Robby Fabbri

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
He looks fast and able to get open, thats about it. His defense, physicality, ability to hold onto puck, awareness, and shot all seem lacking.

When thomas comes back both him and sandford are on the bubble.

We seem to be able to make playoffs easily this year so we have time to experiment but if him for sanford dont show anything when thomas comes back, we may need to make a trade at deadline to improve that lineup spot for playoffs

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
We seem to be able to make playoffs easily this year so we have time to experiment but if him for sanford dont show anything when thomas comes back, we may need to make a trade at deadline to improve that lineup spot for playoffs
We still have Kyrou and Kostin who would (if they earned it) deserve a look in that spot as well.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I think Fabbri has looked really solid in the small amount of time we've been able to see him. He's clearly skating well again, and his hockey sense is back to NHL speed. He's made a ton of good, skilled plays that he wasn't making after he hurt his shoulder this year. He is also NOT trying to force stupid plays, b/c he's pressing, which I think got him into a ton of trouble with the coaching staff last year. The issue for him is that he's a playmaker first and foremost, and he really excels at finding people on the rush and near the net. The problem is, he's playing with Bozak and Sanford. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I think Sanford is a total waste of space. Bozak is frankly just a guy. I've seen multiple times when Fabbri has won a puck and made a good pass, but had nothing come of it due to Sanford/Bozak doing nothing. The shift in the second period of yesterday's Islanders game Fabbri looked incredible, but he was mainly moving the puck with Dunn and Faulk. Hard to put up points when your linemates can finish/produce on their own either.

Overall, I think he's back to looking sneaky dangerous, and if he gets a couple of better linemates (Read: Thomas) I think he can start making an impact on the score sheet too.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think he is looking better than he was at pretty much any point last year and I disagree that his stickhandling isn't NHL caliber. It isn't a + attribute like it was before the injuries, but it is adequate. The shot looks awful.

I don't think he is on the same bubble as Sanford. If Thomas returned tomorrow, I wouldn't even consider scratching Fabbri over Sanford. Fabbri might be competing with MacMac, but Sanford already 'lost' that battle to MacMac. I'd like to see Fabbri for a number of games where he isn't needed to be the 2nd best player on that 3rd line. That's where he has been at with Sanford/MacMac on the other wing. I'm not sold that he ever finds it again, but he has shown me enough improvement over last season to merit a continued look in the lineup.

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
put him on the second line for a bit against a not-so-good team just to try it out. i want to scream seeing him on that third line.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
put him on the second line for a bit against a not-so-good team just to try it out. i want to scream seeing him on that third line.

Perron-ROR-Blais
Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko

Fabbri doesn't deserve to take anyone's job in that group...though Blais may help the 3rd line look competent if that switch were made. Blais-Bozak-Thomas may be productive.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
fabbri likely needs to be in the top six get his offense going and to have any regular success with it

swap him and schwartz on a few shifts and see what he brings

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I think Fabbri has looked really solid in the small amount of time we've been able to see him. He's clearly skating well again, and his hockey sense is back to NHL speed. He's made a ton of good, skilled plays that he wasn't making after he hurt his shoulder this year. He is also NOT trying to force stupid plays, b/c he's pressing, which I think got him into a ton of trouble with the coaching staff last year. The issue for him is that he's a playmaker first and foremost, and he really excels at finding people on the rush and near the net. The problem is, he's playing with Bozak and Sanford. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I think Sanford is a total waste of space. Bozak is frankly just a guy. I've seen multiple times when Fabbri has won a puck and made a good pass, but had nothing come of it due to Sanford/Bozak doing nothing. The shift in the second period of yesterday's Islanders game Fabbri looked incredible, but he was mainly moving the puck with Dunn and Faulk. Hard to put up points when your linemates can finish/produce on their own either.

Overall, I think he's back to looking sneaky dangerous, and if he gets a couple of better linemates (Read: Thomas) I think he can start making an impact on the score sheet too.
The bolded is why I think it might be a good idea to shuffle things around a bit when Thomas gets back and put Thomas (a playmaker) with Schenn (more of a finisher) and drop Tarasenko (a finisher/sniper) down with Fabbri and Bozak (two playmakers). I'm concerned that a long term Fabbri-Bozak-Thomas line might get really frustrating to watch with all three of them making ridiculous passes, but no one particularly interested in shooting. Tarasenko has never traditionally needed a playmaker to excel in that he tends to create on his own, but feeding him the puck in space and letting him "do what he do" can't be a bad thing, right?

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
Perron-ROR-Blais
Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko

Fabbri doesn't deserve to take anyone's job in that group...though Blais may help the 3rd line look competent if that switch were made. Blais-Bozak-Thomas may be productive.
I agree. It's just a rough spot. Imo he's not a bottom 6 player because of the type of player he is (was?). That's why I can kinda get behind the idea of trading him off to a team with a not-so-good top 6 just to get his game back. Unfortunate situation all around, unless he finds his COMPLETE game again.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
The instincts are still there but he is struggling to maintain puck possession in the offensive zone. Maybe that will come with time, but time isn't a luxury when considering the Blues have several players chomping at the bit to get their shot.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
I think he is looking better than he was at pretty much any point last year and I disagree that his stickhandling isn't NHL caliber. It isn't a + attribute like it was before the injuries, but it is adequate. The shot looks awful.

I don't think he is on the same bubble as Sanford. If Thomas returned tomorrow, I wouldn't even consider scratching Fabbri over Sanford. Fabbri might be competing with MacMac, but Sanford already 'lost' that battle to MacMac. I'd like to see Fabbri for a number of games where he isn't needed to be the 2nd best player on that 3rd line. That's where he has been at with Sanford/MacMac on the other wing. I'm not sold that he ever finds it again, but he has shown me enough improvement over last season to merit a continued look in the lineup.

That's certainly his biggest challenge at the moment. His shot absolutely has no zip/power behind it. Reminds me of Tarasenko's shot last season before his shoulder fully healed, it just lacked any sort of power behind it. More practice time, more in-game activity, just more time in general, should help him get his shot back.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think Fabbri needs more icetime to florish. It might not get him going if he plays ~10:00min TOI/GP.

NHL.com - Stats

I don't would it be ideal Fabbri get more icetime at powerplay. Compare to Bozak for instead? Bozak is having double icetime at powerplay compare to Fabbri. Maybe Fabbri's leg speed and faster pace entering zone would help powerplay compare to Bozak. Idk.
Lurking last season PPP vs. PP total icetime.

NHL.com - Stats

Last edited:
Reactions: Nathaniel Lauharn

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The instincts are still there but he is struggling to maintain puck possession in the offensive zone. Maybe that will come with time, but time isn't a luxury when considering the Blues have several players chomping at the bit to get their shot.
Several? Not really. Sanford, Mac, Kostin, and Kyrou. 2 of those have Fabbri(healthy) upside and 2 arent even close. There are some AHL journeymen, but meh

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Several? Not really. Sanford, Mac, Kostin, and Kyrou. 2 of those have Fabbri(healthy) upside and 2 arent even close. There are some AHL journeymen, but meh
Kostin and Kyrou are getting close. I would even say guys like Poganski and Walker will get a shot with the main club if Fabbri continues to lack production. They don't have Fabbri's upside when healthy, but I find it improbable that the current iteration of Fabbri reaches that upside either.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I think we need to give fabbri time after thomas gets back with that line. Bozak isn't much of a driver, more of a heady player that reads off his linemates, sanford is honestly just bad right now, he's not posessing pucks, he's not physically dominating anybody or creating anything on the ice. I agree fabbri has looked faster, but also a little off in terms of making plays, but at the end of the day, look who's with him. I think Fabbri(who can finish and used to be a big time goal scorer) with his speed and hands will fit really well with this line once Thomas comes back and can be the main "Driver" and playmaker of the line.

And, if Fabbri doesn't work out, I've been watching San Antonio this year(bought AHL TV) in my spare time. There are definitely some guys down there who could come in and fill a role on that 3rd line. Obviously kostin is my first choice, love where his game is at right now, but even a guys like Walker, Ryan Olsen, Poganski and Vecchione can come up and fill bottom 6 roles(olsen/poganski probably the best fit in a bottom 6 role, Olsen plays a similiar game to sundqvist, tho walker could make some plays on a thomas and bozak line)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Kostin and Kyrou are getting close. I would even say guys like Poganski and Walker will get a shot with the main club if Fabbri continues to lack production. They don't have Fabbri's upside when healthy, but I find it improbable that the current iteration of Fabbri reaches that upside either.
I think we need a larger sample size for Fabbri before we go down that road. I dont think he's hurting the Club, especially when you factor in his salary vs some other guys who arent lighting up the score sheet. My concern was his mobility, which at this point been put to rest. I don't think the instincts go away, especially at 22. I'm not sure where everyone stands on a time table but unless Fabbri becomes a negative impact player, I see no reason to not give him till game 41.

I do agree on Walker/Poganski but that that's what I was referring to in AHL journeyman. I think they could spot fill and build some excitment but wouldn't maintain. Similar to Agastino(sp) a few years ago.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Great to see Fabs get his first of the year tonight against the canucks. His skating/stick handling/shooting/hustle/etc all look fine to me...the biggest thing I've noticed in his game so far is just a slight indecisiveness or delay in his decision making. Comes down to confidence IMO.

Hopefully he can keep building confidence and earning more minutes as this year progresses. I'm excited to see how Robby BIG TIME Fabbri progresses in the coming weeks.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I'd rather see Fabbri play more consistent minutes than MacMac or Sandford.

I think if he got more minutes we would have a much better idea if he is back on the trajectory we thought he was on pre injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad