spots and very little value in the draft this year. You also have to factor in the value of a draft picks ELC years.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Or maybe instead of blindly looking at stats like this on way too small of a sample size to matter, we could watch him play
I do watch the games. Sorry the stats say something you don't like.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Who is he replacing on the third line though? Maroon could be gone, but we also have Kyrou coming up. I think he probably does have a bit more upside than the second rounder, but we have a lot players competing for those bottom six spots and very little value in the draft this year. You also have to factor in the value of a draft picks ELC years.

We have injuries and also the expansion draft coming up. Id rather keep him for now.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Let's not do that.

This board was ready to move Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, SCHWARTZ!!!!!! and Dunn because these guys didnt torch the league on Oct 3.

Fabbri has not been perfect but look at what he's returning from. Who cares if a 2 game sample size isnt stellar. He's showing that he's physically back, the rest will follow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad