Robby Fabbri

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
All that makes sense, it just feels Fabbri is an outlier given his circumstance. Physically he looks close to what he was. Getting thrown into a game once every other week isnt going to do him any favors.

Imo getting Fabbri back to form offers alot more then Sanford's "not hurting" the team.

Fabbri really would have benefited from being AHL eligible this year.

The flip side to this is that since the start of December, the team is 6-7-2 with him in the lineup and 21-7-2 with him out of the lineup. I'm not saying that there is complete causation there, but it is absolutely something you have to consider when arguing that it's worth icing a less-than-best lineup in favor of helping a guy get back into form. Both times we have pulled him out of the roster in 2019 have been while the team hit a mini-skid with him in the lineup. It's not unreasonable to suggest that the team also feels that getting him back into form should take precedence over a safer play in Sanford, but felt the need to adjust that view when there began to be signs that the wheels were coming off and the team needed to get itself out of a skid.

I totally agree that the AHL would have been ideal for him. I'd like to see the CBA modified to allow teams to put guys coming off major injuries in the AHL on a defined 'extended condition' basis where the player still receives full NHL-level salary and still has their cap hit count in full against the NHL team. That would discourage teams from abusing it to make cap issues go away but would allow for long term rehabilitation that isn't really available today.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Fabbri has, without a doubt, been one of our 2-3 worst forwards this year. That is why he is sitting.

He isn't good defensively and he has 5 points in 29 games. There is zero value there.

Fans kid themselves by saying "he has looked better these last few games". He hasn't. Those little glimpses of high end skill he flashes every now and then don't mean he is getting better. He has been pretty bad all year long and the coaches see it.

Just have to hope he gets better next year as he gets his legs back. We shouldn't have expected much this year.

I agree with you.

If the Blues were at the bottom of the league now, I suppose they could put Fabbri in the lineup for the rest of the season and hope that regular playing time would help him get better. Or, if the Blues were like the 1976-1977 Montreal Canadiens, loaded with talent and blowing everyone away, it would be different.

But what we have is a team that has to battle it out every night to get victories and make it into the playoffs. Fabbri hasn't been good enough to contribute and he has to sit.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Kind of a silly take.
The kid has hockey IQ it’s just that he hasn’t played in almost 2 YEARS!
It really can take awhile to get into the swing of things especially with an injury like he had.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he was traded but it’s definitely a change of scenery/selling low kind.
It's a crap situation for him. He needs playing time but he's struggling in the NHL.

Wouldnt take long to regret trading the guy.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I have absolutely no idea how to handle the situation with Fabbri other than to treat him like any other player that's just not getting it done. Bench him and he has to accept that's part of being a pro and keep working which I think he gets or at least he's been a pro long enough that he should understand.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I have been a big supporter of giving Fabbri more games and a single bad game isn't going to change that. The kid's problems comes from rust, he needs to play to knock off that rust. Whether that is a conditioning stint or getting him every other game, that is what needs to happen.

Reactions: Spektre

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I have been a big supporter of giving Fabbri more games and a single bad game isn't going to change that. The kid's problems comes from rust, he needs to play to knock off that rust. Whether that is a conditioning stint or getting him every other game, that is what needs to happen.
I agree. But if you can’t compensate for his mistakes against the bottom teams in the league, it’s hard to justify playing him if it costs points. A healthy Blues’ roster could absorb it better. It’s the same conundrum we saw with Kyrou and Thomas early in the year.

Girth Butcher

Mar 15, 2014
St. Louis
I also think he’s playing a different style than he ever has. He’s always been a Top 6 guy. 4th line playing style is different than he’s probably used to.

Let’s be honest, if he didn’t have those knee injuries, he’s probably a top 6 guy. Can he get back to that level? Time will tell, I just hope it doesn’t happen in a different organization.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I agree. But if you can’t compensate for his mistakes against the bottom teams in the league, it’s hard to justify playing him if it costs points. A healthy Blues’ roster could absorb it better. It’s the same conundrum we saw with Kyrou and Thomas early in the year.

Exactly. Winning games is more important than getting Fabbri ice time. If we're handing out ice time to guys just because we hope and believe they'll get better, then Kyrou should have been up all year.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Maybe Fabbri has a trick shoulder. Rewind the season tape and he looked a lot better before his shoulder injury. A trick shoulder is going to affect his play. Maybe the coaches play him sparingly so we have a guy that can rotate into the lineup as needed. Then after the season is over he gets the shoulder repaired.

Right now he’s a body and we need backups badly. Fabbri had such a great future in the NHL. It’s sad he did nothing for those two off years off to bulk up. The guy has very little upper body to show and that’s a recipe for more injuries.

Foomp Dugan

Mar 29, 2012
I was all for Fabbri getting in the lineup against Ottawa. But then he blew the defensive assignment that cost us the one goal that it took to beat us.

He was my favorite up and coming player pre-injury. I was hoping he would come back strong. But as stated, he didn’t do himself any favors by not really adding any upper body strength.

Sanford hasn’t done much either, but he does deserve to be in the lineup over Fabbri. The best thing for Fabs is to finish out the season getting spot games here and there. Then work on his strength in the offseason and come back fresh next year with a full offseason and training camp to get back up to speed.

He is an RFA this offseason, so a lower end one year bridge contract might give him some motivation to get back to where we all hoped he would be at this point in his career.

Reactions: Blueston

tkenney65

Dec 21, 2017
Seems like sometimes posters focus solely on the flashiness and speed factor that guys like Kyrou and Fabbri bring to the game. Don't get me wrong, the Blues need scoring badly other than the first line, but effective play in the defensive zone is equally important. I truly feel this is what the coaches see and is the reason why Kyrou and Fabbri aren't put back in the lineup. I agree Sanford isn't putting points up on the board and has looked flat at times, but he is less of a defensive liability than these two.

Reactions: Blueston

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Fabbri can bounce back. I am not sure why he is struggling, but the player I remember before his injuries, I do know I like a lot. I am not sure if his injuries have caught up with him. But knowing the type of character he has, I wouldn't count him out.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
He needs an AHL stint to get back up to speed Imo. I am on the fence trading him because I feel it would bite us down the road. I feel hes the real deal and the nice part is we still have time to figure it out.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Fabbri can bounce back. I am not sure why he is struggling, but the player I remember before his injuries, I do know I like a lot. I am not sure if his injuries have caught up with him. But knowing the type of character he has, I wouldn't count him out.

The one thing he doesn't lack is heart. He's just horribly out of sync right now.

Reactions: blues hillbilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad