Robby Fabbri

El Cohiba

Jul 3, 2011
under the sunshine
Hasn't played since the Carolina game. For those of you in the know more than me, what gives? Injured again, healthy scratch? Odds that he has a NHL future? Such a shame he is made out of glass, he really excited me after his first season.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Healthy scratch, maybe some aches and pains, but I dont think hes been on the injury report. He wasnt very good this year, but other players have fit into the 3rd-4th line role better and have gotten the playing time down the stretch. IMO, physical rehab is just as important as playing for him, but I am skeptical that he will ever be the same skater.

Reactions: Blueston

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Two things come to mind:

1) He's missed so much hockey that he is out of synch and can't really produce this season.
2) They want him to stay healthy and get stronger. That stupid check into the boards a few months ago where he hurt his shoulder was unnecessary. Next season is his window of opportunity to show what he can do.

Reactions: 67Blues

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Two things come to mind:

1) He's missed so much hockey that he is out of synch and can't really produce this season.
2) They want him to stay healthy and get stronger. That stupid check into the boards a few months ago where he hurt his shoulder was unnecessary. Next season is his window of opportunity to show what he can do.
It’s unnecessary to hit a guy in a hockey game? Alright then.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Fabbri should get icetime. He's got that difference maker gift. On ice he could find his game, but not from pressbox. We know what Maroon is and does bring in the game. We're in the Playoff spot and we could easily give Maroon time to heal up, 'cus he isn't 100% heatlhy.

Just saying if we wan't find that bottom 6 difference maker to the post-season.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Fabbri should get icetime. He's got that difference maker gift. On ice he could find his game, but not from pressbox. We know what Maroon is and does bring in the game. We're in the Playoff spot and we could easily give Maroon time to heal up, 'cus he isn't 100% heatlhy.

At this point we may see Fabbri on the 2nd line with Maroon.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Jesus man, you are obsessed. I know you hate Maroon but he's scoring at a better rate than Fabbri this year, and unlike Fabbri he can actually stand up for his teammates if necessary. So many of you game want to make a lineup as if you're playing PlayStation hockey, just make the best 4 offensive lines possible. But in the NHL roles matter. I'm sure the coaching staff has a good reason for not playing Fabbri more and I trust Berube a lot more than some obsessed Finn.

You need to find a new hobby bud. Or maybe you can start a poll about who our 3rd line LW is.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Fabbri can show what he has in practice. If he looks good enough, he will get be inserted into the lineup.

The Fabbri I have seen with the Blues this year is not up to speed.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Jesus man, you are obsessed. I know you hate Maroon but he's scoring at a better rate than Fabbri this year, and unlike Fabbri he can actually stand up for his teammates if necessary. So many of you game want to make a lineup as if you're playing PlayStation hockey, just make the best 4 offensive lines possible. But in the NHL roles matter. I'm sure the coaching staff has a good reason for not playing Fabbri more and I trust Berube a lot more than some obsessed Finn.

You need to find a new hobby bud. Or maybe you can start a poll about who our 3rd line LW is.
I've come to the point where I've accepted the eye test doesn't mean much. With that said, I'm still not going to agree with Berube, Pat Maroon does not need to get the assignments he gets. The only you said that he does have over Fabbri is fighting and that isnt worth much when the Blues need goals. I'm not at practices but I have a hard time believing Fabbri cant beat Maroon one on one.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Even leaving Maroon out of it, I don’t understand why Fabbri can’t get in there for Sanford every so often. Sanford doesn’t bring much to the table and hasn’t all year aside from one good stretch a couple months ago with ROR.

Last edited:
Reactions: STLomacneko

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Okey you need to calm down. I don't hate Maroon. I just don't see him giving that needed level where he was before he was banged up at trainings. Last night he was slow as hell and majority of time plays died in his hands. If you go throught earlier games I've give credit to Maroon's plays. He bring nicely puck possession game in corners what Blues have missed after Berglund was traded.

It have gone all south in your bashing mode against me. I get it I'm not guy who goes with flow and cheer blindly for hyped veteran hometown boy who is in every commercials what they can show in breaks. I get its good story, but if he can't play that level I rather give him time for heal up and give guy like Fabbri has his time. Its not like we're going to lose games if Maroon play or not. Its good Maroon can fight, but last night there was 3 Bluenote who were injured and does that Maroon goony presence prevent that not to happend, shit no.

If Blues wants to fight deep run for playoffs they need to give guys like Fabbri who has struggled for long time and give them icetime. Those are guys who are going to be difference makers at post-season when first 2 lines are shutdown and we need bottom 6 to shine.

Reactions: Zamadoo

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I agree that Fabbri isn't close to the same Fabbri he was pre-injury and he needs to get up to speed. How can he get up to speed if he's not playing? He needs playing time. I would never advocate Fabbri getting playing time by taking a player who is playing well out of the lineup. But Fabbri can't start some games over Sanford? That's my biggest issue. If he's riding the bench because there's legitimately no spot for him on the roster, then fine. But seeing Sanford in over him doesn't make sense to me.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I agree that Fabbri isn't close to the same Fabbri he was pre-injury and he needs to get up to speed. How can he get up to speed if he's not playing? He needs playing time. I would never advocate Fabbri getting playing time by taking a player who is playing well out of the lineup. But Fabbri can't start some games over Sanford? That's my biggest issue. If he's riding the bench because there's legitimately no spot for him on the roster, then fine. But seeing Sanford in over him doesn't make sense to me.

Tells you what Berube thinks of his game.
And honestly, if Chief gets re-signed to be the coach of the Blues, the writing is on the wall for a Fabbri trade unless this organization's depth suddenly dries up.
If he can't beat the likes of Maroon, MacEachern, Blais & Sanford for playing time now, it's not going to get any easier as guys get healthier and graduate through the system.
I get he's rusty...but he's also pretty bad, and playing 29 NHL games over the past 25 months is simply an unfortunate byproduct of a situation that sucks for the club as well as the player. Pro-sports isn't big on "what ifs" and "reclamation projects", at least not amongst clubs that are focused on winning in the present. It would be cool to see him come back and through sheer will make himself an impact player with the Blues, but it's a long shot based on what he's shown thus far and the organizational depth he's going to have to overcome.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Sanford is vastly outplaying Fabbri off the puck. I'm not a big Sanford fan and Fabbri was one of my favorite Blues pre-injury. I'm rooting for him as hard as anyone. But if we are talking about who is/can contribute on the ice, Fabbri hasn't earned a spot over Sanford. Fabbri showed some flashes a couple weeks ago and I thought he was turning the page and ready to break out. Then he went south again and had arguably his worst game of the year against Carolina.

Sanford has an expected +/- of +6 through 48 games while Fabbri is at -1.1 through 29 games. Actual +/- (which is IMO way less reliable) is +5 to -5 in favor of Sanford. Sanford's possession numbers are noticeably better than Fabbri's despite less favorable zone starts and Sanford's relative possession numbers are drastically better. I don't think Sanford is bringing any offensive play beyond Fabbri over the last couple months, but he is costing the team fewer goals/chances against. Fabbri needs to contribute offensively to force Sanford out of the lineup and he is not.

I'd like to see Fabbri get every chance possible. But the reality is that he is getting outplayed by Sanford at the moment.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Sanford is vastly outplaying Fabbri off the puck. I'm not a big Sanford fan and Fabbri was one of my favorite Blues pre-injury. I'm rooting for him as hard as anyone. But if we are talking about who is/can contribute on the ice, Fabbri hasn't earned a spot over Sanford. Fabbri showed some flashes a couple weeks ago and I thought he was turning the page and ready to break out. Then he went south again and had arguably his worst game of the year against Carolina.

Sanford has an expected +/- of +6 through 48 games while Fabbri is at -1.1 through 29 games. Actual +/- (which is IMO way less reliable) is +5 to -5 in favor of Sanford. Sanford's possession numbers are noticeably better than Fabbri's despite less favorable zone starts and Sanford's relative possession numbers are drastically better. I don't think Sanford is bringing any offensive play beyond Fabbri over the last couple months, but he is costing the team fewer goals/chances against. Fabbri needs to contribute offensively to force Sanford out of the lineup and he is not.

I'd like to see Fabbri get every chance possible. But the reality is that he is getting outplayed by Sanford at the moment.
To me the argument is Fabbri needs to play to get that back. Weather that's a correct assumption, idk.

Reactions: STLomacneko

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
To me the argument is Fabbri needs to play to get that back. Weather that's a correct assumption, idk.

And that is a totally fair argument. If I were the coach, I'd be playing Fabbri a bit more in an effort to jump start his game. If Army had the lineup control some people on this board believe he has, I think we would be seeing Fabbri in the lineup more often. But that is a different argument than the people saying "I'd be fine if he was sitting because there isn't a spot in the lineup, but it's absurd that he isn't playing over Sanford." He is getting outplayed by Sanford by a noticeable margin.

At the end of the day, this board was all over Yeo for a lack of accountability and (IMO accurately) perceived double standards. The message out of the locker room right now is that Berube brought a new level of accountability into the room. We all wanted a meritocracy. I don't think we can have it both ways and want a meritocracy but also want Fabbri to get ice time over guys who are outplaying him because it is in the best interest for his development.

Reactions: Halak Ness Monster

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
And that is a totally fair argument. If I were the coach, I'd be playing Fabbri a bit more in an effort to jump start his game. If Army had the lineup control some people on this board believe he has, I think we would be seeing Fabbri in the lineup more often. But that is a different argument than the people saying "I'd be fine if he was sitting because there isn't a spot in the lineup, but it's absurd that he isn't playing over Sanford." He is getting outplayed by Sanford by a noticeable margin.

At the end of the day, this board was all over Yeo for a lack of accountability and (IMO accurately) perceived double standards. The message out of the locker room right now is that Berube brought a new level of accountability into the room. We all wanted a meritocracy. I don't think we can have it both ways and want a meritocracy but also want Fabbri to get ice time over guys who are outplaying him because it is in the best interest for his development.
All that makes sense, it just feels Fabbri is an outlier given his circumstance. Physically he looks close to what he was. Getting thrown into a game once every other week isnt going to do him any favors.

Imo getting Fabbri back to form offers alot more then Sanford's "not hurting" the team.

Fabbri really would have benefited from being AHL eligible this year.

Reactions: MissouriMook

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
The shortest leash on the roster.

“He’s been practicing hard. We like what we see in practice.”

*Fabbri inserted into lineup*

Yeah those little practice scrimmages.. nothing like the actual game, huh.... who woulda thought.

*Fabbri turns over puck once or twice after finally playing a game*

Peace out fabs, cya in 3 weeks.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The shortest leash on the roster.

“He’s been practicing hard. We like what we see in practice.”

*Fabbri inserted into lineup*

Yeah those little practice scrimmages.. nothing like the actual game, huh.... who woulda thought.

*Fabbri turns over puck once or twice after finally playing a game*

Peace out fabs, cya in 3 weeks.

He played in 6 of 8 games in the last 2 weeks of February.

He played 8 of 10 at the very end of December and start of January.

He played 15 games from 11/1/18-12/1/18.

They are giving him stretches of games and are absolutely not yanking him out of the lineup and sitting him for weeks based on 1 or 2 game samples. Let's at least acknowledge the staff's actual handling of him if we're criticizing the way the staff is handling him. They are giving him sustained looks and then sitting him out for sustained periods when they feel he isn't playing well enough.

Reactions: Halak Ness Monster

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Fabbri has, without a doubt, been one of our 2-3 worst forwards this year. That is why he is sitting.

He isn't good defensively and he has 5 points in 29 games. There is zero value there.

Fans kid themselves by saying "he has looked better these last few games". He hasn't. Those little glimpses of high end skill he flashes every now and then don't mean he is getting better. He has been pretty bad all year long and the coaches see it.

Just have to hope he gets better next year as he gets his legs back. We shouldn't have expected much this year.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->